U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 AM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
If you are in academia or at the senior executive level, 3 pages is okay. For everyone else, it's too much.

One page should be sufficient until you reach about 10 years experience. Possibly a little sooner for some people. Then you can go up to two. When you run out of room on two pages, you need to start editing.

Remember, you should only be listing the MOST RELEVANT experience pertinent to the job you are applying for. For example, even if you've worked in the same field for 20 years, the work you did 20 years ago is probably not particularly relevant anymore. It's old. The knowledge or technology is obsolete. So list the recent work, not older work. You may be skilled at dozens of software programs but probably not all of them are relevant to every single job. Some companies may use some software, others use different programs. List the ones that are relevant, eliminate those that aren't. List two or three of your best accomplishments, eliminate those that pale by comparison. Academics should only list the name of the school and the degree awarded, not year, city, GPA, honors, etc. After getting your first professional job, you shouldn't be listing anything you did in college (except your degree of course).

For most employers, two pages isn't an automatic reject--so long as the content is relevant and concise. If you're just filling it with fluff to make yourself look more qualified or important, an employer is going to spot that right away. And that is an automatic reject.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM

8,681 posts, read 7,426,107 times
Unless you're in academia or research, where you have to show appointments and where you've been published, three pages is too long.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 AM

37,708 posts, read 11,673,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Is a 3 page resume too long?

Thoughts??
The only pages that a 3-pg resume is even remotely acceptable is within the field of education. Even then, I'd keep it to two pages at the most. If you are not applying to a job in education or a high level executive type position, the rule of thumb is 1-page. Don't give employers a reason to toss your resume.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:03 PM

233 posts, read 343,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The only pages that a 3-pg resume is even remotely acceptable is within the field of education. Even then, I'd keep it to two pages at the most. If you are not applying to a job in education or a high level executive type position, the rule of thumb is 1-page. Don't give employers a reason to toss your resume.

The position is in academic/athletic administration.

With the help of stretching the margins, changing the size of font from 12 point to 10 point and erasing some stuff, I finally got it two pages.

I really expanded on my work experience for the my last 3 positions, but for the other 4 which are similar positions, I just chose to highlights which I can further explain should I get an interview.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:38 PM

37,708 posts, read 11,673,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
The position is in academic/athletic administration.

With the help of stretching the margins, changing the size of font from 12 point to 10 point and erasing some stuff, I finally got it two pages.

I really expanded on my work experience for the my last 3 positions, but for the other 4 which are similar positions, I just chose to highlights which I can further explain should I get an interview.
I know it's a challenge but I would not go down to 10pts as it makes the resume more difficult to read. When doing your resume, a job seeker must always consider their audience especially if they are reading multiple resumes.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
10 pt is hard to read.

Academic administration is different than academics. The reason most of us, including myself, have said it's okay to have a three-page resume in academics is that most professors and instructors have numerous article publications, contributions, and speaking engagements, in addition to their full-time teaching work, each of which have to be cited separately, and those take up a lot of room. Tenured professors could easily have an entire page just of published articles. I've even seen more than that, for those who have been in the field a long time.

Administrative positions, regardless of the setting, are typically one page--executive summary, work experience, skills, education.

By the way, the pruning exercise to get your resume down to one page is good practice for the interview. You need to learn how to get your responses down to very quick answers. Interviews are typically less than an hour, and you've got a lot of ground to cover. You can't afford to ramble or get bogged down in minutia that demonstrate your relevant experience. It's good practice for networking too, where you need to be able to communicate your background in just a few seconds--any longer and you've lost the listener's attention, or irritated them with your long-windedness.

Last edited by kodaka; 10-17-2010 at 07:06 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 4,697,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If you are in academia or at the senior executive level, 3 pages is okay. For everyone else, it's too much.

One page should be sufficient until you reach about 10 years experience. Possibly a little sooner for some people. Then you can go up to two. When you run out of room on two pages, you need to start editing.

Remember, you should only be listing the MOST RELEVANT experience pertinent to the job you are applying for. For example, even if you've worked in the same field for 20 years, the work you did 20 years ago is probably not particularly relevant anymore. It's old. The knowledge or technology is obsolete. So list the recent work, not older work. You may be skilled at dozens of software programs but probably not all of them are relevant to every single job. Some companies may use some software, others use different programs. List the ones that are relevant, eliminate those that aren't. List two or three of your best accomplishments, eliminate those that pale by comparison. Academics should only list the name of the school and the degree awarded, not year, city, GPA, honors, etc. After getting your first professional job, you shouldn't be listing anything you did in college (except your degree of course).

For most employers, two pages isn't an automatic reject--so long as the content is relevant and concise. If you're just filling it with fluff to make yourself look more qualified or important, an employer is going to spot that right away. And that is an automatic reject.
To add to this, do not go back more than 10 years if over a certain age unless you have to in order to demonstrate something. Ageism is REAL. Also, if over a certain age do NOT put the dates of graduation.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:23 PM

19,081 posts, read 11,982,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattos_12 View Post
Basically no one cares if you have a cat called Cindy or if you played recorder at school, or indeed, if you really really like fruit cake.

Your CV should have basic education details to prove your not an idiot, two years of employment history, and some minor personal details. Anything more than a page is excessive, if nothing else it won't be read. If you had 300 CVs to read would you really go beyond scanning the first page?
In the US that's a resume, not a Curriculum vitae, which as others have noted is for academics and I'll throw in at least industry scientists.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM

317 posts, read 397,393 times
I had my resume professionally re-done. It went from 3 pages to 1 1/2 pages. It cost me a hundred bucks, but totally worth it. It also included cover letter. It looks nothing like I would have ever thought. They claim to get you results in 30 business days. The jury is still out on that, so we'll see what happens.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM

27,238 posts, read 26,298,625 times
I guess it depends on the job. I agree with most people here that anything over 1 page is really too much. Perhaps you should look into a "functional resume" format...which targets the resume to the job being sought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment