Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Well I guess I will pack up all my bags and move down to Arizona. Wait.... Since I will not be able to afford a place to live, I guess I will not need to pack. I will just leave with the clothes that I have on my back.
I'm not sure of your point. I was merely countering a claim that janitors only make minimum wage. If you'd like I can search for a janitor position for you where you live.

Quote:
I also have time to look for meaningful employment, not a job asking somebody if they want fries with their order.
And you are also the reason people get angry at people on unemployment, again original poster's question answered.

I can see where you are coming from in that it is dollars and sense but others who are working see these high unemployment figures and read about people on unemployment for a year, then hear someone say they are turning down work to stay on unemployment, especially with an implication of being too good to serve fries. Of course it makes people angry.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 PM

164 posts, read 440,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Lawyer = silly contrived example.

Janitor = Here is a listing for much more than the min wage you claim they make: Janitor Job in Chandler 85286, Arizona US (http://jobview.monster.com/Janitor-Job-Chandler-AZ-91239860.aspx - broken link)

I bet I could find dozens more.

Okay so you spent $10 on gas. I don't know what you made but at $7/hour for 6 hour shift you'd have earned $42 gross.

How did you lose money by working?
You've got some pretty silly contrived ideas as well. Is anybody actually getting those jobs? Or are they waiting for somebody who holds a Doctorate agree and 20 years of experience in janitorial work?

Number two, who ever said I got 6 hour shifts?

Number three, you forgot food costs. Standing all day and running around the sales floor to make customers happy is tiring, and works up an appetite. I can survive on a meal every couple days or so otherwise.

Yes, I do go hungry on many days, I know you probably have a hard time grasping that concept in this great country we call America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You somehow equate cars that get high mpg on regular gas with regular and expensive repairs.

My husband has a Prius with 120K miles on it, and other than regular PM, brakes, tires, etc., he has never had a repair.

My son has a 10 year old Saturn that gets 32 mpg, same thing.

A guy I work with drives a 20 year old pick up, looks like hell but gets 24 mpg on regular fuel and he'll never have to worry about anyone stealing it. It's as reliable as they come.

Fuel consumption is very much a major part of vehicle ownership unless you live in an area where you can rely on mass transit.
How do I equate what? Could you please explain? You're making no sense to me, and I'm supposed to be the one equating whatever you just said I equate.

How much did your husbands Prius cost? How much is it gonna cost to repair the battery when it stops working? Or will you just buy a new car?

I've had friends with 10 year old Saturns that missed work and spent over $1000 to replace the transmission.

After doing some tuning to my car I was able to get up to 26MPG on the highway with my car. I don't need to worry about most people stealing my car either. And it's been as reliable as they come. Why would I trade my car in on a pickup or Saturn that I don't want, and could likely be a hotbed of problems?

Initial cost, depreciation, repairs, insurance, tires, brakes, etc. These are all things you need to consider with vehicle ownership. Gas is my smallest cost. Tires are $40 each installed, I can get brake pads for about $20 a wheel, I replaced my water pump for $40, and coil pack for $30. Oh yeah, and my car is appreciating, not depreciating. How's your husbands Prius comparing?

Oh yeah, and you forgot to address my main question. Why should I give up unemployment to MAKE LESS at a minimum wage job, regardless of my car? I still need to eat. Forget finding a place to live on minimum wage.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM

I really can't stand how many pompous morons are in this country. Americans are STARVING because they can't find a job, holding on to the last thread of hope they can find, and people still think getting a minimum wage job is the answer.

You're about to lose your home, the average American household has over $15,000 JUST in credit card debt, you've been looking for a job for a year or more, and people think you're being unreasonable to say you can't get by on a minimum wage job. WHAT THE HELL????

Oh yeah, and the minimum wage jobs are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN for ANYONE with any kind of work experience in a profitable industry.

When I applied for Extended Benefits I was told I had to accept any job that paid $8.14 an hour and gave me 40 hours a week or more. My case worker told me not to bother applying for any of them though, because they aren't out there, and even if they were I would never get one of those jobs based on my previous work experience and income.

People tell me not to put my previous salaries on my application... and I dont' unless I'm asked for it. But most people know the general range of what my previous job titles paid, and they know it's nowhere close to minimum wage.

The only reason I got a minimum wage job last year was because it was seasonal work for Christmas, and I was able to establish a pretty solid point of commonality with the manager.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:18 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
You're about to lose your home, the average American household has over $15,000 JUST in credit card debt, you've been looking for a job for a year or more, and people think you're being unreasonable to say you can't get by on a minimum wage job. WHAT THE HELL????
Oh boo freaking hoo to anyone living beyond their means to begin with who loses their job. The answer is to put away the credit cards and carry no debt except a mortgage prior to becoming unemployed--if you don't have the cash in the bank to buy it, you can't afford it! And make sure you have at least six months--preferably a year, better yet two or more years of living expenses in the bank. The "average American" is obviously a moron with their head up their ass.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,123 times
Quote:
Oh boo freaking hoo to anyone living beyond their means to begin with who loses their job. The answer is to put away the credit cards and carry no debt except a mortgage prior to becoming unemployed--if you don't have the cash in the bank to buy it, you can't afford it! And make sure you have at least six months--preferably a year, better yet two or more years of living expenses in the bank. The "average American" is obviously a moron with their head up their ass.

I've never lived beyond my means. All I have is a mortgage payment and my wife makes enough money to pay for that. Because of this I'm in no desparate situation where I have to accept any job that comes along. As a matter of fact, I intend to ride UE until the very end or until I find an ACCEPTABLE job, whichever comes first.

Now chew on that. LMFAO

BRING IT ON!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Are you really THAT far out of touch with reality? Lemme clue you in on something... people can't live on minimum wage, OR unemployment. Unemployment isn't living off the fat of the land... it's barely scraping by, if that. A lot of people have acquired the majority of their credit card debt AFTER becoming unemployed.

You're right about one thing though, the "average American" is obviously a moron with their head up their ass. You're a perfect example of that. Wake up and look around at what's really happening. Stop watching the news for your every opinion.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
I've never lived beyond my means. All I have is a mortgage payment and my wife makes enough money to pay for that. Because of this I'm in no desparate situation where I have to accept any job that comes along. As a matter of fact, I intend to ride UE until the very end or until I find an ACCEPTABLE job, whichever comes first.

Now chew on that. LMFAO

BRING IT ON!!!!!
Again, it's sad that some people can't see the big picture. Collect an extra bit in unemployment by "riding it out" over having a steady paycheck before you hit the wall? That strategy might not make much sense when you pass up potential work and then can't find anything when your benefits are exhausted.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:46 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,334 times
Quote:
ALL HAIL TO YOU MS. SELF-RIGHTEOUS AND HIGH AN MIGHTY!

THREE CHEERS:

HIP HIP, HOOORA!

HIP HIP, HOOORA!

HIP HIP, HOOORA!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,334 times
Quote:
I really can't stand how many pompous morons are in this country. Americans are STARVING because they can't find a job, holding on to the last thread of hope they can find, and people still think getting a minimum wage job is the answer.

Oh yeah, and the minimum wage jobs are FEW AND FAR BETWEEN for ANYONE with any kind of work experience in a profitable industry.

When I applied for Extended Benefits I was told I had to accept any job that paid $8.14 an hour and gave me 40 hours a week or more. My case worker told me not to bother applying for any of them though, because they aren't out there, and even if they were I would never get one of those jobs based on my previous work experience and income.

People tell me not to put my previous salaries on my application... and I dont' unless I'm asked for it. But most people know the general range of what my previous job titles paid, and they know it's nowhere close to minimum wage.

The only reason I got a minimum wage job last year was because it was seasonal work for Christmas, and I was able to establish a pretty solid point of commonality with the manager.

Good reply, many people just don't get it do they?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Are you really THAT far out of touch with reality? Lemme clue you in on something... people can't live on minimum wage, OR unemployment. Unemployment isn't living off the fat of the land... it's barely scraping by, if that. A lot of people have acquired the majority of their credit card debt AFTER becoming unemployed.

You're right about one thing though, the "average American" is obviously a moron with their head up their ass. You're a perfect example of that.
If you don't have a job, what the hell are you doing charging things? That's why you have SAVINGS! I'm not out of touch with reality, the reality is that if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it. Those who don't have savings and have lived (often for years) beyond their means are the ones out of touch with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment