Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

This is my technique at trying to get a job. I look for the head, the hiring manager(or the highest ranking official). I never want to give my resume to just anyone behind the desk because I don't trust that my resume will get to the resume. Sure, it might be that person's job to get my resume to the manager. However, I take into account that with the competition for jobs, some people don't want to see someone get hired, therefore, some people might try to put a stumbling block there.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 PM

640 posts, read 1,214,783 times
What if you found out an employee lied to you about if a store was hiring? Or they threw your application out?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
What if you found out an employee lied to you about if a store was hiring? Or they threw your application out?
That is why I ask for the hiring manager. I would rather hear it from the person who does the hiring than the person who doesn't. I take what you said into account. I always ask for the hiring manager, and I recommend that everyone else do the same.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM

I am just so tired of having to jump through hoops for even the most basic jobs that don't require more then a pulse. This november will be 4 years I've been doing it. This is 99% why I can't find a job. I don't bother going in to stores much or following up anymore. Getting sideswiped over the phone is alot less embarrassing then being told to "check back in a year" all the time. Last thing I need is to get blacklisted or something. Man employers are delusional. I even anger a few of them on here because they can't take back what they dish out.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:16 PM

Couldn't afford community college all these years. Even with financial aid it was too much. I got my GED in september 2010. Worked 2 seasonal jobs last year because that was all I could find out here. Of course I was looking for a job even before that. I am working with vocrehab right now because I have a disability. You hear all about employers are not allowed to discriminate, but in the real world that crap means nothing. I am trying to get off SSI because it's too little for me to live on. I am hoping vocrehab will be able to help me out somehow. I guess all I can do is move out of here.

People say you gotta start from the bottom, well that's what I've been trying to do for all these years, it's not working out.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I can tell you why. Because the majority of businesses have gone from apply in person to apply online. They also consider checking up on your application/resume as "harassment" so you basically have to sit at your house all day applying, then sit at your house all day waiting to be called back.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:05 PM

Currently, this is my reason for being unemployed. I graduated from college yesterday. I finally have a B.A. in Geography. Right now, there are jobs out there that will take a degree in Geography, mainly surveying, GIS Technician, Analyst, GIS Technician to name a few. For me, it isn't that the jobs are not being posted. The problem is that every job requires at least 3 years of experience. How am I suppose to get experience if no one will give me experience? I had an internship for a national park designing maps. However, that doesn't seem to be enough. So far, I can't even find any entry level jobs.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
That sucks, but legally you can't do anything about it.

You can stop patronizing their business, but they won't miss your dollars.

You can go into the business and curse them out, but they'll just have their goon(s) toss you out or they'll have the police arrest you.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is why I ask for the hiring manager. I would rather hear it from the person who does the hiring than the person who doesn't. I take what you said into account. I always ask for the hiring manager, and I recommend that everyone else do the same.
Good luck with that.

The supposed gatekeepers will give you the 5th degree before they allow you to see them, and if you give them the right answers, they'll come up with any ol' excuse for you to not see the hiring manager.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Good luck with that.

The supposed gatekeepers will give you the 5th degree before they allow you to see them, and if you give them the right answers, they'll come up with any ol' excuse for you to not see the hiring manager.
I tried that today. The person said "She's busy". Well, I didn't believe him. I was afraid to ask him for a job application. I got an application, filled it out, gave it to him, and then watched him to make sure it got to the manager. I got the manager to speak to me for a moment.

why do you think the "gatekeepers" don't want to let someone see the hiring manager? I'm just looking for your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment