Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If in no danger of running out of unemployment what would you do?
Get a job as soon as possible even if it is minimum wage flipping burgers or scrubbing toilets 24 30.38%
Use unemployment for what is was intended for, searching for suitable employment 55 69.62%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 AM

323 posts, read 561,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
You are wrong. Selfishness is paying minimum wage when you can afford to pay more. I'm not just talking about fast food jobs. There are lots of jobs out there that used to pay considerably more than minimum wage but are now using the economy as an excuse to give low-ball wages. You ever heard you get what you pay for? When you pay the minimum, you get the minimum in return. I have no problem giving a honest day of work for an honest day of pay but I'm not going to bust my ass working for a company that doesn't allow me an opportunity for a decent living. As far as moving up, any company I've seen that starts out at minimum wage is not a company I'd want to progress in.
exactly. my brother started out at a company that only pays 9.25 an hour to start--but it is not minimum wage. 10 years later he's a general store manager...but he has advanced wayyyy beyond the 9.25 he started out with. i seriously doubt that would have happened had he started out at 6.50 an hour at another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,243 times
Its good to see that most people here see the need for a true living wage job, unlike quite a few here that are very vocal to the opposite.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:15 AM

323 posts, read 561,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I was in school, I did let others benefit from my "gifts", let them cheat off me on tests, did their homework for them. Until I woke up one day and questioned why anyone else should benefit off my mind but me.
and what about the low paying warehouse jobs?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
and what about the low paying warehouse jobs?
I'd do a low-paying warehouse job for a while for less stress. My blood pressure is high enough now.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
I chose Option B. For me, it's not about humility or work ethic...it's about being practical. Why on earth would anyone take a job that pays less than UI -- when even the state requires that a claimant look for work that pays above UI -- is beyond me.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Its good to see that most people here see the need for a true living wage job, unlike quite a few here that are very vocal to the opposite.
Yea man...I mean I understand the whole idea of sacrifice and everything, but there's a difference between compromise and stupidity. You cannot feed a family on min. wage unless you're on every government assistance program ever invented....which would basically trump the other side's argument.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
We've been having a debate on various threads about whether or not people should remain on unemployment or accept a low paying job. I just though we should have a poll on it.

In order to have useful data, it would also be nice to know if you are currently employed or not.

I'm unemployed and I voted option B
I'm employed and I voted for option A.

I've had short gaps in my employment but never collected unemployment. To me, since I've also been in the position of hiring people, the important thing is to have no employment gaps.

It's far easier to explain a "lesser" (I don't actually believe any honest job is lowly) jobs than to explain laying around doing nothing to an interviewer.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
It's the intelligent thing to do, to take UI, rather than just except a menial job. Especially if you're a white collar professional, who is worth much more, than the minimum wage. If you're eligible to receive UI, then don't feel guilty by taking it. After all, you previously paid into the system via taxes, to receive UI. And you got UI because you lost your job, through no fault of your own.

Besides, nobody can live on minimum wage these days, if you're a self-supporting adult. As long as minimum wage is below about $14 an hour, then it's not enough to survive on if you have to support yourself, with no help from others.
That's the problem. We have a large population of unemployed who think they are too good to work at jobs that aren't high paying - and they expect the working people to support them forever.

The high paying jobs aren't coming back - no one is electing the Pat Buchanan types who cared about good jobs for Americans - you have a bunch of globalist owned politicians in office now and so it's time to accept reality.

There is someone somewhere in the world who will do the job you did for far far less than $14 an hour, and for less than American minimum wage.

Blame the American voters if you want to blame anyone. Or the shoppers.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Well after 2 days and 46 votes I think it is pretty obvious more people would rather draw unemployment than clean toilets. 71% vs. 28% makes it kind of hard to argue with the results.

I realize this is probably a biased poll as I suspect there are more people that are unemployed looking at a forum for work and employment. This does prove a point; it is easy to say you would work for minimum wage when you are currently employed. I'm sure there are people who thought the same thing before their job loss. Sometimes you need to walk in somebody else's shoes before you can form an opinion.

Just my 2 cents
It explains this --- while Americans lay around living off unemployment handouts and demanding more, immigrants are pouring over the border finding plenty of work:

Immigrants gain over U.S. workers - Simmi Aujla - POLITICO.com

Immigrant workers have gained jobs since the recession ended, while native-born Americans continued to lose work, a new report finds.

Read more: Immigrants gain over U.S. workers - Simmi Aujla - POLITICO.com

You seriously have to wonder how long the unemployed think this is going to pan out for them. They refuse to work believing the government will support them and pay for their nice houses and keep them in style forever - while others gladly take the jobs they snort their noses over.

I've worked minimum wage jobs and I've worked them AFTER I got a college degree because it's important to stay busy, keep your mind active and no job is really lowly - you can learn something even from a temporary job that isn't the pay you really want.

Watch the show about "The Boss" that shows the top guy trying to do the front line work and you can see that all jobs have their challenges and you can gain knowledge and insight by working them.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:59 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,313 times
Problem for me was that my "quarter" was based upon a part time job. Driving a school bus for 25hrs a week I was on salary for 18K. I also took the 26 week pay instead of 21. So my unemployment was $169. And since it didn't show that I only worked part time-anything that paid more than the $169 I was going to have to take. I got a job that the owner described as entry level(how at 45 years old I am considered entry level is beyond me). $10hr. Whoppie. I am doing medical collections for a durable medical goods company-actually the sleep study/cpap end-calling insurance companies to verify they've received the claim and if it's processed or needs to be re-submitted. I've done that work before-so how I am entry level is beyond me too. No benefits for a year, probation for 6 months)(at interview he told me if I didn't get money that the company was to get from claims-I'd be down the road-nice huh?) and I earn 1 vacation day each month after 7 months there. I am not long for this place. I am making exactly what I made at 21 years old starting out driving a school bus. Only one other person I work with also went to college-and the majority of my co-workers are 20-25 years old. On girl has been there 4 years and she's leaving in December after she gets her associates degree-there's a glass ceiling here-what ever job you in now-that's all you ever do. No upward progressions at all. I've stepped so far backwards it's not even funny. Yeah, I get paycheck-but it doesn't even cover our expenses for the month. Not owning a home, car insurance, homeowner insurance, gas& electric, groceries, etc for a family of 5. Spouse still can't find work-his business is doing almost nothing and he's got no UI. I am looking for another job along with something part time too. Doing what we can, but this isn't going to get us back where we were at all-I am actually making less doing this job full time than I was as a part time bus driver for a yearly salary. It's not right and employers know they can mess with their workers-but when it turns around again-they'll be the ones out of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment