Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
IMHO, the wise strategy now is to move to areas of low unemployment. Take Midland Texas. Plenty of jobs there going begging. Most of Texas is growing. I've been through this, living in an area of high unemployment and finding a job is almost impossible. Better to move.
Worked for me... It's been almost a year since I left Savannah, GA and it's 10% + unemployment rate on 5/17/11 for Seattle.

Savannah's metro area has a population of around 150k while Seattle metro is like 8 million.... so there has to be more work here right? At any rate, Seattle is a good fit for me. I've worked the last 18 years in industrial manufacturing and got the job here making airplane parts for Boeing.

Boeing has many billions of dollars worth of airplanes to build and I'm on pace to make $70k this year... a far cry from the $18k I made on GA's unemployment. This debt free single guy is sleeping well at night. The job security is solid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 AM

29,804 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Worked for me... It's been almost a year since I left Savannah, GA and it's 10% + unemployment rate on 5/17/11 for Seattle.

Savannah's metro area has a population of around 150k while Seattle metro is like 8 million.... so there has to be more work here right? At any rate, Seattle is a good fit for me. I've worked the last 18 years in industrial manufacturing and got the job here making airplane parts for Boeing.

Boeing has many billions of dollars worth of airplanes to build and I'm on pace to make $70k this year... a far cry from the $18k I made on GA's unemployment. This debt free single guy is sleeping well at night. The job security is solid...
Exactly. When I was laid off in Michigan, I didn't even bother focusing all of my attention on finding work in state from the beginning. I just started sending resumes, and didn't care where the potential employer was. I knew finding work in Michigan would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Worse yet, if you lucky enough to actually find something, you'll need at least another part time job to actually get by. Some states and cities just have it worse than others. Not that Chicago or Illinois in general is better than average, but there are places all around I could work at, and far fewer people with experience in my line of work. Now, if rents and real estate would just come down a bit more, I might really be sitting pretty!

Old 05-12-2012, 04:43 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Some states and cities just have it worse than others. Not that Chicago or Illinois in general is better than average, but there are places all around I could work at, and far fewer people with experience in my line of work. Now, if rents and real estate would just come down a bit more, I might really be sitting pretty!
That's why Seattle is a good fit for me... (and would be for you too) Boeing is everywhere out here with many places of operation. So is their suppliers... I've never seen so many machine shops in my life.

Real estate is like 3 times higher here than it was in Georgia, but I'm paying the same rent.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
So what's left, selling drugs, hit man, loan shark, pimping yourself, selling organs? I can go to Eastern Europe or China and do all that and probably make more money.
Guillotine construction.

When the bottom 95% revolts against the top 5% that shipped their jobs overseas and essentially hoarded all of the wealth produced by workers for themselves, there might be a large demand for people who know how to build guillotines.

(...I know some people don't have a sense of humor, but this post is intended in jest, so please don't freak out.)

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 09-11-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
At least this is what I keep hearing from informational interviews and the indeed forums. I want to work and don't want the government taking care of me. I am just starting to feel hopeless due to the bad economy. I honestly think if I have to stay on unemployment much longer I will be forced to see a counselor because I feel so hopeless. Living off unemployment is like being in a prison and there is no escape.

Anyhow, here is what I hear from everyone about different careers I have researched:

Physical therapy assisting: Everyone else is going into this field. It will soon be oversaturated and you won't find a job. Plus, you are petite and won't be able to lift heavy patients. (I exercise regularly.)

Special education: All the laid off teachers are getting their certificate in special education. There will soon be a glut. Don't even bother.

Surgical technologist: You can't get a job without experience. Don't even bother trying.

Lab technician: Oversaturated. More and more people want to go into this field. There will be no jobs for lab techs in the future.

Respiratory therapy: GLUTTED. No use getting a degree in this one either. It used to be in demand but no jobs anymore.

Computer security, health information technology: Avoid any computer field. All these jobs are going to be outsourced.

Cosmetology, personal trainer: Avoid these two. Even if you start your own business, no one will come because of the bad economy.

Sonography: Glutted. You can't get a job without experience.

Occupational therapy assisting: No jobs here.

Even with survival jobs, I have heard:

Retail: Can't get a job with a B.S. degree. Don't even bother if you have a degree.

Waitress: Work is hell. You have to work 70-80 hours a week to make ends meet. Plus, restaurants are not hiring. (70-80 hours a week actually doesn't sound bad to me right now after being on unemployment.)
I do think some of these health careers are glutted as you said. I've heard from resp therapy students in another state they are beyond saturated. Same with RN's. New grads have to move sometimes or do nights if that at all. The jobs are limited for them and other RN's. Depends on your skill sets, experience and educ., too, ADN/BSN/MSN. Occup therapy, nutritionist, good job if you can find one. Pt's need clinical doctorate.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
IMHO, the wise strategy now is to move to areas of low unemployment. Take Midland Texas. Plenty of jobs there going begging. Most of Texas is growing. I've been through this, living in an area of high unemployment and finding a job is almost impossible. Better to move.
It depends on one's field and skills. If I were looking for a new job in my field, there would be zero opportunities for me in a place like Midland, TX.

Everyone's situation is unique - there is no one-size-fits-all strategy for everybody.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Engineer and geologist jobs cant be filled these days and pay great with benefits only the fed gov offers its employees and then some. Why are these jobs going unfilled? Not enough Petroleum/Chemical Engineering and Geologist graduates. If one has some math and science aptitude and a willingness to study not party in college and willing to work hard, this can be a great career opportunity. Houston is the US work location but the globe is where one might work in this business. Highly challenging technically and leading edge ideas abound. But not enough plan ahead and major in these challenging fields to get this type job.

Any career that pays great takes work and planning and dedication as well as some aptitude for the work.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I can refinish the lenses on my car for eight bucks.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Engineer and geologist jobs cant be filled these days and pay great with benefits only the fed gov offers its employees and then some. Why are these jobs going unfilled? Not enough Petroleum/Chemical Engineering and Geologist graduates. If one has some math and science aptitude and a willingness to study not party in college and willing to work hard, this can be a great career opportunity. Houston is the US work location but the globe is where one might work in this business. Highly challenging technically and leading edge ideas abound. But not enough plan ahead and major in these challenging fields to get this type job.

Any career that pays great takes work and planning and dedication as well as some aptitude for the work.
Sure that is nice if one is college age but many people who are unemployed are in their 40's or older so even if they went back to school to retrain the above fields, they won't find it any easier to get a job (the dreaded excuse of "lack of experience")

Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OK. So everybody who didn't go to an Ivy League school and majored in liberal arts is going to starve on the street making 8 bucks an hour.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Re-read this post in 20 years when your friends are well into their careers and you will see how stupid this post is.

The majority of my high school and college friends did liberal arts degrees and most of them are doing fine in a variety of jobs. Own houses and have kids, etc, etc.
You are right over the long haul, and I admit that I am wrong - over the long haul. However, these are not "long haul" times. Since the late 90s, when offshoring reached critical mass, we are living in times of economic crisis. Half the people in the country earn less than $500/week - even now, when the PTB tout "the recovery". 46 million people receive food stamps. There are not enough jobs for people who need to work, and want to work. We are living in the midst of an economic Armageddon, only we've been in it so long now that it feels like normal.

If your friends caught the end of the last wave of relative prosperity, you are right - they very well could have graduated with lib arts, caught some brass ring and worked their way up. In the 90s still, there were "management trainee" positions, apprenticeships of sorts for people who had broad knowledge but no specific vocational skillz. HOWEVER - ALL OF THE ENTRY LEVEL JOBS HAVE NOW BEEN OFFSHORED. It took less than a generation. The difference really began being felt during the recession of 2000, and has gotten worse since, from the standpoint of entry level jobs. For some states in the Northeast, there has been ZERO job growth since 1990!

Comparing a person who had their start in the 90s or before. with a person who had his start during this extended period of no growth, is like comparing apples to oranges, IMHO. The kids today simply do not have the opportunities that they might have had even fifteen years ago.

So, time will tell. You may be right that I'll re-read my post in the future and hide my head in shame for being so wrong. I very much hope I am wrong, and I will be glad of it if I am. It simply does not appear that general knowledge these days is worth much - and let's face it, that is the entry-level space. If the PTB can get it for $3/hour vs. our $15/hour ($30K used to be BA wages), they will choose $3/hour.

Good day to you as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment