Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:37 PM

164 posts, read 440,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
No, I've never been a janitor.

That doesn't mean I'm going to discount aggregated salary statistics and a quick glance at job offers on the internet in favor of a poster's anecdotal experience.
Have you seen the new lawyers positions out there offering $8-$9 an hour? Sure, maybe janitors USED to make $24,000... but not anymore.

Quote:
I'd be curious about the numbers. I'm not doubting what you're saying just curious how it is possible. Was it a really long drive? Couldn't you pack bring your lunch in a little cooler?
I drove about 50 miles round trip, at 18MPG with premium fuel that adds up pretty quick.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:47 PM

70 posts, read 78,371 times
I wish these people stuck in their little bubble constantly calling others lazy for being unemployed would lose their jobs and see how it's like to look for work to no available, see how it's like to get no responses from HR idiots (who a lot of times you have more skills and a better education than) whenever you contact them, see how it's like to go to a million temp agencies only for them to just collect your resume and waste your time, etc. Many people are extremely out of touch to what the unemployed are going through, but that's no surprise to me because most people full of **** anyways.

Last edited by ncav4; 10-12-2010 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKarrde View Post
I drove about 50 miles round trip, at 18MPG with premium fuel that adds up pretty quick.
Nothing for nothing, but I think I'd look at trading the sports car in for something economical that takes regular gas so I could stop using that as an excuse to not work. I guess some of us have different priorities.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantalife View Post
I really cannot stand people in their 70s who have NO IDEA what this recession is like for those of us out of work and without 'aid' of any kind. My aunt and uncle who are both in their early 70s tell me I am just lazy and need to put on my suit and start knocking on doors like THEY DID in 1960 and I will get a job.

They raise a family on one income. Times are tough and I am trying like **** to find a job. Meanwhile they tut-tut and say to me get myself down to McDonalds or do ANYTHING to earn money.

Can anyone else relate?
Every generation looks at the ones that come after it and think they have it good, that they don't have to work as hard, that they've had things handed to them, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of people who look at the unemployed and think they're just lazy. And it isn't just people in the 70s. Everyone likes to think they work harder than anyone else. But I think a lot of these people saying stuff like this are just out of touch. They can tell you to go to McDonald's, but they obviously haven't seen the news stories showing the record number of applicants to even low-paying jobs. The best is when you hear people say that if you can't find a job, then just be your own boss and start your own business, as if that's easy to do. Most people need funds to start a business, even a small one. You could borrow money, but look getting a loan from a bank these days. Meanwhile, they'll say that businesses would create more jobs if government simply got out of the way. Really? So all those companies who are sitting on mountains of cash and spending it buying back their own stock would spend it on hiring new employees if you just cut their taxes?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:46 PM

164 posts, read 440,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nothing for nothing, but I think I'd look at trading the sports car in for something economical that takes regular gas so I could stop using that as an excuse to not work. I guess some of us have different priorities.
I drive a 21 year old BMW that has been utterly reliable and very cheap to repair when it does need something. Why would I trade that for some other old car that I can't rely on and may need to spend large amounts of money on for repairs? What if I drove an old truck? Would you make the same asinine comments? I sold a brand new Mazda MX-5 at great personal loss because I couldn't keep up with the payments. Gas consumption is a very small part of vehicle ownership.

Go make your accusations elsewhere fool. Trying to say that I am using my car as an excuse for giving up unemployment to work for MINIMUM WAGE is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why don't you give me your job and go find something on minimum wage yourself if you're so self righteous?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 PM

219 posts, read 562,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Every generation looks at the ones that come after it and think they have it good, that they don't have to work as hard, that they've had things handed to them, etc. I'm sure there are a lot of people who look at the unemployed and think they're just lazy. And it isn't just people in the 70s. Everyone likes to think they work harder than anyone else. But I think a lot of these people saying stuff like this are just out of touch. They can tell you to go to McDonald's, but they obviously haven't seen the news stories showing the record number of applicants to even low-paying jobs. The best is when you hear people say that if you can't find a job, then just be your own boss and start your own business, as if that's easy to do. Most people need funds to start a business, even a small one. You could borrow money, but look getting a loan from a bank these days. Meanwhile, they'll say that businesses would create more jobs if government simply got out of the way. Really? So all those companies who are sitting on mountains of cash and spending it buying back their own stock would spend it on hiring new employees if you just cut their taxes?
Yes, I find a lot of older people who have not come face to face with this recession out of touch with the way things are right now. Of course, there are a lot of older people who have witnessed first hand the wrath of this great recession. They tend to be much more understanding.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Have you seen the new lawyers positions out there offering $8-$9 an hour? Sure, maybe janitors USED to make $24,000... but not anymore.
Lawyer = silly contrived example.

Janitor = Here is a listing for much more than the min wage you claim they make: Janitor Job in Chandler 85286, Arizona US (http://jobview.monster.com/Janitor-Job-Chandler-AZ-91239860.aspx - broken link)

I bet I could find dozens more.

Quote:
Okay so you spent $10 on gas. I don't know what you made but at $7/hour for 6 hour shift you'd have earned $42 gross.

How did you lose money by working?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncav4 View Post
I wish these people stuck in their little bubble constantly calling others lazy for being unemployed would lose their jobs and see how it's like to look for work to no available, see how it's like to get no responses from HR idiots (who a lot of times you have more skills and a better education than) whenever you contact them, see how it's like to go to a million temp agencies only for them to just collect your resume and waste your time, etc. Many people are extremely out of touch to what the unemployed are going through, but that's no surprise to me because most people full of **** anyways.
I think alot of employed people ( ie; unemployment bashers ) live in 1972 , where you lose your job and your brother , uncle , cousin gets you a job in 22 hours ,after your pink slip.

Back in the day when polyester pants were cool and you could go to a fast food joint to tide you over until you found a decent job .

Last edited by WannaliveinGreenville; 10-12-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I drive a 21 year old BMW that has been utterly reliable and very cheap to repair when it does need something. Why would I trade that for some other old car that I can't rely on and may need to spend large amounts of money on for repairs? What if I drove an old truck? Would you make the same asinine comments? I sold a brand new Mazda MX-5 at great personal loss because I couldn't keep up with the payments. Gas consumption is a very small part of vehicle ownership.
You somehow equate cars that get high mpg on regular gas with regular and expensive repairs.

My husband has a Prius with 120K miles on it, and other than regular PM, brakes, tires, etc., he has never had a repair.

My son has a 10 year old Saturn that gets 32 mpg, same thing.

A guy I work with drives a 20 year old pick up, looks like hell but gets 24 mpg on regular fuel and he'll never have to worry about anyone stealing it. It's as reliable as they come.

Fuel consumption is very much a major part of vehicle ownership unless you live in an area where you can rely on mass transit.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Okay so you spent $10 on gas. I don't know what you made but at $7/hour for 6 hour shift you'd have earned $42 gross.

How did you lose money by working?
Exactly. Juut another excuse. Hopefully someone who WANTED to work was able to step into the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment