Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:54 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times

Advertisements

How long should you stay on as a temp for a company hired through an agency before you bow out and look for another opportunity? This is assuming you are performing very well for the company, you have learned everything you can, and they will not hire you on directly as a full time salaried employee w/ benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How long should you stay on as a temp for a company hired through an agency before you bow out and look for another opportunity? This is assuming you are performing very well for the company, you have learned everything you can, and they will not hire you on directly as a full time salaried employee w/ benefits.

Well it depends. When you say move on are you going to tell the agency you want to quit? How long have you been there?

Most temp agencies frown on you if you leave a long term assignment before the company ends it. You can pretty much forget them using you again.

Was this presented as a temp to perm position?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:10 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Until they offer you a perm spot, you get an offer elsewhere for a perm position, or the assignment ends. Never quit unless there is a REALLY good reason to.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
It's a temp job where I can be released pretty much anytime...it is not a long term contracted assignment. The agency never said a full time position was going to be offered, but the company the agency hired me for does have a slew of salaried employees within my same department. I don't plan on resigning right now I'm just looking down the road...naturally noone wants to be a temp for an extended period of time. It's a waste of time once you have learned everything you can so there has to be some sort of goal or plan.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
It's a temp job where I can be released pretty much anytime...it is not a long term contracted assignment. The agency never said a full time position was going to be offered, but the company the agency hired me for does have a slew of salaried employees within my same department. I don't plan on resigning right now I'm just looking down the road...naturally noone wants to be a temp for an extended period of time. It's a waste of time once you have learned everything you can so there has to be some sort of goal or plan.

Well do they have any open positions you can apply for? Have you expressed any interest to the people you're working for about being full time?

Also does your agency charge a fee to a company to hire someone full time?

The problem with some temp agencies is they will charge up to 15% of the yearly salary in order to release you to a company. It is almost like you're an indentured servant.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
The company doesn't owe you anything and you don't owe them anything. I "temped" for the same company for almost 5 years. If a better opportunity comes along you should take it but in today's reality that may or may not happen.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
As everyone else answered until you get a perm position. I'd be looking the entire time you are a temp and the minute you get a perm position say good-bye. I'd try to give 2 weeks notice just in case I need them as a good reference in the future.

If they don't want you to leave they should have made you perm already. However, they are gambling that you won't be able to find a position too fast so what they save and benefits will make up for the training and recruitment costs when you eventually do bolt.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:55 PM

190 posts, read 471,276 times
I just left a temp job after a little under 6 months because i got hired perm elsewhere. Most companies understand, you have to do whats best for you. Ive given my 2 weeks, 1.5 left!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I sure wouldn't bow out at all in this economy but I would keep sending out resumes. I know it can be tough to interview when temping (and on an 8 to 5 schedule), but there are always "Dr appts" that come up.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 18,422 times
I'm in similar the same situation. Im a temp at this place n I absolutely love my job but I was told 90days and its been 5 months now im waiting for approval for what I have no idea because several outsiders have been hired for a different position. The position I hold is currently open and they actually need 3more people in other locations. I have trained and they cant seem to keep anyone in this position ever. they definitely don't get reliable people and it throws the day off when the office person doesn't show. I am beyond frustrated I have proved my determination and my work ethic yet I can still be let go at any moment without reason. I am always putting in apps for something permanent. I know how you feel trust me. Keep looking when you find a GOOD opportunity then go for it. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment