Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,859,576 times

Advertisements

People think the unemployed are lazy because of cultural stereotypes. They think of Cousin Eddie on the Chevy Chase movies who was out of work for seven years because he was holding out for a management position. Or Jimmy on Yes Dear, which airs on TBS who was out of work for several months and never bothered to look because he was happily living in his brother-in-law's guest house.

People also know just that one person and they think everyone is lazy. My step dad knows one guy that milked the system for two years, so he accuses me of not looking for work. I fill out at least three applications a day. The economy in Indiana SUCKS. In my area, there are three more retail stores closing.

Oh and I just love it when my mom, a baby boomer, always tells me the story of how my grandpa started out a $12 an hour in 1947 and she tells me I should be willing to take $7.25 an hour now, because if he can make it on $12 an hour in 1947 I should be able to make ends meet on $7.25 an hour in 2011. Okay, that makes ZERO sense at all. I would be thrilled with $12.00 an hour now though even though $12.00 an hour now was more like $6.00 an hour in 1947.

I have actually applied for retail jobs anyway because I would love to get out of the house. I always get, "if you have a college degree, why are you applying for a job that only pays $7.50 an hour?" or "you won't stay long will you?"

Old 01-05-2011, 11:12 AM

131 posts, read 299,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
People think the unemployed are lazy because of cultural stereotypes. They think of Cousin Eddie on the Chevy Chase movies who was out of work for seven years because he was holding out for a management position. Or Jimmy on Yes Dear, which airs on TBS who was out of work for several months and never bothered to look because he was happily living in his brother-in-law's guest house.

People also know just that one person and they think everyone is lazy. My step dad knows one guy that milked the system for two years, so he accuses me of not looking for work. I fill out at least three applications a day. The economy in Indiana SUCKS. In my area, there are three more retail stores closing.

Oh and I just love it when my mom, a baby boomer, always tells me the story of how my grandpa started out a $12 an hour in 1947 and she tells me I should be willing to take $7.25 an hour now, because if he can make it on $12 an hour in 1947 I should be able to make ends meet on $7.25 an hour in 2011. Okay, that makes ZERO sense at all. I would be thrilled with $12.00 an hour now though even though $12.00 an hour now was more like $6.00 an hour in 1947.

I have actually applied for retail jobs anyway because I would love to get out of the house. I always get, "if you have a college degree, why are you applying for a job that only pays $7.50 an hour?" or "you won't stay long will you?"
If you apply for a $7.50/hr job at a franchise and the interviewer feels that you are overqualified due to your college degree, you could always use the rationale:

"I plan to apply for a management position in this organization when the opportunity presents itself. To excel at that position, I feel it is important to learn the duties of the people I will potentially manage." or the like. They can't argue with that.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,020,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacci Balls View Post
If you apply for a $7.50/hr job at a franchise and the interviewer feels that you are overqualified due to your college degree, you could always use the rationale:

"I plan to apply for a management position in this organization when the opportunity presents itself. To excel at that position, I feel it is important to learn the duties of the people I will potentially manage." or the like. They can't argue with that.
I think that's what helped me get my holiday job, which is now 15 hours a week. Ugh. I hope that if nothing turns up, I may be able to move up in the retail world.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh, and PS.

I just found out that one of my 'near minimum-wage' coworkers was a VP at Merrill Lynch. She went to school for Pharmacy Tech after the lay off and STILL cannot find work. That certainly isn't lazy.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

275 posts, read 772,189 times
Because most people are inconsiderate, thoughtless morons - that's why they think anyone in their right mind would actually like being unemployed. I have never been unemployed until this recent economic recession and I have been working since age 17 (I am 39 now). I think I aged couple of decades in the last few years. I can't sleep, I can't concentrate, every muscle in my body hurts when I am at home. What you get paid is nowhere sufficient to cover your expenses if you have heavy student loans, mortgage, children. Only thing I am thankful is at least my husband has a job. (He was laid off last year and it took him 7 months to find a job which while pretty secure is not capable of paying the mortgage) So I try to console myself that we both could have been out of work at the same time. I don't even want to think about what will happen to my family when the unemployment benefits are gone and I am still looking. I now understand how people come to point of suicide. On top of all that we have to deal with these people who are just LUCKY enough to have jobs and not because they are in any way better than me.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:37 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,716,274 times
Quote:

I LOVED your post !

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:

12 an hour in 1947? More likely 12 a WEEK.

12 an hour would have been very, very RICH!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,627,483 times
I still stand by my point that there are many employed people that are lazy. Lazy can take many forms, such as not helping others. Many employed people shrug their shoulders and have a carefree attitude about the unemployed. They don't care what happens as long as they have their jobs.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,983 times
I have always worked, up until the economy tanked. I always did my job to the best of my abilities, was always ready to help out when needed. I have an excellent work record and always got excellent performance reviews. My last job, which was the best job I ever had in my 35 years of working, was with a small company that operated on contracts. When the economy went sour, we ran out of work contracts because the corporations we did work for were then struggling. I was laid off and my boss was crying because she felt so awful about having to lay me off. That was in October 2007. Since then, I have been applying for jobs for which I'm well-qualified for but I hear nothing. I will turn 59 next week and I truly believe that the only thing standing between me and a job is employers' practice of age discrimination. I returned to school in Fall 2008 to get a degree in medical transcription from a local two-year college; at the time of my enrollment, that was still a viable career field. When I graduated this past May, all those transcription jobs were being sent to India. I wasted my time and my previous IRA funds on a worthless education. So I'm back to applying for any kind of job I can - and hearing nothing in response. This is totally unacceptable in a country such as ours! This is when we NEED a government that will step up to the plate with a jobs program to get people back to work. I'm tired of being treated like a leper from Biblical times. I was laid off, not because I did anything wrong, but because this is callous country that cares only about the rich and rewards greed. Our politicians are so in pay to big money that I don't see anything being done to help ordinary people ever. I don't believe I will ever be gainfully employed again. If I could move to France or Germany, I would.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:09 PM

313 posts, read 449,556 times
A lot of people in their mid-to-upper 70's remember what it was like in the Great Depression. My oldest brother sure does. I wasn't born until much later. But though our family weren't particularly affected by it, I've always noticed certain quirks that were picked up by having to live very frugal.

So while your aunt and uncle are likely being a bit too hard-hearted, they are likely no stranger to a depression (or recession, depending on your opinion). They remember the hard efforts that a lot of people had to make to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.