Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 04:59 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I've worked for many of them as well. Some were complete morons. They got jobs simply because they had rich, connected families.
I am not trying to generalize. I live in NYC so I've seen everything and then some in 15 years. I've met some dynamic directors and CEO's of both private and non profit companies and other performing arts foundations. They were on their A-game big time! They were pc literate, Mac users, social media and were incredible to work for. They were very educated and classy, not snooty and malicious. They were personable, charismatic and socialized. Their was good energy and camaraderie. And the people on their boards (of directors) were similar.

Then while I tempted and worked permanent I had the "Hydes" who were primarily at Big law firms, some F500 and mostly Wall Street. They were like something out of a Rob Reiner (pathetic) comedy or some corporate stereotype made fun on Sat. Night Live. I don't think they could go to the john without having someone wipe their for them. You just want to put exlax in their coffee or puncture their tires after a while, when you've had enough abuse. These are the laziest.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM

To those who say "Few are looking..." How the hell do you know that few are looking? Maybe the few you know or see. Maybe you believe everything you read in the press/media. Unless you're a mind reader or Professor X from the X-Men and can mentally connect to every human on the planet, you really can't assert that. Plenty are looking for jobs. Many jobs are not there and are not coming back. Many simply can't take minimum wage jobs or part time, or volunteering, or whatever you think your concept of "a job" is. Maybe you need to go the areas where these job seekers live and see how easy it is to get a job there. You say move? How do you move if you have no money to? Get off your high horse; you may be a few pink slips away yourself. In fact, all the malicious and judgmental critics and Inquisitors who bash the unemployed: I sooo hope it happens to you and that you "burn." I want to see how quick you are to dole out judgment and "solutions" then. (end of litany.)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I am not trying to generalize. I live in NYC so I've seen everything and then some in 15 years. I've met some dynamic directors and CEO's of both private and non profit companies and other performing arts foundations. They were on their A-game big time! They were pc literate, Mac users, social media and were incredible to work for. They were very educated and classy, not snooty and malicious. They were personable, charismatic and socialized. Their was good energy and camaraderie. And the people on their boards (of directors) were similar.

Then while I tempted and worked permanent I had the "Hydes" who were primarily at Big law firms, some F500 and mostly Wall Street. They were like something out of a Rob Reiner (pathetic) comedy or some corporate stereotype made fun on Sat. Night Live. I don't think they could go to the john without having someone wipe their for them. You just want to put exlax in their coffee or puncture their tires after a while, when you've had enough abuse. These are the laziest.
I've for a few good ones as well. That's a pleasure and very inspiring.

But some of them, oy! They made me sick to my stomach.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
Another thing I've noticed: the people who call out on the unemployed being "lazy" are typically the career driven crazies who don't have a life outside of a career. In their eyes a career is your life. Unfortunately that way of thinking is dead. Sure, I could work 60 hours a week and suck up to the Yuppie-tron boss, and I might have some hairline chance of being promoted, but to sacrifice my own life for some pie in the sky promise just isn't worth it. You work like a dog just to have your employer throw you out the door. Sure, employers have the right to do it. That doesn't mean that every employee will put up with it. Just as an employer has the right to fire at will, I as a potential employee have the right to tell these BS employers to jump in front of a semi truck and go SPLAT!

Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
I welcome anyone to come here and look for a job if they don't believe me. I can show you where to apply and what will happen after that. Hint: you can here a pin drop.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
To those who say "Few are looking..." How the hell do you know that few are looking? Maybe the few you know or see. Maybe you believe everything you read in the press/media. Unless you're a mind reader or Professor X from the X-Men and can mentally connect to every human on the planet, you really can't assert that. Plenty are looking for jobs. Many jobs are not there and are not coming back. Many simply can't take minimum wage jobs or part time, or volunteering, or whatever you think your concept of "a job" is. Maybe you need to go the areas where these job seekers live and see how easy it is to get a job there. You say move? How do you move if you have no money to? Get off your high horse; you may be a few pink slips away yourself. In fact, all the malicious and judgmental critics and Inquisitors who bash the unemployed: I sooo hope it happens to you and that you "burn." I want to see how quick you are to dole out judgment and "solutions" then. (end of litany.)

Good post

Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM

Wait 'till all that euro and banking drama in Greece, Spain and Italy recochets back here. I want to see how many haters still have their cushy, "I'm better than you" jobs.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
I welcome anyone to come here and look for a job if they don't believe me. I can show you where to apply and what will happen after that. Hint: you can here a pin drop.
Where do you live, and why are you only looking for jobs in your city?

Also, you rarely find a job by simply applying for it. What are you doing to volunteer/network/etc? You get jobs because you get to know people who are hiring, not by blindly shooting resumes off to companies.

Quote:
Wait 'till all that euro and banking drama in Greece, Spain and Italy recochets back here. I want to see how many haters still have their cushy, "I'm better than you" jobs.
What the hell is an "I'm better than you" job?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Why do people think if we are unemployed we are LAZY???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Apparently you are ignorant to the number of college educated people who are unemployed. I am one of millions. As for starting a business, I would love to, but can't get the funds yet.

News flash: Law firms are laying off and hospitals are reducing staff and some are closing due to bankruptcy.
I know there are college educated people that are unemployed. I didn't know that getting a college education automatically finds you a job. It doesn't, you still have to be better than the next person to be considered for a particular job. It's not the employers fault if you don't get the job, so who's fault is it? My wife lost her job a couple years back because the company where she worked was downsizing. She looked for work and complained she couldn't find a job. When I questioned her the reason was obvious to me why she couldn't find a job. She wanted more pay than most employers were willing to pay, but she was drawing unemployment benefits, so it didn't matter to her. Her friends that were laid off at the same time found jobs eventually, but they were working for less money at jobs they didn't like. She felt some menial jobs that she could have worked at were beneath her, so she turned them down. She really didn't need a job, we got by just fine without her working. Most of the money she was making before she was laid off went into her retirement fund. She ended up retiring and not working again except for an investment firm part time.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
How are you supposed to get to know who the hiring manager is at stop and shop besides a simple phone call? I'm using logic here. The bar was raised too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment