Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm in a weird situation. I live in Phoenix now, lost my job in March and just want to get out of here as fast as possible. I have enough in savings to move as far as Boston at my own expense (including deposit/rent at a new place, breaking my lease, moving expenses, etc.) but don't have enough to live anywhere after the move without a job. I have an MA in English and am looking (ideally) for jobs in technical writing, copywriting, proofreading, editing, writing, etc. and have 4 years of experience in that field. Right now I'm looking in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego, but the lion's share of relevant jobs keep popping up in Boston, New York, DC and Chicago. I have a partner who can live anywhere, but does need to be close to a major airport for commuting, so I can't really move to a smaller town or be too far from a city.

I just had a few questions:

-Can anyone recommend any other city that may have some decent job postings?
-Although I specifically say "I intend to relocate to (city name) permanently" in my cover letter, will my out-of-state address hurt me?
-Aside from mainstream job boards, does anyone know of any other places to look for work in any of those cities?
-Does anyone know anything about landing a job in any of those cities?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment