Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
but at least have the humility to take something that you may feel is beneath you on a temporary basis.
P.S. I did do that... for 8 months of the last year I worked in a job that was "beneath me," and paid considerably less than my former job. It also happened to be a seasonal position, so I knew from the beginning it probably wouldn't go beyond June. Trust me, pride is not the issue, as I've done everything from cleaning dog poop to delivering pizzas in the last decade.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:55 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As long as I remain productive, my job is good for life. Without me, and people like me, they make no money. Companies want to make money.
Keep dreaming, honey. Your job is good only until your employer figures it can make more money without you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
According to the employment development department themselves, this is precisely why UI exists... I read through the paperwork word for word, and it says (more or less) that you're only expected to apply for "acceptable work commensurate with prior experience and education." Someone with a higher educational or professional level isn't expected to apply at McDonald's, and quite frankly it would be disadvantageous to everyone if we did.
It's been my experience that people with advanced experience and/or degrees will not be hired for lower-wage or lower-skilled jobs. During my only long-term streak of unemployment -- seven months in the early 80s -- I applied for jobs as a bank teller (my job during college), a receptionist, a library clerk, and a cashier. Most employers took one look at my work experience, saw that I had a college degree and had been employed as a newspaper reporter, and told me they did not want to hire someone who was not interested in staying at the job long-term. They did not want to lose an employee the instant he or she found a job in his or her field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I only mention my salary when challenged to prove a point. It is not "bragging" as it's truthful. If you don't like it, there's always an ignore feature.
Thanks for the reminder!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Don't believe everything you read on the internet, but you know that already.

First off Annerk is in Orlando, FL( known for low salaries). Check out the Orlando thread and hear the complaints by young college educated professionals on the lack of good paying jobs. The average salary is under 40K in that area, FL is not known for good paying jobs and Orlando is a service industry town.
If salaries are so low, how do we have more than a few areas with homes that start at $500K and go well into the millions? It's not like everyone who lives in them won the lottery. Yes, there are a lot of low paying jobs, but there are also a lot of high paying jobs as well--I'm fortunate to have one of them.

Quote:
Second, from her posts she works in HR for a company that hires skilled blue collar workers. Well if she is so high up why is she scanning the resumes and seeing that guy who came in dressed in a dirty t-shirt and shorts asking for a job?

That doesn't make any sense. Why is she dealing with people walking in the door and reviewing resumes, that is for a low level HR worker to do.

Something doesn't add up. I learned a long time ago after years of living in Southern Cal, those who have it don't brag about it.
As I've said many times (which you would know if you actually read my posts like you claim) I do NOT work in HR. I handle some recruiting functions and am the hiring manager for the WHITE COLLAR side of the company--sales, marketing, administration, etc. I report directly to the president and am the director of the department I work in with several reports directly under me. Why do I deal with people walking through the door? Because I happened to be standing by the door when he walked in. Didn't think of that one, did you?

Old 10-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
I know exactly what desperation entails. I live in an area where crime has been going up lately, a suburban area where not much happens to begin with. Twice this week I've hear sirens and helicopters going after would-be robbers trying to knock off a 24 hour minimart in the middle of the night. The next day, I read a report as to why these people did it, they blame it on hard economic times, no jobs, and unemployment has ran dry. Talk about desperation. There are a couple of threads already about turning to a life of crime because of the hard economic conditions, I suggest you read through those.
Too bad, around here crime has been decreasing.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
A simple answer, the said person has no life.

A simplified answer to a more complex issue, the said person has some emotional issues and makes themselves feel better by going on a forum like this and bashing people who are not in the most ideal situation. There's a phrase for that, "easy pickin's".
Honey, I have a life, a good job, an active social life. You are the one who is trolling the internet when you should be looking for work.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Ya good guess, she is the HR assistant who makes $8 an hour answering phones and getting coffee for the HR manager. Like I said in an earlier post, she is a nobody just like all the rest of us and she will get what she has been dishing out 10 fold.
As I've said many times, I'm not in HR. And making $8 an hour answering phones would certainly be better than being an unemployer trucker who is praying for yet another u/e extension like you are.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well in other posts she has guys in ripped t-shirts and shorts walking in her office asking her for jobs, which means she sits by the front door.
My desk is the one closest to the door--which means nothing--the president of the company sits across from me.

Quote:
On another she is going through tons of resumes.

These aren't the tasks of someone making six figures.
They are when you are a hiring manager, duh.

Quote:
And again she is Orlando, FL. The land of low wages.
Then explain how people live in million dollar homes... There are plenty of high paying jobs here, most of the lowest wage jobs are taken by immigrants who can't even speak English.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't normally like to pick on people, and think some of these criticisms are way too harsh. But I do have to bring up one point, Annerk... whenever speaking of your finances, you use the term "we" or "our." So unless you're using the royal "we," I'm assuming that means you're married/partnered, and thus have another income to depend on? My brother-in-law was unemployed for a year after grad school, and didn't even have to worry about UI (which he wouldn't have qualified for as a recent graduate) since my sister could cover things in the meantime. Unfortunately many of us don't have that luxury, and it's MUCH scarier to lose your job as a single person.

I have no husband or partner to pay the bills, add to savings accounts, and generally offer financial & emotional support. My parents are as supportive as they can be, but I'm too old to live with them & they can't pay my rent. So imagine if, god forbid, BOTH of you were unemployed tomorrow - would you still be so confident in your ability to survive financially? It does and has happened to many families, and I'm sure it was a devastating wake-up call. Why do you think there are so many foreclosures these days? I don't wish that on you at all, but you really should consider this before judging other people's situations.
I am married, never said I wasn't. When I was unemployed in the early 90's for an extended period, I was single, so I do understand how scary it can be.

And to answer your question, if BOTH of us were unemployed we could still survive (very frugally) for the rest of our lives on our savings. We have always been savers and I'm frugal--I don't have things that many in my income level do--expensive cars, housekeepers, etc. I clip coupons and cook most nights and brown bag to work for lunch instead of eating out--my husband does the same thing. Those little things really do add up when it comes to stockpiling savings. We've pretty much always lived off one income and saved the other, foregoing a lot of things our peers have spent their money on, which is the biggest way we've been able to save.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's what insurance is for. Not only do we have all the normal coverage, but we also have extended benefits and umbrella policies. Our CFP feels we're over-insured, my opinion is that there is no such thing.
Glad your insurance actually covers everything. Mine sure doesn't.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Glad your insurance actually covers everything. Mine sure doesn't.

That's why we've purchased a variety of coverages for disability income, long-term care, umbrella, etc. Of course we still have some deductibles, $1000 for the home owners and auto, and certain co-pays and a one time each year deductible on the health--maybe $250 or something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment