Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Please tell me how old you are. I'm 44, and I'm a GenX'er.

"The industrial world was in ruins after WWII."???? Yes, Germany and Japan and to some extent the rest of Europe were in ruins. However, can you remind me which parts of the United States were bombed during WWII? Maybe you come from one of those alternate realities that Turtledove likes to read about. It's hard to take you seriously if you don't even know basic history.

Boomers had to compete with... wait a minute, just wait.... EACH OTHER. Please review basic economic supply & demand theories, along with management philosophies of the 1960's and 1970's. You might also want to review economic conditions in those periods, especially inflation to see how they affected retirement savings and income. I hate Boomers with a passion but their work ethic and engineering expertise took us to the moon and helped create one of the greatest expansions in wealth and industrial output ever seen in this country. Boomers developed mainframe computers that processed data and led the way for the information age which followed. Boomers volunteered to serve in the Peace Corp in sometimes very lonely, isolated places in the hope that they could share their technical expertise and change the lives of some very desperate people.

GenX'ers were the classic latch key kids, look after yourself, play video games (yes we did have video games before Millenials and their Xbox 360 showed up). We dealt with tough job markets in the 90's and bad economic conditions with the exception of 1995-2000 which were fantastic. Yes, we sometimes complained. Yes, we sometimes lived with our parents. But guess what!! Now the millenials live with their parents and it's normal to live in mom & dad's basement. Eventually we found jobs. We built internet companies and startups and began the Internet Age long before anyone had heard of Twitter and Facebook.

Millenials... what can I say. Apparently they like to complain about how mom & dad won't step aside and give them their job. They all seem to want to be CEO by 25, and don't understand when they aren't made a VP on the first day. Yes, initiative is nice if it's about helping the company, but not if it's just about helping YOU get ahead. God forbid you ask a millenial to work 41 hours a week (instead of 40). Working an extra hour might kill them. Trust me, what I see out there is that companies would rather hire people under 30. There's a reason GenX (40's) and the Boomers (60's) are complaining so much. It's because the Millenials (20's) are getting a lot (not all) of the good jobs.

Whew! I'm glad I got that off my chest.
Spare me Gen Xer. The Boomers had it easy. There was no global job competition as the Boomers hadn't outsourced jobs away yet. They had nothing but infinite prosperity as you are correct in stating that the US had been spared the ravages of war. This current recession is the first adversity many of them are facing in the workforce. Gen X at least got to ride the up and down of the Dot.com boom and gain some valuable experience that has many of them sitting nice and comfy where they are at today.

I'm not asking to be CEO by 25. I'm currently 28 and I have worked 365 days straight before so don't tell me I don't have any work ethic. I don't think it's wrong for Millenials to be a bit jaded over the fact that Boomers and Gen Xers think we should be happier than a pig in **** to work for $8 to $10 an hour. Sure you might have worked for that when you started out but in 1996 that wasn't too bad and it was definitely great in the 1960's and 70's when the first Boomers hit the job market.

I'm fully confident that Gen Y will not only excel and put everyone in their place, but will be more like our grandparents, the greatest generation, having not shirked our responsibility to country and struggling through these hard times so early in our life.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:

"The industrial world was in ruins after WWII."???? Yes, Germany and Japan and to some extent the rest of Europe were in ruins. However, can you remind me which parts of the United States were bombed during WWII? Maybe you come from one of those alternate realities that Turtledove likes to read about. It's hard to take you seriously if you don't even know basic history.

Boomers had to compete with... wait a minute, just wait.... EACH OTHER. Please review basic economic supply & demand theories, along with management philosophies of the 1960's and 1970's. You might also want to review economic conditions in those periods, especially inflation to see how they affected retirement savings and income. I hate Boomers with a passion but their work ethic and engineering expertise took us to the moon and helped create one of the greatest expansions in wealth and industrial output ever seen in this country. Boomers developed mainframe computers that processed data and led the way for the information age which followed. Boomers volunteered to serve in the Peace Corp in sometimes very lonely, isolated places in the hope that they could share their technical expertise and change the lives of some very desperate people.

GenX'ers were the classic latch key kids, look after yourself, play video games (yes we did have video games before Millenials and their Xbox 360 showed up). We dealt with tough job markets in the 90's and bad economic conditions with the exception of 1995-2000 which were fantastic. Yes, we sometimes complained. Yes, we sometimes lived with our parents. But guess what!! Now the millenials live with their parents and it's normal to live in mom & dad's basement. Eventually we found jobs. We built internet companies and startups and began the Internet Age long before anyone had heard of Twitter and Facebook.

Millenials... what can I say. Apparently they like to complain about how mom & dad won't step aside and give them their job. They all seem to want to be CEO by 25, and don't understand when they aren't made a VP on the first day. Yes, initiative is nice if it's about helping the company, but not if it's just about helping YOU get ahead. God forbid you ask a millenial to work 41 hours a week (instead of 40). Working an extra hour might kill them. Trust me, what I see out there is that companies would rather hire people under 30. There's a reason GenX (40's) and the Boomers (60's) are complaining so much. It's because the Millenials (20's) are getting a lot (not all) of the good jobs.

Oh and Peace Corps, I almost spit up my coffee on my T-Shirt that Reads "I Club Hippies." Thanks for the lunchtime laugh.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:

You might have met a few Millennials that are like that, but this type of stereotyping is why Millennials have one of the WORST times getting hired. No, I'm not lying, you are more likely to get hired if you are a Gen X individual than a Millennial.

"Unemployment among young people has skyrocketed in this recession, both nationally and in the Capital Region," said Commissioner Gardner. "Nationally, some estimates place the youth unemployment rate at over 21 percent. Locally, analysis of recent Census data shows that nearly 20 percent of young people in the Capital Region may be unemployed."

New York State Department of Labor - Labor Department Combating Skyrocketing Unemployment Among Capital Region Youth

And here is more proof about age discrimination against people under 30

Millennials need to get real about work world | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/DN-Hall_20bus.ART.State.Edition1.399c025.html - broken link)

Many of us do work hard and many of us have been working since we were younger. Many of us were latchkey kids. Some of us are spoiled, but many of us really want to go out there and work hard. I'm thankful for a part-time job, but there are many more who are having trouble getting hired. Part of the reason is because people fall for the stereotype which you describe without realizing that many Baby Boomers and Gen X individuals acted exactly like they described Gen Y/Millennials when they were our age.

I'm glad you got it off your chest, but there are tons of hard working young people out there who are even more ambitious and more willing to work hard. Especially in comparison to some of the older generations in which some of them have been known to lounge around their office and spend 1/2 the day researching sports scores on the computer while they send people like me to run errands such as print documents from my computer to their printer (when their computer is next to their printer) .

Old 11-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:

And Baby Boomers put people on the moon? The first manned lunar mission was in 1969. If the first boomers were born in 1945 that makes them a whopping 24 years old. I know they might love themselves that much and think themselves capable of such a feat at that age, but I'm pretty sure grandpa's generation played more of a starring role in putting people on the moon.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
So what are the names of those that have help wanted signs?
Someone came back and asked if they were going to hire someone living out of state--and I doubt they would, so I nixed the plan.

After all, what would be the point of giving you a list of seven jobs you couldn't get?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:38 PM

164 posts, read 440,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
You might have met a few Millennials that are like that, but this type of stereotyping is why Millennials have one of the WORST times getting hired. No, I'm not lying, you are more likely to get hired if you are a Gen X individual than a Millennial.

"Unemployment among young people has skyrocketed in this recession, both nationally and in the Capital Region," said Commissioner Gardner. "Nationally, some estimates place the youth unemployment rate at over 21 percent. Locally, analysis of recent Census data shows that nearly 20 percent of young people in the Capital Region may be unemployed."

New York State Department of Labor - Labor Department Combating Skyrocketing Unemployment Among Capital Region Youth

And here is more proof about age discrimination against people under 30

Millennials need to get real about work world | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Cheryl Hall | Business Columnist | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/columnists/chall/stories/DN-Hall_20bus.ART.State.Edition1.399c025.html - broken link)

Many of us do work hard and many of us have been working since we were younger. Many of us were latchkey kids. Some of us are spoiled, but many of us really want to go out there and work hard. I'm thankful for a part-time job, but there are many more who are having trouble getting hired. Part of the reason is because people fall for the stereotype which you describe without realizing that many Baby Boomers and Gen X individuals acted exactly like they described Gen Y/Millennials when they were our age.

I'm glad you got it off your chest, but there are tons of hard working young people out there who are even more ambitious and more willing to work hard. Especially in comparison to some of the older generations in which some of them have been known to lounge around their office and spend 1/2 the day researching sports scores on the computer while they send people like me to run errands such as print documents from my computer to their printer (when their computer is next to their printer) .
Thanks for quoting facts... I was just gonna get really pissed off and throw insults in a very personal manner.

I'm in my mid, almost late 20's, and I've been unemployed two years. FINALLY found a job working as a new car salesman for $7.25 an hour, 60-80 hours a week, and I just lost that job 45 minutes ago because I have one too many god damn speeding tickets... a few of which were UTTER BS and I wasn't even speeding. But the ****ing worthless cops needed to pad their doughnut fund and the judges are just as corrupt as our politicians. I don't care if you're a cop and that hurt your feelings... find an honest job pigs.

I'm going to get my record and try fighting them, I know of at least one speeding ticket on my record which I was never issued, but didn't have the $1000 for a lawyer to fight it at the time. Still don't, but I need this ****ing $7.25/hr job god damn it!

Can't say I'm lazy, I've been working my ass off this whole week for pennies. Got there early every day, stayed late by a couple hours most days. Cleaned up the lot of my own initiative, filled up empty cars... went far above and beyond my job duties, and for what? How am I thanked for having a good work ethic and positive attitude? I lose my job the same week I start it.

It's not the dealerships fault, the insurance company has their hands tied. It's the damn cops who are raping anyone they can for 5MPH over. Government workers... for all I care right now they can all drop dead.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
If you go back and re-read my post, you will see one of my last points, which is that companies prefer to hire people under 30 (Millenials). All groups are running around saying there is discrimination, but look at companies like Google. I think the average age of employees is about 25-27. It certainly isn't 45-55!

You are asking me not to stereotype you or your generation. Please don't stereotype the previous ones. How do you think anything was accomplished if everyone sat around and drank coffee and look at sports scores. Would you like me to tell you the amount of time your generation spends playing foosball or online games or posting updates on Facebook? I have never heard of someone being asked to do meaningless grunt work. I guarantee you. Your generation is the only one who ever had to do grunt work. The rest of us sat around and drank champagne while we got our foot massages.

I did say "apparently millenials....". Apparently = "so I've heard". I didn't say "they are" or "millenials are definitely lazy...". I am happy to hear counter arguments from people who know better. Of course there are hard working millenials... but what constitutes hard working? Is that working 40 hrs a week, 60 hrs a week? How do you measure it?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
If you go back and re-read my post, you will see one of my last points, which is that companies prefer to hire people under 30 (Millenials). All groups are running around saying there is discrimination, but look at companies like Google. I think the average age of employees is about 25-27. It certainly isn't 45-55!

You are asking me not to stereotype you or your generation. Please don't stereotype the previous ones. How do you think anything was accomplished if everyone sat around and drank coffee and look at sports scores. Would you like me to tell you the amount of time your generation spends playing foosball or online games or posting updates on Facebook? I have never heard of someone being asked to do meaningless grunt work. I guarantee you. Your generation is the only one who ever had to do grunt work. The rest of us sat around and drank champagne while we got our foot massages.

I did say "apparently millenials....". Apparently = "so I've heard". I didn't say "they are" or "millenials are definitely lazy...". I am happy to hear counter arguments from people who know better. Of course there are hard working millenials... but what constitutes hard working? Is that working 40 hrs a week, 60 hrs a week? How do you measure it?
When the Boomers are all staring up at dirt and Gen X is taking their final ****s in a bag I'm sure we'll be talking about how worthless the younger generations are. It's an endless cycle. I doubt the Greatest Generation thought the Baby Boomers **** Tiffany cufflinks when they entered the workforce.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:

I'm 26, my husband is 27. This year already we've made over $80,000 between the two of us (and I just started working in August and only work part time). Neither one of us have a college degree, we don't live at home with our parents (in fact we live over 900 miles away from our nearest relatives), we have 1 child together and will be going to Disneyland this summer.

My husband consistently works over 100 hours a week, he's a wireline operator in the oilfields of North Dakota. Right now I'm working full time because my co-worker is on FMLA leave and only 2 of us run our office. I work 45 hours minimum a week.

I work for a staffing company, I hire numerous millennials who consistently work over 60 hours a week. In fact, I think it's safe to say that the majority of those working in these oilfields are "Millennials" because unfortunately doing back breaking work isn't much of an option for most of the GenX'ers and Boomers and that's what kind of work there is here, where our local unemployment is 1.7%.

But hey... according to you everything I just said is impossible. LMAO

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:

Sixty hours a week? That's considered a slow week here... my husband would get bored if he was working 60 hours a week. Instead, he left at 5:45AM and now it's 8:48PM and he's still not home yet. Meanwhile... it appears your home. How many hours a week do you work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment