Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Right there with you. I'm searching like crazy, going out 5-8 hours a day, but most places just aren't hiring.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
minimum wage jobs are available, if they're not beneath you...
I've been applying for minimum wage jobs and I'm still having a hard time finding people who are hiring.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I've been applying for minimum wage jobs and I'm still having a hard time finding people who are hiring.
I've been through CLT several times in the past month and have seen help wanted signs in a few of the restaurant/shop windows. Maybe something to look at? Good luck.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been through CLT several times in the past month and have seen help wanted signs in a few of the restaurant/shop windows. Maybe something to look at? Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm deaf and blind so I can't do anything in customer service that involves directly talking to many strangers, but I can do any behind-the-scenes work like housekeeping, food prep, dishwashing. I can also do any computer job and I can communicate with other employees once I have a chance to explain to them how to communicate with me. But hey, if you see anything like dish washing, housekeeping, maintenance of any sort, or any sort of computer or data entry jobs, let me know.

I applied and opened a case with Goodwill. Have you heard of them? If you have, are they any good?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM

219 posts, read 562,419 times
Quote:

I'm deaf and blind so I can't do anything in customer service that involves directly talking to many strangers, but I can do any behind-the-scenes work like housekeeping, food prep, dishwashing. I can also do any computer job and I can communicate with other employees once I have a chance to explain to them how to communicate with me. But hey, if you see anything like dish washing, housekeeping, maintenance of any sort, or any sort of computer or data entry jobs, let me know.

I applied and opened a case with Goodwill. Have you heard of them? If you have, are they any good?
You, friend, are a warrior. I have heard of Goodwill. In fact, I just donated a bunch of items to them recently. They seem like a good non-profit.

By the way, don't post anything! Your number of posts and reputation points are exactly aligned.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:

Goodwill Industries are a similar organization to the Salvation Army, and I imagine they might be able to assist you.

Have you contacted the folks at your local association for the blind? They usually have job placement people who can help you find and maintain employment.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm even thinking of trying to get gigs as a lounge pianist at some of the Charlotte hotels and restaurants. Does anyone know of any hotels or restaurants that have a lounge scene? I can play afternoons or nights but nights will be harder to find transportation for, which is why I'm aiming more for hotels and restaurants than jazz clubs. Jazz clubs tend to be more late-night.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:44 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
That's if you have prior experience on a cash register or/and can lift 50 lbs repeatedly. I don't and can't. I've applied and I'm turned down for the few minimum wage jobs available. I'd be more than willing to take one that I could physically do. At 60 I can no longer lift 50 lbs, and in my 40 years of work experience I've never done retail or fast food so I'm standing behind 100's of applicants who have that experience for the few jobs available. I'd be more than willing to LEARN to work a cash register but why would employers pick me over someone who already has that experience?

Why is it the employed seems to think tons minimum wage jobs are out there
Because I've usually gotten another job within two weeks of the last one? I'm not picky about what jobs I'll take, and I'd keep filling out apps. Sometimes, more than one person would call me back in the same week, and I'd have to tell the second guy that I already took a job, sorry.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Goodwill Industries are a similar organization to the Salvation Army, and I imagine they might be able to assist you.

Have you contacted the folks at your local association for the blind? They usually have job placement people who can help you find and maintain employment.
I gave up on blind services a long time ago. Most of what I've asked for they have either not given me or taken so long to get back to me that I had already gotten it for myself. Cane, orientation and mobility, braille display. Pretty much everything except a job.

I applied to vocational rehab a year ago and they still haven't done anything for me yet. For example, they'll send me an appointment date and I'll say "sure, yes" and then they don't get back to me before the appointment date! So we have to reschedule, and then they'll say something like there was no interpreter available. So we have to reschedule again. This has been going on for the better part of a year.

It took them 6 months to get me a cane. I asked them for a braille display but it took them so long and I was losing my hearing so I had to buy my own out-of-pocket. (I got one second-hand for a fraction of the original price because new braille technology costs anywhere from $5,000-$10,000.) It turns out it took my totally deaf-blind friend 3 years to get a braille display. I'm glad I didn't try to wait.

Not to mention, most of the companies they have contracts with to employ the blind are factory jobs that I can't do anyway because of my arthritis/fibromyalgia. (I can't stand 12 hours a day or do the same hand movement for 12 hours a day.) If they manage to get me a job it will be nothing short of miraculous.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Janitor = Here is a listing for much more than the min wage you claim they make: Janitor Job in Chandler 85286, Arizona US (http://jobview.monster.com/Janitor-Job-Chandler-AZ-91239860.aspx - broken link)
Well I guess I will pack up all my bags and move down to Arizona. Wait.... Since I will not be able to afford a place to live, I guess I will not need to pack. I will just leave with the clothes that I have on my back.

Quote:
Okay so you spent $10 on gas. I don't know what you made but at $7/hour for 6 hour shift you'd have earned $42 gross.

How did you lose money by working?
$42 gross is about $30 net. Minus the $10 dollars in gas = $20 net. This is not even taken into consideration the wear and tear on your car.

Now I do not know how much the OP is getting in UE but I make over $250 after taxes and my out of pocket cost are nothing. I also have time to look for meaningful employment, not a job asking somebody if they want fries with their order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment