Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Indeed, but I don't read past threads (too impatient for that, rather read a book).
Did Valueworker previously - and gleefully - bash the unemployed?
Nope, he's never been guilty of that - but his work situation is an ongoing drama fest............he has tunnel vision and can't seem to grasp the situation for what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 AM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Nope, he's never been guilty of that - but his work situation is an ongoing drama fest............he has tunnel vision and can't seem to grasp the situation for what it is.
Drama fest indeed. There's always something going wrong.

Now about Soda's suggestion to take on extra work, a supervisor recently did give me a project that involves coming up with answers to the most common complaints, make these pissy customers happy and retain them. I suppose if I had training in retention marketing it would help. Needless to say, besides this one off project, the volume of work we handle nowadays is less than it was a few months back. Furthermore we just had a company meeting in which they announced that Q2 financial results were below expectations. Our General Manager gave us a pep talk that we should focus on retention too and that he didn't want to make us nervous, but that we should keep in mind that the company is struggling.

Anyway, about that tunnel vision, care to elaborate Opy?

More importantly, how do you folks suggest I handle Steve who won't give up (and even had the nerve to suggest he and I talk to the top management to allow him to the Saturday - which is one of my 2 full time shifts) ? I might mention the incident to my supervisor and tell her he's willing to do more, but that I can handle the workload myself, thank you very much.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Value, voice of experience, here. You are treading very dangerous waters with your late start. I did that for years but there is no denying management does not like it and coworkers resent it. In addition, you are late to work. I, too, was not a morning person and had a late start and a problem with prompt arrival my entire working career. Fortunately, that was a different time and it was tolerated. I could never get away with that today.

Prima donna, requesting the unusual - even if it's been done for years - will cost you your job. Mark my words.

If you want to keep your job, change your schedule, get there early and get on top of things and quit trying to outmaneuver this co-worker. It won't work in the end.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
Tunnel vision in that you seem DETERMINED to somehow "make this work", meaning the company you're with now. You REALLY really need to start doing some SERIOUS job hunting. This situation where you are is not going to get better for you, you know that, you really do.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,466 times
Quote:
You REALLY really need to start doing some SERIOUS job hunting.
People told me the same thing in my last thread. It's a recurring theme. Unfortunately it's easier said than done seeing as:

1. I got a degree in a field I'm not interested in pursuing
2. It's been a few years since getting that degree, so it's getting stale
3. There's the morning handicap whereby I'm simply unable to start at 8/9am like most regular folks. It's not that I don't want to (of course I would, as this would open a lot more doors for me), it's that I can't.
So in this case, I feel locked down to my current job. It's not great, but it's better than being unemployed (no offense) since it brings home a paycheck and fills up my resume.

Quote:
This situation where you are is not going to get better for you, you know that, you really do.
Well, maybe I can influence manager a bit to make it more tolerable. Then again, I'm really getting tired of having to work every weekend and every holiday. A friend and ex colleague told me that I'll be stuck with this schedule until the end (I resign or get laid off) because no one wants it. He's probably right.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:01 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,049,782 times
ValueAddedWorker is back I see...which only means: more workplace drama.

Here's what I don't understand: You title another thread, "Just When I Thought I was going to be Fired," which implies you knew you've could've/should've been fired. Yet now in other posts you act as if your job is safe, when your Supervisors indicate they're still not satisfied?

In this economy, there are people would love to have your job, just so they can have a paycheck and fill up their resumes, too. Maybe you're in denial (or maybe you know and like attention), but for many of the posters here, this doesn't look good for you.

Your last point doesn't make sense: "....no one wants it [your schedule]". That can't be true since you're mentioning your coworker is willing to take your workload: obviously someone does want it.

Time to step up, or look elsewhere/anywhere...or have nowhere.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
somebody said dog eat dog.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Seriously what medical handicap do you have?? I know someone with Crohns disease who still manages to get to her job at 830am. She has had several surgeries and still manages her life so she can have a job, etc.

I know someone else who was just diagnosed with MS and contends with severe migraines every single day. In order to alleviate the migraines she has had botox injected into her nerves, she has been on multiple medications although the pain is ever present. Yet she is somehow able to get to work on time and is actually a very valued employee.

For the life of me the fact that you don't have some condition that you are able to say-- hey I have BLAHBLAHtitis (and please don't give me the whole privacy thing you talk ad nauseum about your problem but from every post I have read of your's it is always vague and then when you get tired of that one you move onto your other medical problems) leads me to think you have "a lot" wrong with you that it almost sounds like a doctor has to get you off of his hands by writing some kind of documentation to have HR somewhat accommodate you.

Even after having worked as a manager and dealing with leaves of absence cases-- I have NEVER come across an employee who has some kind of ailment that precludes them from being able to work in the morning. People may have had some illnesses or what have you but most people try to live a "normal" life and not impede upon their careers. Heck even my vet who has colon cancer and who is going through chemo treatments still gets to her office at 730am unless it is her day for chemo-- and she is constantly nauseous.

The fact remains is that you are highly unreliable and unable to really work on yourself. Anytime others have offered advice you tend to give excuses as to why you can't do something. It is rarely-- yeah I think I may try that.

Your coworker may smell the scent in the air that management is hoping they can get enough documentation behind them to let you go. Employees tend to be able to smell that tension in the air. He doesn't need you to go to your management and ask them-- he may have been trying to bring you on board but quite frankly as aggressive as he sounds he is going to approach them anyhow if he has not already been approached by management.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:49 AM

387 posts, read 532,929 times
I thought management can let people go for anything?
The coworker could be trying to upstage the OP but that sounds like any situation where there is competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Your coworker may smell the scent in the air that management is hoping they can get enough documentation behind them to let you go. Employees tend to be able to smell that tension in the air. He doesn't need you to go to your management and ask them-- he may have been trying to bring you on board but quite frankly as aggressive as he sounds he is going to approach them anyhow if he has not already been approached by management.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
I thought management can let people go for anything?
The coworker could be trying to upstage the OP but that sounds like any situation where there is competition.
In most cases management can let go people for anything, but honestly at most corporations where you have a competent HR department-- people are just not let go willy nilly.

The reason: to circumvent lawsuits, complaints to EEOC, bad press, etc.

As a manager, there have been people I *WISH* it were easy to get rid of because they were toxic to the team, to the organization, etc. But it is NOT easy. You have to have significant documentation so that you can prove that you did everything you could to help them become a productive employee, etc.

At places where the company is small and usually do not have a real HR department (i.e. the office manager does some HR duties) then people are tend to be let go fast and easy because they are not risk averse.

That is why I have worked places where if they knew they were going to lay off people they would ask managers if they had any particular problem children they would also like to get rid of-- so that you could save your good and productive employees and finally get rid of some of your dead weight.

Not to say this is the case with all layoffs, but I have known many who have taken advantage of a pending layoff to get rid of some of their dead weight. It basically saves the pride of the employee, gives them a package, and everyone can move onward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment