Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 01:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's what insurance is for. Not only do we have all the normal coverage, but we also have extended benefits and umbrella policies. Our CFP feels we're over-insured, my opinion is that there is no such thing.

You have to in FL. It leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't have put that out there, Annerk. You're also in Flori-duh which is a right to work state.

You could be next.
Doubtful, I just got a promotion. Even if I did lose my job, the competition has made me a standing offer. I'm not exactly worried about it.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantalife View Post
I really cannot stand people in their 70s who have NO IDEA what this recession is like for those of us out of work and without 'aid' of any kind. My aunt and uncle who are both in their early 70s tell me I am just lazy and need to put on my suit and start knocking on doors like THEY DID in 1960 and I will get a job.

They raise a family on one income. Times are tough and I am trying like **** to find a job. Meanwhile they tut-tut and say to me get myself down to McDonalds or do ANYTHING to earn money.

Can anyone else relate?
I have been there before at one time. There are some people out there that simply chooses to be lazy (if that is what you want to call it) but those people don't care and don't want to look for work. Other's out there are actively looking like crazy because I see them come through my door at work all the time. I don't want to imagine what people are facing now and I am grateful to have a job. I am surprised that when I put up an IT job position on craigslist that I only received 4 applicants especially in Silicon valley. Who knows...

If you have unemployment which isn't sh-- half the time, it's something. My household has turned into 1 income and I have my own online business to help supplement their income lost, but they do get unemployment for the 1st time. We were lucky to have low rent in a nice area and we save his check and just live off mine.

People get so comfortable because they have a job and don't think they will be in that position and then bam when it happens you have to learn how to re-adjust your living expenses while some people don't and then end up losing everything. I think we all should be saving no matter what because we can't put your faith in this economy like we use to. Be prepared no matter what position your in.

Good luck to all those out there still actively looking.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
For $15/hour/8 hours a day, I'll dress up like a cowboy and ride around on a stick horse while the world laughs at me.

$5/hour does not even cover the water and soap I use when I shower, the gas and the wear and tear on my car, the pathetic sack lunch of pb&j or cheese sandwiches, and let alone the way I'll be treated making a slave wage.

Something does not necessarily mean it is better than nothing. There are many things to factor when one goes out to make a living and today's minimum wage does not even make a living wage any more.

After the hurricanes hit my area, and the place I worked at was DESTROYED, I took a job where I was making only $5 an hour, temp labor job, just so I'd have some kind of income rolling in. Of course, I wasn't paying for a vehicle at the time either. I had to walk to and from work.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
It really depends on the type of work you do. You aren't going to get a job as a dentist or director of HR that way, but blue collar work, retail, restaurant, and even some jobs like administrative assistant or bookkeeper you can get away with it.
It is, however, a job. Keep the income rolling in, like it or not.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 PM

164 posts, read 440,875 times
Quote:
Doubtful, I just got a promotion. Even if I did lose my job, the competition has made me a standing offer. I'm not exactly worried about it.
Pride goes before the fall....

Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Quote:
Big difference, I'm not unemployed.

Bigger difference, I don't sit on a high horse and I'm not a c#&t.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
Pride goes before the fall....
What's prideful about it? I have a secure job with a solid company. I have a standing offer from another company. I have savings, insurance. We can live on either of our single incomes without touching savings.

Yes, I am pleased with the financial situation we are in, because we started with nothing and amassed our nest egg by living below our means and saving steadily for the past 20+ years. If you think there's something wrong with doing so, you might want to reexamine your priorities.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
Bigger difference, I don't sit on a high horse and I'm not a c#&t.
Oh, klassy using that type of language. Sticks and stones.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
After the hurricanes hit my area, and the place I worked at was DESTROYED, I took a job where I was making only $5 an hour, temp labor job, just so I'd have some kind of income rolling in. Of course, I wasn't paying for a vehicle at the time either. I had to walk to and from work.

Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment