Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If in no danger of running out of unemployment what would you do?
Get a job as soon as possible even if it is minimum wage flipping burgers or scrubbing toilets 24 30.38%
Use unemployment for what is was intended for, searching for suitable employment 55 69.62%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:13 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,521,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey Koale,

Quit with this 'high and mighty' nonsense. You have absolutely no proof, that the hungry and homeless, all refused to work menial jobs! What an incredibly arrogant assumption. Many of those people had menial jobs, then lost them.
Yea, really. I would think that it's the low paying "menial" jobs that make you homeless, as they don't pay enough to survive and work you like there aren't enough hours in the day. Some of these jobs pay 8.00 gross, net they are below 7.25, don't pay overtime and give you crazy hours. This is what I am finding advertised. As far as taxes, once they strip it from your check, you have zero control of what they do with your money so get over it. You can work as an independent contractor or open your own business, if you want to control your tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,487 times
Thumbs down hmmm

Don't get upset. Read this thread. I'm not being arrogant and I'm not assuming a single thing. I've been out of work in the past. Swore it would never happen again and it hasn't. What reason is there to be out of work since 2007? Absolutely none! None! Three years w/out a job? Come on, three months...maybe. Even the Salvation army pays $10.00 an hour to ring a bell. There is more to the reason than you and many others are willing to admit. Our country is in a state of complacency...meaning...'you better hand it to me cuz I'm not reaching for it'!
Koale

Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Don't get upset. Read this thread. I'm not being arrogant and I'm not assuming a single thing. I've been out of work in the past. Swore it would never happen again and it hasn't. What reason is there to be out of work since 2007? Absolutely none! None! Three years w/out a job? Come on, three months...maybe. Even the Salvation army pays $10.00 an hour to ring a bell. There is more to the reason than you and many others are willing to admit. Our country is in a state of complacency...meaning...'you better hand it to me cuz I'm not reaching for it'!
Koale

You can swear it won't happen all you want but unless you have your own business, you have no control of the situation. Also, in today's economy, if you happen to find yourself out of work, it's unlikely you will find a job in 3 months.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Question I don't get it...

Maybe that's why I have a job. Because I have to pay rent and buy food and gas. I don't have the best paying job in the world and I work like a dog to provide for my family. It's called responsibility and self-esteem. A low paying job is better than no job, isn't it? They can lead somewhere, maybe. Won't it at least put gas in your car and some food on the table? But then again, it's probably easier for me to work and pay taxes so you can collect a weekly check and complain that 99 weeks isn't long enough. Who is feeding your pets? Don't you feel any sense of responsibilty, even to your dog if not yourself?
Koale

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

580 posts, read 2,292,644 times
Quote:
Maybe that's why I have a job. Because I have to pay rent and buy food and gas. I don't have the best paying job in the world and I work like a dog to provide for my family. It's called responsibility and self-esteem. A low paying job is better than no job, isn't it? They can lead somewhere, maybe. Won't it at least put gas in your car and some food on the table? Who is feeding your pets? Don't you feel any sense of responsibilty, even to your dog if not yourself?
Koale
I don't have to put gas in my car because I don't have to drive to work.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:46 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,224,916 times
Hey Koale,

You can't tell me, that any job is better than no job, if you're able to pay your expenses via UI. The smartest thing that a person can do, is look for a job, that would allow them to pay there bills, while they're collecting unemployment.

A minimum wage job, doesn't pay enough for a self-supporting adult, to survive on. So many of you on this thread, JUST DON'T GET THAT FACT! So collecting UI, is NOT about being too proud to work for minimum wage, or being an irresponsible bum. It's about being smart enough, to look for a job that will pay you enough to live on!

Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Exclamation uh huh...

For three years while I pay for your free medical and food stamps?
You...just don't get it.
Koale

Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 PM

People he is just trying to incite us...he's a troll. Let it go..he's clueless.

You know what??? You have a very self righteous, judgmental attitude. You think everybody here is in the same boat? I quit my job. It was a job from hell and my boss was Satan in the flesh - and I just had enough. I am not collecting unemployment. I have tenants since I own property.So what're you gonna say to me now? I am done with you. You must be like a H.S. graduate or some sheltered 20something.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Some people can put up with a nasty boss and just take it bending over, and others won't. Well, I'm the one, maybe who didn't slide down the schute like that crazy flight attendant, but yea, I kind of told the boss to stick it.And I would do it again 'cos I don't bend over for nobody.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
For three years while I pay for your free medical and food stamps?
You...just don't get it.
Koale
Son, you aint' paying for squat. I pay my own way and don't take nada from nobody. And if I wanted to take from somebody, I just would, and by the time they figure it out...well you get it. It's a dog eat dog world. All depends where you are on that food chain. If you want to survive you better do what you can - even if that means collect whatever for how long. I am behind all these folks 100%. They work and pay unemployment tax like everybody else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment