U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM

19,126 posts, read 24,225,906 times

Advertisements

I made a simple mistake once at work (transposed two numbers) that ended up costing the company around $80,000.

Trust me. That's a screw up.

Luckily, my boss had made that same mistake a few months prior so he 'overlooked' it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,322,185 times
The issue is, will anyone catch this screw up? I have messed up at work, and just fixed the problem myself, did not involve anyone else. But, if they will find the mess, you better cop to it before they find it, fess up, and then take the heat, you will be respected for owning the problem, or put in the hole for being stupid and causing everyone more work. It depends on the boss. My boss, does not want to be bothered, and if you bother him with a mess, you are in trouble.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 AM

16,249 posts, read 19,270,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
I can't say what I did, but how do you handle it when you do something you KNOW will not only disappoint your boss, but make you look terrible in their eyes?

This is my second time in 3 months screwing up this big...I'm so angry at myself. It's all about attention to detail in DC....we work with such important people on such important issues. There's no room to screw up.

I've been at this job for 5 months. It's my first job after college. I want to do such a good job and I keep messing up on really stupid stuff. I don't know how to feel better or get better or whatever.

Have you ever screwed up big time at your job, and how did you get over it?? I'm so upset right now I can hardly focus.
How did I get over it? By making damn sure nobody found out it was me!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 AM

18,856 posts, read 28,322,185 times
I worked at a place once, where a nurse really messed up, and a person died. She knew she messed up, so she actually MOVED the dead person, to make it look like he had never made it to her floor. Then, she lied up and down that she had never known the guy was on her floor. No one could PROVE her wrong. It did change the process though about how patients are transferred, there has to be a sign off.

Another "mistake" a nurse gave someone the wrong amount of fluid, so the guy was really sick, and rather than fess up to her mistake, she said nothing, so the doctors did not know what the problem was..if she had copped to her error, the doctors could have easily corrected the problem. Instead, she had tried to correct the problem herself, and when it went wrong, and the guy coded, she still said nothing. And again, after an investigation, processes were changed, nurses could not alter machines without a supervising nurse sign off.

So...really, those are big time mistakes at work. And guess what...both of those nurses are still employed as nurses.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,652 times
Quote:
I can't say what I did, but how do you handle it when you do something you KNOW will not only disappoint your boss, but make you look terrible in their eyes?

This is my second time in 3 months screwing up this big...I'm so angry at myself. It's all about attention to detail in DC....we work with such important people on such important issues. There's no room to screw up.

I've been at this job for 5 months. It's my first job after college. I want to do such a good job and I keep messing up on really stupid stuff. I don't know how to feel better or get better or whatever.

Have you ever screwed up big time at your job, and how did you get over it?? I'm so upset right now I can hardly focus.
Hello,i just saw your post here, man, im in the same boat with you on this, well, i don't know if u have moved on and got better on this, hopefully you are gettting better, i wish i could add ur skype , wot is your skype name, please add my skype : brian_world
thanks
Brian

Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM

5,386 posts, read 2,608,506 times
Quote:

Say you were reviewing your work from before and you caught a mistake you made. Best case scenario your boss appreciates your honesty and recognizes your growth on the job b/c you caught your own mistake.

Worst case, he appreciates your honesty but removes some of your responsibilities.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM

880 posts, read 1,547,233 times
We always make mistakes. If you keep thinking about it, you're going to make a helluva lot more mistakes. Learn from your mistakes and don't keep instilling the "what if?" mentality in everything you do. Like a lot of people have mentioned, just keep a checklist. I've been really forgetful lately so I try to double check if I have done everything right. There is no perfect person in this world.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM

11,400 posts, read 12,061,261 times
You guys realize this thread is 3 years old? I'm sure a resolution has been found between now and then...

Old 06-05-2012, 09:36 PM

3,646 posts, read 8,776,862 times
I worked at a PO previously.

On my first weekend morning, working alone, sorting the mail, which HAS to be done prior to the carriers coming in, I locked myself out. Before even starting the mail. My cell phone had no service. I had to sit outside, waiting for a carrier to show up. Everyone was very kind about it, but after that, I put the key on a lanyard and wore it around my neck the entire time.

HUGE screw up. Things happen. The important thing is not to repeat any mistakes and not to make big ones very often. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,557,099 times
Quote:

It's natural to feel this obsessive, but we are not machines. We will always screw up from time to time. After 5 years at my job, I will go for about 8 months smooth sailing, then I will have a week where I do the same thing. Little errors, things I forget, and it will snowball because we are more worried than usual. If we relax, it will smooth out again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment