Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

On a positive note, I just read that Obama wants to end tax breaks for those who outsource jobs. Gotta love that. I do hope he succeeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 05:25 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I would say we will see a definite uptick after the November elections. Companies are sitting on mountains of cash and what is keeping them from spending is the uncertainty of what our current government will do to them...

I agree that we may see an uptick in hiring after the elections...that is IF the Republicans pick up lots of seats in Congress. The corporate types are overwhelmingly Republican and I believe, not above a stunt like that.

I can hear the new Republican Congress now..."See, we fixed the unemployment problem!"

Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Long slow drop in salaries while salaries in India/China rise up. The only way for us to function is to be able to sell overseas and the only way to do that is for people abroad to be able to afford the stuff we make......

Unfortunately, I think that means that the days of Americans having much higher and more expensive and consumerist lifestyles than the rest of the world is pretty much done.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Long slow drop in salaries while salaries in India/China rise up. The only way for us to function is to be able to sell overseas and the only way to do that is for people abroad to be able to afford the stuff we make......

Unfortunately, I think that means that the days of Americans having much higher and more expensive and consumerist lifestyles than the rest of the world is pretty much done.
This I can live with very easily (the bolded part). I'm not sure about others, but I don't need fancy gadgets and a lot of other stuff.

What worries me is what happens to those who can't find jobs and have no money. I am concerned over a wave of homelessness and suffering. This could even translate into an uprising. Worst case scenario - streets of roving bandits with guns breaking down doors and robbing and killing people for food, etc.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM

73 posts, read 288,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Some people think things will turn around. Some people think they won't.

What I think is that for some people it will be too late. I have other thoughts but would like to hear yours.

What are your predictions?
Well with the tax cuts expiring and healthcare happening in some states employers, sm business people, etc are going to be paying upwards of 60% in taxes.

If we can get rid of Pelosi, Reid and get Obama in check things may stop getting worse, if not things will continue to get worse. There really isn't any getting better in the short term, just not getting worse is the best we can hope for.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I suspect we are all in the process of taking a few steps down in our income levels and lifestyle, except for the wealthy at the top of the heap.

Take my job, for instance. If you look at everyone with my particular job, you find that probably 70% attended college, most of those have an average degree from an average college. The rest worked their way up with no degree. I have been looking for a new job. I'm not even expecting a step up, I would just be happy with a lateral move someplace.

So as I read listings of comparable jobs to what I have now, I am starting to see as a requirement, "Must have a graduate degree, preferably from a top tier school." Say whaaaa? Are they really able to get someone with that background to take my job? Mine? Seriously??? And I've been seeing it a lot, many many ads. And I have applied but didn't even get a phone call so they must be finding a lot of people with the qualifications they are demanding.

So if the guy who spent $100k+ on his education is willing to take my job, if I were to lose my job tomorrow I guess that would mean I am forced to settle for a job a couple of steps down, and the guy who last had that job is now working a couple steps downward, and so on and so on.

I hope I'm wrong about it, but it looks like that is where we are heading. How many people here on CD have griped about having to take a crappier job... I guess I didn't understand what they were talking about until I started looking around for myself. And you people who are supporting a family... jeez what a nightmarish time we are in!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
Well with the tax cuts expiring and healthcare happening in some states employers, sm business people, etc are going to be paying upwards of 60% in taxes.

If we can get rid of Pelosi, Reid and get Obama in check things may stop getting worse, if not things will continue to get worse. There really isn't any getting better in the short term, just not getting worse is the best we can hope for.
Well, sadly, my prediction is that republicans win in November and it's back to business as usual - massive job losses, greater wealth for the already rich, more outsourcing, fewer people able to spend on stuff, and a downward spiral.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post

Please, anyone who believes this is a partisan issue is a fool... both parties are filled with elitists who are making money on both ends. Each side tries to brainwash their supporters into believing that they aren't the ones robbing the store, it's those other guys!! And here you are, bought it hook line and sinker. Dem, Rep, those guys are all friends, they went to the same universities, they dated each other, they were in the same fraternities... come on, wake up!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Please, anyone who believes this is a partisan issue is a fool... both parties are filled with elitists who are making money on both ends. Each side tries to brainwash their supporters into believing that they aren't the ones robbing the store, it's those other guys!! And here you are, bought it hook line and sinker. Dem, Rep, those guys are all friends, they went to the same universities, they dated each other, they were in the same fraternities... come on, wake up!
True to a point. I think it's the lesser of two evils - that being the Dems. So far, Obama was able to get health care reform passed. If the republicans find a way to roll it back, I'll be leaving the US. Also, Obama does want to eliminate tax breaks to those who outsource. That is a step in the right direction.

Plus, and OT slightly, I think there are those who just dislike him due to his race. I know of one always loyal Democrat who simply would not vote for him because of this. I don't think he's been given a fair shake at all.

Having said all of this, my prediction is that somehow healthcare reform will not go through and I'll have to make other plans. Right now I pay the equivalent of a mortgage for mine. Simply can't keep on doing it when there are not many jobs available.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
True to a point. I think it's the lesser of two evils - that being the Dems. So far, Obama was able to get health care reform passed. If the republicans find a way to roll it back, I'll be leaving the US. Also, Obama does want to eliminate tax breaks to those who outsource. That is a step in the right direction.

Plus, and OT slightly, I think there are those who just dislike him due to his race. I know of one always loyal Democrat who simply would not vote for him because of this. I don't think he's been given a fair shake at all.

Having said all of this, my prediction is that somehow healthcare reform will not go through and I'll have to make other plans. Right now I pay the equivalent of a mortgage for mine. Simply can't keep on doing it when there are not many jobs available.
It's "lesser of two evils" for everyone. We've all just got to realize that your top three issues may be different than my top three issues which may be different that the next guy's top three issues... but at the end of the day most of us want the same things. We only differ big time on a few things but the folks in charge seize on these issues in order to divide us, in order to make money. From all of us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment