Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM

323 posts, read 528,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
People in that age group (70's) were one of the last who could work at one place for 40 years and retire with decent benefits.

They have little idea how much things have changed.

Kind of like hearing I walked five miles to school and back everyday.
So True - My mom and I frequently debate about that - they don't understand that even if you are employed - jobs are more stressful vs - they went to work and came home and rarely gave the job a thought - in addition - they do not understand that although they made less money - things truly were cheaper compared to what the aveage person make now when paying for basic necessities like utilities, food especially healthy food - heck, it's even expensive to grow your own garden/veggies now.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:51 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,592,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Indeed, Florida is a pit of unemployment. My sister is moving back to Long Island in a few weeks after moving down there 18 months ago. With all of the certifications she got in her field while she was down there, and all of her practical experience (dental assisting), the best she could get was part-time retail, and even that turned out to be seasonal. She said the employment situation there overall is absolutely dismal.

You know a state is bad off if Long Island seems to be a wealth of opportunity in comparison.
Well Flori-duh's whole economy is service industry related. Disney is the largest employer in the state. Their salaries average around $9 an hour.

They also just elected Rick Scott as the new governor, whose company was convicted of the largest Medicare fraud in US history.

He paid 72 million dollars of his own money to get elected to a job that pays less than 200K, good luck Flori-duh!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:18 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,629,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
Also, has anyone noticed that the guy who claims he could find 5 jobs around his area hasn't replied to any of the posts with information regarding those alleged jobs? Hmmm...yeah, that's what I thought.
Exactly

Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,250,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

My husband has been looking for a job here since the end of June...nothing! He sees the same people at various interviews...people are looking for ANYTHING. I do hope he gets something out of state soon. LI was supposed to be a stop over for us, not a 'permanent' sticking place. Now it's a nice place to live if you have a good job but for everyone else, it's just damn expensive and THERE ARE NO REAL JOBS...manufacturing is dead here...so goes Long Island....
Yep. LI is insular. Unless you're willing to schlep into the city, it's a tough sell, and even then, for nearly $500 a month in commuting costs, there had better be a decent salary involved. It would be crazy to commute from Ronkonkoma to Manhattan for $35K a year. I wouldn't do it for less than $70K, myself. (Which may sound like a lot of money to people from other parts of the country, but doesn't go far here.)

On the upside, there are a few industries and organizations that are expanding. It just depends on what he does. Even so, the expansion is slow, mostly three- and five-year plans, which does people a fat lot of good now.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 PM

Umm.. I think he is saying a job that pays more than UEB - or at least has the potential to make more

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again, it's sad that some people can't see the big picture. Collect an extra bit in unemployment by "riding it out" over having a steady paycheck before you hit the wall? That strategy might not make much sense when you pass up potential work and then can't find anything when your benefits are exhausted.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe my ability to see past the end of my nose is why I'm employed.
UNBELIEVABLE ..... SMH

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM

WOW - since just as many employed folks post here - seems like you are saying - cause someone is unemployed they should spend less time here = wow - what about the folks who are at work and spending time on the internet - is that stealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Someone who's unemployed would probably be out looking for a job, and wouldn't have time to whack away at a computer keyboard all day. So that's a no-go too.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,929,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
WOW - since just as many employed folks post here - seems like you are saying - cause someone is unemployed they should spend less time here = wow - what about the folks who are at work and spending time on the internet - is that stealing?
spending less time here if you are unemployed sounds like a good job search strategy to me

Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Guess this person does not know that a lot of grads start out with a hugh monthly student loan bill on top of all the regular stuff

Quote:
You worked for three years and only saved $4K? You could have lived in a lower cost area in a smaller apartment. I know the rents are steep there, but you can find affordable housing if you look towards Oakland or the Mission.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,929,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post
Guess this person does not know that a lot of grads start out with a hugh monthly student loan bill on top of all the regular stuff
annerk is a lonely medicated aging women who thinks everyone makes six figures a yeat like she does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment