Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Wait, this is your first job out of college, teaching? If you quit, you will blow your career for quite awhile. That willl ********* for a long time, and follow you...in this case you need to suck it up until the end of the school year. Unless you have the counseling job to go to, that makes leaving this job legitimate. Yes, your job is hard, yes you hate it...I won't sugar coat this, if you quit this, your first job out of college, you are not doing yourself any favors. And if you are close to getting fired, talk to your boss about getting a mentor teacher to help you out.

I am almost wondering...is this out of fun college, new job, whining? Yes, this is called "being grown up", you have to work, and sometimes it is at jobs you don't like. I guess, if you have a momma who will let you come home, go ahead and quit, and look for your utopia job...good luck with that...it takes work to get there.

No one in education will respect you, or give you the time of day if you blow your first teaching job out of college. that sounds harsh...but it is pretty true.

I received my teaching credential 2 years ago and then did my master's right away in counseling while subbing for 2 years. Subbing was fine.

I was unable to secure a counseling job, so I used my teaching credential to fall back on. I liked teaching, until I got this position. It's a long story but I was misled about this assignment. When I applied for jobs, I ONLY applied for RSP teaching positions because it was the only type of teaching job I felt I was able to work well in. This job is an SDC one although they advertised it as a RSP position. I knew I was capable of being a great RSP teacher and was comfortable in there, but this has students that are ED, constant behavior problems, and they are years behind grade level. They need someone that works well in the SDC population.

It is my first year as a full time teacher, and my goal going into this was to last a full year. There are just too many obstacles that are making me want to resign after one semester:
1. my health
2. $ (I am saving nothing taking this job)
3. The district is not getting me the correct curriculum to use with my students although I gave them the list of things I needed. I only have enough material to get me through maybe a month, unless I just give them nothing but worksheets throughout the year.
4. General ed. teachers- I have had to be a snitch after being nice to teachers just to get them to come to the IEPs with having a sub for them while they are here. None of them go to the IEP, and I get blamed for this.

I have started my own business on the side which is a counseling service I offer. I was planning to resign at the end of January when the semester is over, and market my business more. While doing that, I was going to apply for any counseling positions I found. Obviously if I can get a counseling offer while being employed as a teacher, the school would understand it more since they knew my goal was not to be a teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Okay, but you willl have a long career, and you don't know if your part time job counseling will really work out, you are not licensed yet, only working on it, you are certified. I simply want you to be aware of the ramifications of that choice. I taught school for over 20 years, SPED. you need a mentor teacher to help you.

Your counseling job won't offer health insurance, your current job does. If your helath is a problem, than...losing health insurance won't help you.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Okay, but you willl have a long career, and you don't know if your part time job counseling will really work out, you are not licensed yet, only working on it, you are certified. I simply want you to be aware of the ramifications of that choice. I taught school for over 20 years, SPED. you need a mentor teacher to help you.

Your counseling job won't offer health insurance, your current job does. If your helath is a problem, than...losing health insurance won't help you.

You are definitely right about the health insurance aspect of this. That is more of a concern with me than salary at this point.

I am already licensed for counseling. Received it in June. I just haven't had a counseling job yet working under someone. I just started to the side by own counseling business, but I doubt I could build up enough clients to be able to work on my own longterm.

I actually have a mentor teacher and a consulate that helps me. The school has given me a lot of support. The trouble is, it is the support they are giving me that has caused me some trouble. I feel that they are wasting their time giving me all these people when the truth is, I could use:
a. the proper books in my classroom
b. for them to actually designate this as a RSP class and NOT give me SDC students (which won't happen because this district will only put severely handicapped kids in SDC classes).
c. the consultate to use his time to help pick up my caseload instead of just coming in and actually making my position more difficult

It takes a special person to do this job and well, I aint special. I probably would stick this out the full year if the school gave me a more reasonable caseload, or they gave me less students to teach. Yes I knew teaching special ed. would be taking on many faces, but this is taking on TOO MANY faces. When I did student teaching, it was NOTHING like what I have experienced here. Granted they are very different.

I actually spoke to the union rep today about what would happen if I resign after 1 semester because I was scared of getting my credential revoked. They don't revoke anything here and the superintendent is pretty reasonable and not looking to teach anyone a lesson. According to the rep, she believes that I could still list this job on a resume, list my principal as a reference, and leave in good faith since I am going to try to market my business more. They don't have to know it's due to me being miserable there. When I interviewed, I told the panel that my goal was to be a counselor at a school or college and not to be a teacher. They respected that and one of my supervisors already knows that this would be a 1 year max. position for me.

The semester ends on Jan 21. I will give the school my resignation the first week of December for them to have over a month (due to xmas) to hire someone. Although I am not 100% sure I will resign after a semester, I think I will probably end up doing that.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Look at your state, because when you graduate with your dregree in counseling, you need to do counseling for usually 2000 hours before you are licensed. Unitl that time, you are cerrtified...during that time you need to have supervision, this is after the internship.

Well, do what is best for you...but don't burn any bridges you might want back. Having a year of teaching SPED gives you more credibility than 5 months.

Also, counselors can't do third party payment to mdicaid, medicare, and still most insurance companies, Tri-care for one, won't pay counselors, even though they will pay social workers. Definitely not until you are licensed...know the difference btwn licensed and certified.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Look at your state, because when you graduate with your dregree in counseling, you need to do counseling for usually 2000 hours before you are licensed. Unitl that time, you are cerrtified...during that time you need to have supervision, this is after the internship.

Well, do what is best for you...but don't burn any bridges you might want back. Having a year of teaching SPED gives you more credibility than 5 months.

Also, counselors can't do third party payment to mdicaid, medicare, and still most insurance companies, Tri-care for one, won't pay counselors, even though they will pay social workers. Definitely not until you are licensed...know the difference btwn licensed and certified.

I am LICENSED and CERTIFIED. I also am able to work in other states and took national certification for this. I did all my hours for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment