Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But how would one be much more advantageous than the other which seems to be the point that TVSG was making?
Oh no, it is STT with rearing her head with common sense.. I had a staff argue with me once that it was more, because of the two extra paycheques

It's a bug's life, in grasshoppa' world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:53 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,096 times
I guess I would say my best days were in the Air Force.
I was in photographic reconaissance (both tactical & strategic).
I would upload/download the camera systems on F-4 and SR-71 aircraft and
then process the films for the PI's later on.
Forget Google Earth.
These optics were so sophisticated you could read a liscence plate from 60,000 ft.!
I had a top secret clearance and saw all kinds of stuff that I can't talk about.
I mean I could tell you but I'd have to kill you after...lol
Now they can do the same thing from a low orbiting satellite...truly amazing.
I got out as a staff sargent (E-5) after five years and had some nice assignments
I was perm. party in Italy, Hawaii, California, and TDY to New Mexico and Alaska.
If I had it to do over I would've put in 20 or 25 years until I hit E-8 or E-9.

Last edited by GM1258; 10-11-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But how would one be much more advantageous than the other which seems to be the point that TVSG was making?
Depending on whether you're salaried or hourly, it can equal more money in the long-run. Either way it's nice to get paid every other week, rather than having to wait for specific days of the month... which can occasionally lead to a lag (over 2 weeks), especially if you run into holidays, weekends & long months. Not a huge difference overall, but if I had to pick I would rather have bi-weekly paychecks.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Oh, and my favorite job was probably at a city/county library where I worked in 2008... it was a fairly large library with nearly 10 full-time librarians, of which I was one. Reasons I loved it included the hours (12-9pm), the awesome co-workers, supportive work environment, and the fact that I was left to my own devices most of the time. I was assigned specific "desk hours" (sitting at the public reference desk) a few hours daily, and the rest of the day I worked independently on projects. Oh, and it also happened to be located in an awesome town! Unfortunately it was only a temporary job, although they did imply it could go permanent... but then I got a permanent higher-paying job offer somewhere else, and felt I had to accept. Kinda regret that decision, but I really didn't have a choice at the time.

I've also been a pet-sitter on & off for about 10 years, and that's a super fun job! All I do is drive to people's homes, and spend about 30 minutes with their pet/s... walk a dog (unless it's a cat visit), fill the food & water, and spend the rest of my time cuddling & playing with them. Doesn't get much better than that, but unfortunately it hasn't been stable enough income for my needs.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
The best job is the one I have now for the last 12 years. I make the most money and do the least amount of work. I have internet and surf all day long.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Hmm well I've had a few-but the best job was in high school-I worked at a fast food joint and I think it was the best because I didn't have a care in the world-I never worried about bills or who was being passed over for a promotion or trying to get a promotion...we just always had a good time-I miss that because once you are an adult-working becomes a new ball game

Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
I started as a intern for college(at age 30) at our new minor league baseball stadium. I ended up staying for 4 more seasons as a usher. Hands down the most fun I've ever had on a job. Great people, outdoors for 9 innings(bad weather included) and fun atmosphere. I'll never have a better job than that.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
My current job hands down is my favorite. Being an airline loadmaster is anything but boring. Since going to work for my current employer, I have been all over the U.S. and all over the world.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I enjoyed teaching both university and adult education classes. That was the most fun I had.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 PM

16 posts, read 31,730 times
workin at chuck e cheese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment