Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,910,585 times

Advertisements

I can relate. When I was in graduate school. The college career counselor was a major nag. She kept nagging and griping how she didn't like the city and didn't want to work. Everything she said was sarcastic and annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No but when someone complains and says they hate their job in front of the clients they are counseling then it's time to be terminated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:40 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,212,692 times
Define less stress? Hmmmmm, the job I have now comes with no stress. Zip, zero, zilch. I have tasks, and a reasonable amount of time to complete them along with all of the tools I need to do my job correctly. I do A/P & A/R for 5 business entities under the parent company.

We work with volatile chemicals, live bacteria, and clients. I have yet to see any stress, drama, or perceived emergencies in my department or any other department. People walk in the building with smiles on their faces and walk out at the end of the day with smiles on their faces. It is a fabulous working environment with good bosses and a great owner.

Before this I had a small business. No stress there either. I was a one man show. I did marketing, scheduling, web design, and performed service to the customers (no, not a prostitute). I worked with live animals.

Not everyone thrives in the same environment. Jobs with unrealistic expectations, tight deadlines, crappy bosses, etc. make me crazy.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,377,564 times
Quote:
No but when someone complains and says they hate their job in front of the clients they are counseling then it's time to be terminated
Were you her boss or direct supervisor? That's not your issue, if not.

My take on co-worker problems is always to lend a hand. But if I am not higher than them in the chain of command, then it's not my ultimate responsibility to discipline them.

It is unprofessional to say in front of customers to say one hates their job, but again, not the concern of anybody other than direct supervisors/line managers.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:02 PM

5,005 posts, read 7,208,566 times
Quote:
She says she is stressed and that are way too many unrealistic deadlines for us to meeet on a daily basis. Well it sounds to me she should be flipping burgers because what professional job doesn't have deadlines? She also we are pressured to get things done and there is never enough time-lol

So bascally what you have here is a person who has

Poor Time Management
Doesn't work well under pressure
Unable to meet tight deadlines

I would love to see where will be working next with all of those great skills. Some people just don't understand.
Man, you must be a ball to work with. Gossip much?

Old 09-25-2010, 05:37 PM

45,231 posts, read 60,385,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So she would rather live under a bridge and eat Twinkies for a living? Hmm okay. Sounds realistic.

Was this woman black or Hispanic? I'm getting the sense that she was mobbed out.

I was waiting for the above.

TVSG, speaking about productivity, aren't you the one who has to stay late most nights because you can't meet deadlines? All the while complaining about those who do meet their deadlines leaving when they're supposed to?
And aren't you the one who was facing discipline a few weeks ago for lack of productivity? And a couple weeks before that some discipline was planned because you couldn't get to work by 9? So your schedule was "adjusted". Then you thought it would be cool to sit in the break room eating your breakfast while your colleagues, who could come in on time, went about their jobs?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,910,585 times
I believe what he describes. It's his view of an already dysfunctional workplace. And, I attribute it to the corporate culture and the supervisors who are probably doing a terrible job. It's not a one man show/carnival of disruptive behaviors. If it is then get this man a unicycle, some pink tights, and a jester hat!!!! Put him to use!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I was waiting for the above.

TVSG, speaking about productivity, aren't you the one who has to stay late most nights because you can't meet deadlines? All the while complaining about those who do meet their deadlines leaving when they're supposed to?
And aren't you the one who was facing discipline a few weeks ago for lack of productivity? And a couple weeks before that some discipline was planned because you couldn't get to work by 9? So your schedule was "adjusted". Then you thought it would be cool to sit in the break room eating your breakfast while your colleagues, who could come in on time, went about their jobs?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 PM

720 posts, read 3,004,778 times
Quote:
She says she is stressed and that are way too many unrealistic deadlines for us to meeet on a daily basis. Well it sounds to me she should be flipping burgers because what professional job doesn't have deadlines? She also we are pressured to get things done and there is never enough time-lol

Poor Time Management

I would love to see where will be working next with all of those great skills. Some people just don't understand.
What's the point of this thread besides tooting your own horn that you don't imind being a worker bot slaving away for the man.

Many companies are laying off people and just throwing the workload onto the smaller number of employees making them work harder, more hours and un attainable deadlines with no additional pay for the additional work.

I am lucky in that I work a professional job and have a great work life balance, never take work home with me, never work at night never work weekends. If that changed I would leave in a second and find another job.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,630,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Man, you must be a ball to work with. Gossip much?
Actually, he just complains. No fun around the water cooler.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,377,564 times
Lol. This guy is funny though, I'll give him that.

Every thread more or less is about how some co-worker did x,y or z, and it made/makes him/her look silly.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,999,908 times
Quote:

Poor Time Management

Interesting how you are criticizing this individual for poor time management when you are unable to get to work on time, which forced your manager to change your work hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment