Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 34,343 times

Advertisements

Hello CD, I would really appreciate your input and suggestions regarding this issue

I am 20 years old and my work experience is in primarily customer service. I currently work at a credit union. I have attempted going to college several times but always end up dropping out, due to my lack of motivation and anxiety at my growing student loan debt. I don't like the restrictions of traditional schooling, but hesitate to attend an online university due to the stigma and outrageous costs.

I have always had a bit of an independent spirit and love the idea of being an entrepeneur or doing something a bit 'outside of the box'. The 9-5 work office lifestyle really doesn't appeal to me, although I'm willing to do what it takes to make ends meet and achieve my goals.

My interests include writing, graphic design, languages (particularly Spanish and Japanese), traveling, nature/walks and computers. As you can see, my interests are all across the board and I'm having trouble narrowing down these topics to find something that I could do for a career.

It bothers me that I don't have a set goal in mind, career-wise. I've thought about being an author, graphic designer, translator, geologist, animator, software designer, etc, but when I finally think that I've picked a path, I think of something new and more exciting that I could do instead, or the negative aspects of the career make me think that there's no way I could do it.

Can anyone offer advice or suggestions for someone in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Why don't you do an online university based out of a legitimate University? Hell, Even Harvard extension has online classes as do most well known universities. I took classes through Cal Poly and ERAUs online divisions.

Career wise, what about getting involved with a non-profit? Or maybe the Peace Corps? Then, you could travel, learn new languages and maybe write a book about your experiences

Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Why don't you do an online university based out of a legitimate University? Hell, Even Harvard extension has online classes as do most well known universities. I took classes through Cal Poly and ERAUs online divisions.

Career wise, what about getting involved with a non-profit? Or maybe the Peace Corps? Then, you could travel, learn new languages and maybe write a book about your experiences
Thank you for your suggestions That's a really great idea, I'll definitely look into online classes at the universities in my area.

I've considered the Peace Corps, but they require a 4-year degree or equivalent job experience. I have neither of those. But it's definitely something that I've thought about. I imagine that it would be incredibly rewarding to do something like that.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times
Burger King.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Burger King.
Thank you for that incredibly helpful post.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 PM

Think about it, you have no idea what you want to do, and of the things you want to do, you find excuses not to do it. You shy away from anything when the rules or restrictions or requirments make you uncomfortable.
Go to Burger King and get a job where you have nothing to think about except if they want fries with their food. You can have allt he time in the workld to watch some guy sitting their eating hisr dollar burgers while pouring over textbooks for his classes. As time goes on you'll see that same guy maybe buying a combo meal (full price) because he's working as as a ditch digger. A few years later that person is ordering a few meals for his co-worker that are the ones digging the ditches because he's now the supervisor. When you get promoted from 8th junior assistant manager of night window sales to 6th junior manager of condiment replacement, you can watch the supervisor of the dittch diggers going to the Outback across the street with his fellow managers to show them his new SUV he bought with his raise. When you finally get the position of first assistant manager and finally have some responsibility, you can watch that guy drive past as he heads towards the airport to catch a plane to Hawaii for his retriment with his pension, 401K, medical and social security. But hey, you and him are really no different except he didn;'t make an excuse not to do something.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Think about it, you have no idea what you want to do, and of the things you want to do, you find excuses not to do it. You shy away from anything when the rules or restrictions or requirments make you uncomfortable.
Go to Burger King and get a job where you have nothing to think about except if they want fries with their food. You can have allt he time in the workld to watch others sitting their eating their dollar burgers while pouring over textbooks for their classes. As time goes on your'll se those same people maybe buying a combo meal (full price) because they are working as a ditch digger. A few years later theat person is ordering a few meals for his co-worker that are the ones digging the ditches because he's now the supervisor. When you get promoted from 8th junior assistant manager of night window sales to 6th junior manager of condiment replacement, you can watch the supervisor of the dittch diggers going to the Outback across the street with his fellow managers to show them his new SUV he bought with his raise. When you finally get the position of first assistant manager and finally have some responsibility, you can watch that guy drive past as he heafds towards the airport to catch a plane to Hawaii for his retriment with his pension, 401K, medical and social security. But hey, you and him are really no different except he didn;'t make an excuse not to do something.
That's great, but how did he decide what he wanted to do in the first place? That's where my problem comes in. If I wanted to, I could continue working at this credit union and work my way up like other people have, so I would actually have a well paying job with benefits. I COULD do this, but I'm not passionate about it. It's a fantastic safety net, so if I decide to "make excuses" and not go for anything different, I'll still be making enough money to live comfortably. But I'm not asking for advice on how to make a lot of money, I'm asking how I can find my direction.

There are a lot of things that I'm interested in and I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I'm also certain that there are some opportunities that I haven't thought of and I am hoping to hear from people who may see my situation in a different way.

Also, I find it disgusting that you demean fast food workers in that way. If someone wants to work at burger king, does that make them a bad person? Just because they don't have a new SUV? Puh-lease. It makes me sick that people can't respect others life choices. There's way more to life than money and the 'prestige' that people think they gain by having careers like the one you idolize.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:04 PM

You do the same things you do when you buy a car, or a shirt, or what movie watch, sit down and decide what is it you want to acheive. If i want a dependable car, low gas mpg, easy to maintain, I;m not buying a camaro. If i wanta shirt to work in the yard, easy to clean but looks alright when I'm sitting on the prch, I;m not buying a italian silk shirt.

What do you want out of your career? is it money, creativity, freedom, mentaly stimulating? What? Of what your interested in, what meets that goal? its all about what you want from the career.

i wanted to travel, I wanted to meet other people in foreign lands, I wanted that extra bit of unknown, I wanted something that wasn't a 9-5, I wanted money, I wanted somethingt hat had staying power. I also had my list of don't wants. Sitting down i found the jobs that provided it and I figured out how to get the job. I will admit i was in the right place at the exact right time, but I was there because i made myself there enough that when it happened, here I am, ready and willing.

I don't put down the Burger King workers if that was their decission and they are happy, or if thats what is avauilabe but they are looking beyond. I do put down if they want something more but won't do anything to get that more and expect it to just fall in their laps one day. It may fall in their laps but if that happens and they start brush it aside because they worrying about if their laps will get dirty.

Treat finding out what you want to do like you must decide ASAP and follow through, Stop thinking aiout the but what if this or that and start thinking about what if I don't. I know people who with no education or work experience got the job of their dreams, they got it because they stopped dreaming about it and started working towards it.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
You do the same things you do when you buy a car, or a shirt, or what movie watch, sit down and decide what is it you want to acheive. If i want a dependable car, low gas mpg, easy to maintain, I;m not buying a camaro. If i wanta shirt to work in the yard, easy to clean but looks alright when I'm sitting on the prch, I;m not buying a italian silk shirt.

What do you want out of your career? is it money, creativity, freedom, mentaly stimulating? What? Of what your interested in, what meets that goal? its all about what you want from the career.

i wanted to travel, I wanted to meet other people in foreign lands, I wanted that extra bit of unknown, I wanted something that wasn't a 9-5, I wanted money, I wanted somethingt hat had staying power. I also had my list of don't wants. Sitting down i found the jobs that provided it and I figured out how to get the job. I will admit i was in the right place at the exact right time, but I was there because i made myself there enough that when it happened, here I am, ready and willing.

I don't put down the Burger King workers if that was their decission and they are happy, or if thats what is avauilabe but they are looking beyond. I do put down if they want something more but won't do anything to get that more and expect it to just fall in their laps one day. It may fall in their laps but if that happens and they start brush it aside because they worrying about if their laps will get dirty.

Treat finding out what you want to do like you must decide ASAP and follow through, Stop thinking aiout the but what if this or that and start thinking about what if I don't. I know people who with no education or work experience got the job of their dreams, they got it because they stopped dreaming about it and started working towards it.
Great advice, thank you

Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM

736 posts, read 524,250 times
Honestly I'm going to say Japanese animation/cartoons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment