Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2010, 09:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Big name Retailers can and do go bankrupt (Circuit City is one example). I admire your hard work ethic but realize that your stellar job performance isn't enough to keep a company in business ....NO JOB is recession-proof.
Exactly. Kind of shocked to see TKramar saying they work in retail and think they're safe. Actually he/she is in one of the most "at risk" for layoffs fields as one could possibly be.

I wouldn't be on here bragging, karma is a b***h.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 PM

258 posts, read 540,714 times
Quote:
What specific areas in the US are you finding this type of success selling door to door at this day and age?
I like to travel so here is a list of states I have worked with success. California, Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. Kind of shocked to see TKramar saying they work in retail and think they're safe. Actually he/she is in one of the most "at risk" for layoffs fields as one could possibly be.

I wouldn't be on here bragging, karma is a b***h.
America suffers from a consumerist mentality. As long as people WANT things, they will buy them. Personally, I'm not a materialist, but most people are.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
America suffers from a consumerist mentality. As long as people WANT things, they will buy them. Personally, I'm not a materialist, but most people are.
Still, people are prioritizing and minimizing. They're not buying as much or for as much which does hurt companies.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:24 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Oh yeah another point-- No I don't expect you to do that, but I expect you to realize that you should not be a sponge on society if you can do ANYTHING to prevent it.
Hey, I am no sponge on society. I've already said that I haven't and don't collect anything. I am just tired of reading the posts from the unemployed basher crowd and those who would, gulp, actually have the audacity to collect UI.

I have read enough of your posts to know you DO think the unemployed are lazy. You DON'T want people collecting UI. You DON'T care if they end up homeless (or you would not keep pushing your anti-UI agenda).

I can tell you a story of a 60 year old guy who most likely collected his UI for two years and it ended. This guy walked miles in the heat to McDonalds and Wendys only to be told he was too old. He lived in a van and was hassled by the cops due to expired tags. His wife and son were both disabled and living at a Red Cross shelter. He wrote repeatedly on a forum that if things didn't change soon he was gonna be over. Well, end of August he took a gun and shot himself in the head. He ended up in the hospital and they took him off life support a few days later. RIP, Al.

It's stories like these that make me despise people who would deny someone UI.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
As long as Americans can afford to buy stuff ... With more and more folks being unemployed, consumerism will continue to take a hit. Although my situation improved a bit and no longer need to collect UI, I don't shop nearly as much as I used to (and I LOVE shopping). I am only ONE out of millions who have been negatively affected by our economy. What this economy has taught many is to be more frugal and that means buying less stuff and budgeting more ... There could be a time when consumer demand will not be enough to keep your business afloat and there is NOTHING that a hard-working employee can do to change that.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Hey, I am no sponge on society. I've already said that I haven't and don't collect anything. I am just tired of reading the posts from the unemployed basher crowd and those who would, gulp, actually have the audacity to collect UI.

I have read enough of your posts to know you DO think the unemployed are lazy. You DON'T want people collecting UI. You DON'T care if they end up homeless (or you would not keep pushing your anti-UI agenda).

I can tell you a story of a 60 year old guy who most likely collected his UI for two years and it ended. This guy walked miles in the heat to McDonalds and Wendys only to be told he was too old. He lived in a van and was hassled by the cops due to expired tags. His wife and son were both disabled and living at a Red Cross shelter. He wrote repeatedly on a forum that if things didn't change soon he was gonna be over. Well, end of August he took a gun and shot himself in the head. He ended up in the hospital and they took him off life support a few days later. RIP, Al.

Sorry to hear about this guy Al. It would be nice if we had a more compassionate society versus one that pointed fingers at the victims of our economic woes ... Our corrupt politicians and corrupt business practices should shoulder the blame, not the people who cannot find work no matter how hard they pound the pavement.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:

Really? You need to start watching the Business channel on cable. Even the very wealthy are cutting back.

Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills now has lots of vacant stores. People of all classes are concerned about the future.

Many of the very wealthy and even the not so wealthy are buying gold fearing the US dollar will collapse. In fact it is hard to purchase gold right now and the price keeps going up.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post

How terribly sad. I anticipate we'll be hearing this a lot more in the future.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
As long as Americans can afford to buy stuff ... With more and more folks being unemployed, consumerism will continue to take a hit. Although my situation improved a bit and no longer need to collect UI, I don't shop nearly as much as I used to (and I LOVE shopping). I am only ONE out of millions who have been negatively affected by our economy. What this economy has taught many is to be more frugal and that means buying less stuff and budgeting more ... There could be a time when consumer demand will not be enough to keep your business afloat and there is NOTHING that a hard-working employee can do to change that.
Oh yeah ... I just heard about Denny's closing one of their locations because they were not doing well financially at that location in Orange County, CA. Denny's is one of those restaurants that are considered a staple in the US but even they must be facing difficult times. No one is immune especially if you are working in retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment