U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 2,371,359 times

Advertisements

At least this is what I keep hearing from informational interviews and the indeed forums. I want to work and don't want the government taking care of me. I am just starting to feel hopeless due to the bad economy. I honestly think if I have to stay on unemployment much longer I will be forced to see a counselor because I feel so hopeless. Living off unemployment is like being in a prison and there is no escape.

Anyhow, here is what I hear from everyone about different careers I have researched:

Physical therapy assisting: Everyone else is going into this field. It will soon be oversaturated and you won't find a job. Plus, you are petite and won't be able to lift heavy patients. (I exercise regularly.)

Special education: All the laid off teachers are getting their certificate in special education. There will soon be a glut. Don't even bother.

Surgical technologist: You can't get a job without experience. Don't even bother trying.

Lab technician: Oversaturated. More and more people want to go into this field. There will be no jobs for lab techs in the future.

Respiratory therapy: GLUTTED. No use getting a degree in this one either. It used to be in demand but no jobs anymore.

Computer security, health information technology: Avoid any computer field. All these jobs are going to be outsourced.

Cosmetology, personal trainer: Avoid these two. Even if you start your own business, no one will come because of the bad economy.

Sonography: Glutted. You can't get a job without experience.

Occupational therapy assisting: No jobs here.

Even with survival jobs, I have heard:

Retail: Can't get a job with a B.S. degree. Don't even bother if you have a degree.

Waitress: Work is hell. You have to work 70-80 hours a week to make ends meet. Plus, restaurants are not hiring. (70-80 hours a week actually doesn't sound bad to me right now after being on unemployment.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 10:33 PM

379 posts, read 715,340 times
Don't worry, you're not the only one who sees the larger picture in this mess.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,309,702 times
So what's left, selling drugs, hit man, loan shark, pimping yourself, selling organs? I can go to Eastern Europe or China and do all that and probably make more money.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:41 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,867,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
At least this is what I keep hearing from informational interviews and the indeed forums. I want to work and don't want the government taking care of me. I am just starting to feel hopeless due to the bad economy. I honestly think if I have to stay on unemployment much longer I will be forced to see a counselor because I feel so hopeless. Living off unemployment is like being in a prison and there is no escape.

Anyhow, here is what I hear from everyone about different careers I have researched:

Physical therapy assisting: Everyone else is going into this field. It will soon be oversaturated and you won't find a job. Plus, you are petite and won't be able to lift heavy patients. (I exercise regularly.)

Special education: All the laid off teachers are getting their certificate in special education. There will soon be a glut. Don't even bother.

Surgical technologist: You can't get a job without experience. Don't even bother trying.

Lab technician: Oversaturated. More and more people want to go into this field. There will be no jobs for lab techs in the future.

Respiratory therapy: GLUTTED. No use getting a degree in this one either. It used to be in demand but no jobs anymore.

Computer security, health information technology: Avoid any computer field. All these jobs are going to be outsourced.

Cosmetology, personal trainer: Avoid these two. Even if you start your own business, no one will come because of the bad economy.

Retail: Can't get a job with a B.S. degree. Don't even bother if you have a degree.

Waitress: Work is hell. You have to work 70-80 hours a week to make ends meet. Plus, restaurants are not hiring. (70-80 hours a week actually doesn't sound bad to me right now after being on unemployment.)
How about a motivational speaker?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:43 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,309,702 times
Oops, I forgot: Corrections, probation and U.S. Marshall bounty hunters/law enforcement is the other end of it. When there are no legit jobs, people have to turn to a life of crime to survive. Managing criminals is the next big thing? Wow...that's really sci-fi.
Gladiator blood sports? Live with reality shows?

Old 10-18-2010, 10:47 PM

14,851 posts, read 17,990,785 times
Quote:

Maybe where you live. But move out into rural America and you will find that there are many jobs available in ALL these fields (granted, they are not going to be as high-paying as they would be in the big-city).

When I was a waitress (and a lousy one, at that), I brought home $200 a night in my pocket in tips. You do work your butt off (literally!) but for a young person with lots of energy, it's a GREAT job.

20ryrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 PM

21,726 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Default You have a couple of choices. Either put some effort into getting your head in better place or buy a non-round trip to..

... Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the U.S. states of Oregon and Washington. I am sort of teasing, but if you don't get your head into something that will help you rationally address your personal wants /needs or you will soon be thinking of a way to off yourself

For perspective you might want to just scroll around Monster or CareerBuilder. Lots of legit jobs. Many will NEVER be outsourced. Some are even reasonably good paying.

You got to put some effort into laughing about things:

Scanners Job in Marlborough 01752, Massachusetts US (http://jobview.monster.com/Scanners-Job-Marlborough-MA-US-91307232.aspx - broken link)

I wonder how "infrequently" you would need to move your 30 lbs of paperclips and staples?

Quote:

Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM

21,140 posts, read 16,734,541 times
OP, Can give examples of what you have tried? What kind of work have you tried to create?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 AM

37,788 posts, read 12,134,557 times
Look ... I understand that it is frustrating out there but I'm really getting fed up with this negativity! I'm in a profession that has been over-saturated way before the economy tanked and, as you can imagine, there are even less opportunities available now in my field. Yet, even though I am working multiple part-time jobs within my field, I have yet to experience a time when I was completely unemployed for more than 1 month for the past decade. I know that part of the reason why I haven't suffered as much is because I refuse to give into despair but to try and maintain a positive outlook throughout my job search for a full-time position. Of course, I give God the credit for keeping me employed throughout the past few years. I could not have done it without Him.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:16 AM

8,270 posts, read 6,155,489 times
I'd suggest you not believe all the fear mongering about gluts or outsourcing, pick something that interest you, and try your best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment