Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM

234 posts, read 592,788 times

Advertisements

Is a 3 page resume too long?

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 PM

486 posts, read 2,106,263 times
Yes, when you think about all the resumes a company will receive for a position, they don't want to spend a long time reviewing. You need to be a little creative and list the most important details about yourself. You don't have to list your very first job experience. Some people will have had several jobs in their life dating back to high school. Keep it fresh and don't use a cookie cutter resume. There are sites on line to give you ideas to make you stand out from the rest. You have to shine like a star these days to get noticed. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
In the old stamp and envelope days maybe. In the electronic keyword math days, maybe not.

It might be as simple as the most keywords wins in which case a longer resume would probably be beneficial. On the other hand, it might be percentage of keywords to a resume with a lot of common nouns could be harmful.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,966,295 times
I think it depends on the job and your history. I've read that in academia it's quite common for resumes to be longer. I'd google on it. There is some good info out there on this topic.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 PM

73 posts, read 288,171 times
I would say yes its too long. Think about when you see a question on citydata and it goes on and on forever, generally with no paragraph breaks...lol...its not generally one your going to read all of. I think its somewhat similar with resumes.

As a society we have very short attention spans, also people are pressed for time. I think you could find a way to consolidate all that experience into one page and leave off all the lines about your duties and just hilite major responsibilities and maybe industry software your familiar with

The interview is where you'll have a chance to expand. I agree its tough to get an interview with all the competition for jobs but I think a 3 page resume may be totally overlooked.

Also, with all the resumes comming in more a chance of pages getting seperated as well be it fax or emails printed

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 PM

421 posts, read 446,671 times
Default Cv

Basically no one cares if you have a cat called Cindy or if you played recorder at school, or indeed, if you really really like fruit cake.

Your CV should have basic education details to prove your not an idiot, two years of employment history, and some minor personal details. Anything more than a page is excessive, if nothing else it won't be read. If you had 300 CVs to read would you really go beyond scanning the first page?

Old 10-16-2010, 12:15 AM

234 posts, read 592,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebelsdotcom View Post
I would say yes its too long. Think about when you see a question on citydata and it goes on and on forever, generally with no paragraph breaks...lol...its not generally one your going to read all of. I think its somewhat similar with resumes.

As a society we have very short attention spans, also people are pressed for time. I think you could find a way to consolidate all that experience into one page and leave off all the lines about your duties and just hilite major responsibilities and maybe industry software your familiar with

The interview is where you'll have a chance to expand. I agree its tough to get an interview with all the competition for jobs but I think a 3 page resume may be totally overlooked.

Also, with all the resumes comming in more a chance of pages getting seperated as well be it fax or emails printed

My job experience is pretty much listed on pages 2 and 3. Page 1 has my education and qualifications listed and part of page 3 has my athletic accomplishments. The position that I am applying for is for an Athletic Director at a college.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:34 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,431,317 times
NO,in fact,i have 5 page,but it is all of my Experience..

Old 10-16-2010, 04:24 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,682,457 times
One page. Only.

Anything over one page is flotsam no one will plow through. Into the dumper it will go.

Keep it brief and to the point.

Attention spans are short these days. Think newspaper headlines, billboards, text messages. This is the current mindset of resume readers (and resume scanning software).

Give them the facts ma'am, and only the facts--be sure to include necessary keywords for the position--and then shut up.

Companies are not interested in you. They are interested in your pedigree which can usually be outlined for acceptance or rejection in a few nanoseconds.

Make it short and make every word count.

Last edited by azoria; 10-16-2010 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,596,143 times
One page-anything more than one page-goes to the trash-list your most current one or two jobs, education, and skills-that's it...do not put in objectives, or anything personal (hobbies etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search