U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM

226 posts, read 304,935 times
Default DirectTV, DISH Network technicians - good job?

A friend of mine lost his job a few months ago. He worked in construction and cant find anything.

I have seen many listings for technicians for DirectTV, DISH, Comcast and the like.

Does anyone know the inside scoop with this sort of job?

Apparently one would train for a month or so and then get a company vehicle and go on appointments all day -- installing and fixing residential cable.

It doesnt sound bad at all -- provided one could actually make a decent living.

any knowledge on this? thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 AM

20,519 posts, read 22,551,554 times
I'm assuming that, as here, the satellite/cable providers in your area are independent contractors authorized and accredited by the companies so, as with any company, some are very good employers and some aren't so good. On the plus side, the opportunity to learn a new skill is priceless and with the satellite/cable companies all competing with each other I'd imagine the job opportunities are pretty good.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,538,736 times
I have a friend who used to do this. He worked VERY long hours crawling around on the roof, in the basement, and in the attic. He worked many national holidays, many weekends. The money was good, but they burned him out pretty fast.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 AM

8,266 posts, read 9,387,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I have a friend who used to do this. He worked VERY long hours crawling around on the roof, in the basement, and in the attic. He worked many national holidays, many weekends. The money was good, but they burned him out pretty fast.
Yep.....its a tough job & if you're slow at installing the dish, cables & equipment you wont last long. You also sometimes gotta deal with some genuine asswipes (homeowners, tenants) & mean dogs.

Last edited by steel7; 10-20-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM

2,176 posts, read 4,229,441 times
Satellite Installer Jobs Forum - Show me the money... | Indeed.com has some insights.

An average contractor pays $50 for the dish and $25 for each additional room. Gas, vehicle, install parts and cable is on you. You also need a cell phone and will burn a lot of minutes to talk to the satellite provider and your boss. Many report $700 for a 60 hour week before your personal expenses. For the effort, might as well apply to your local Union to become an electrician.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 21,537 times
Not every company requires you to provide your own parts, cable and the like. I work for a contractor for dish network and they provide everything besides your tools. And I clear 800-1200 dollars a week bring home pay. Its not a bad way to make a living. I work about 10 hours per day on average, and only 5 days a week. When you first start at it yes you will be slow, and you'll get hung up on jobs for longer then you should. But once you've been into it for a few months it will get nice. If it hasn't gotten nice for you after 4 months I'de say find something else cause its not for you.

Last edited by dnstechnician; 03-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Too add an idea of hours

Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM

543 posts, read 1,663,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnstechnician View Post
Not every company requires you to provide your own parts, cable and the like. I work for a contractor for dish network and they provide everything besides your tools. And I clear 800-1200 dollars a week bring home pay. Its not a bad way to make a living. I work about 10 hours per day on average, and only 5 days a week. When you first start at it yes you will be slow, and you'll get hung up on jobs for longer then you should. But once you've been into it for a few months it will get nice. If it hasn't gotten nice for you after 4 months I'de say find something else cause its not for you.
May I ask how much you earn? You don't have to provide your own van and gas? How do you find this job?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:01 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,212,539 times
Cable Co's will supply you with everthing but generally the pay is all over the place. I installed Comcast in Boston and averaged about $1200/wk 6 days, Moved to Richmond, VA did MORE work and made about $600-700/wk 6 days. Cost of living doesn't affect it that much.

The Satellite scam is you pay for everything, make an ok pay check, then they take all your money back. DirecTV will CHARGE you if your late to a job, but if you rush a job and miss something they will CHARGE YOU for that. Its a vicious cycle. Its set up to screw the tech out of as much money as possible until you quit and then the next victim. Also the ones that will "help you" buy selling the materials you need at above retail lock you in because you wind up paying out more than you make so your always in debt to them. Stay away if possible. There are a few descent companies left but it's extremely rare. I installed Cable / Satellite for over 10yrs and although I loved the work itself It's just not worth it. It's a trap thats VERY hard to get out of. Which is why you will ALWAYS see ads hiring installers. If you notice, the DirecTV Contracting companies usually have "NOW HIRING" permanently lettered on the vans......thats your first clue!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

snatale1, how many dollars per hour did it turn out to be after you were charged for rushing and being late and other expenses connected with the work?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansoku View Post
snatale1, how many dollars per hour did it turn out to be after you were charged for rushing and being late and other expenses connected with the work?
bump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment