Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,050,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Amen to this, if you dwell to much on the negativity on the suck it will drive you mad, it will drive you into anger and intense depression.

Then there are other days in which I recall a little prespective. I remeber life is suppose to suck, it is suppose to be hard. You have to bloody embrace the challenge, grab life by the balls and pull hard. And say "god dammit if I am going to go down, if I am going to fail then you better believe I will go down swinging"
Isn't that the purpose of Anti Depressants such as Prozac and anti anxiety medication such as Klonopin or Ativan??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,671,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Who said anything about spending money? Go look for apprenticeship or learner opportunities. Work for 9 bucks an hour if you have to, but your getting paid to learn. That's the way the trades work. Used to be they had vocational classes in high school for students who we're not planning to go to college, but they closed those down and those students go on to flip burgers now. The schools saved some money by cutting these programs, but they lost future taxpayers, because career burger flippers don't earn enough to pay taxes to fund these schools. Great long term strategy!
my dad use to be a vocational highschool teacher! but they closed his school. great mistake because kids were learning things that got them nice jobs right after HS.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,598,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Isn't that the purpose of Anti Depressants such as Prozac and anti anxiety medication such as Klonopin or Ativan??

heh no idea, I have never taken any anti depressants or anti anxiety medications before.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,563,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
How exactly do you get in?? What is the point of spending thousands of dollars to retrain in xxxx trade and find you can't get an interview (let alone a job). Pardon me if I am cynical but I looked at many schools & training programs and felt like I was shopping for a used car with their shilling & cheerleading
While this post is 2 yrs old it still is happening as has been posted on other cites.

It would appear that most are trying to find work /or schooling in the same trades as millions of others,

None of the unemployed seem to be able to think out side the box, you don't need a coledge education ! , you don't need to pay thousands of dollars attending a trade school !, as I have posted time and time again, there is work out there that almost anyone can do , all over the country, and while it does take 3-4 hundred dollars to get into ,and the return is usually better than any entery level or even advanced .

What is it?, well it is Referbishing the plastic lenses on the newer auto's and Trucks. Even me at age 70 , and being retired , and fultime RV'ier , I can make Easily $200.00 a day when I stop at a campground for the night, Truck stops , mall parkiung lots , just look around and see the hundreads of cars out ther ewith clouded lights.

And when you only charge $25.00 a pair do do them almost anyone you approch will rather spend $25.00 then the hundereads it cost to replace them .,. DM e for the actual process or look up some of my post on this subject.

There is no reason for anyone to be complaining they can't find a job or they are bored with all the interviews and no jobs , just need to make your own .

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,716,952 times
I think not being able to find a job has a lot to do with where you live. If you live in a mid size city that has a college, it is more difficult to find some jobs; however trying to find a job in a smaller town in near impossible due to lack of business, etc.

Having working in drugstores, you might want to considering applying to CVS, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, etc. A lot of times, they're looking for cashiers to move up to Shift Managers at 30+ hours a week. If you're interested, they also give the opportunity to train cashiers to become pharmacy technicians.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,530,465 times
I like to start everyday with a positive attitude and tell my co-workers "Good morning, it's another beautiful day full of opportunity!" That way, I am sure to have at least one bright spot in the day because it's all downhill from there.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,050,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
Haha. I say that all the time! I do believe, however, and I may be wrong, that there is a rather large number of people in this society who don't have sucky lives. They have problems but the "blessings" outweigh the problems. I also don't believe that these people worked hard for this kind of life. It was just dealt to them. I'm not talking about inner city or Appalachia people. I'm talking about the average SUV driver, cell phone toter, Starbucks drinker, middle class person. It seems that all I ever hear about are people's victories rather than their problems. They may have temporary setbacks but everything is fine in the end. In fact, their problems lead to even BETTER opportunities! It sometimes amazes me just how cushy some people's lives are. Does anybody else know people like this?
Again it seems like for most people (especially younger people) that is the rule. If you have any type of real problem, people don't want toe around you and will refer to you as a freak, weird etc... People these days live in a world of hedonistic optimism where every want is put on a credit card regardless of income or ability to pay it off. What is sickening are the constant bleeding heart articles put out by CNN and the Huffington Post

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,495,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remote_Control View Post
Haha. I say that all the time! I do believe, however, and I may be wrong, that there is a rather large number of people in this society who don't have sucky lives. They have problems but the "blessings" outweigh the problems. I also don't believe that these people worked hard for this kind of life. It was just dealt to them. I'm not talking about inner city or Appalachia people. I'm talking about the average SUV driver, cell phone toter, Starbucks drinker, middle class person. It seems that all I ever hear about are people's victories rather than their problems. They may have temporary setbacks but everything is fine in the end. In fact, their problems lead to even BETTER opportunities! It sometimes amazes me just how cushy some people's lives are. Does anybody else know people like this?
You are horribly negative and sound miserable about everything. You really think things will ever turn around for you with this thinking?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,495,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
People do not even understand underemployment is a major problem. I have know people in their 20's and 30's underemployed for years. Even before the recession it was a real problem. College grad gets done with college and they are still working at Kmart for years after. Because the colleges flood the market year after year. The kid applies for jobs but has no luck. Now the only work history he has is retail nothing else. So you see people there 7 to 8 years. They worked there in college they kept the job because they had nowhere to go. Heck I know people who worked at Wal-mart high school college and after college they have been their 10 to 12 years.
If you are a college graduate and were under employed during the boom you were doing something very wrong. All I saw was over employment if anything.

If you have worked at Wal-Mart for 7-12 years after college you have failed and that has little to do with the job market. Recent graduates have had it rough, not ones that graduated before the bust.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:14 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,864,558 times
IMHO, the wise strategy now is to move to areas of low unemployment. Take Midland Texas. Plenty of jobs there going begging. Most of Texas is growing. I've been through this, living in an area of high unemployment and finding a job is almost impossible. Better to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment