Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 AM

516 posts, read 1,349,900 times

Advertisements

I just landed a part time job at night and on weekends. Do I have to let my full time employer know this?

I'm mostly keep to myself at work and don't talk about my personal life. Just wondering if this is any of their business.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 09:13 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
I don't see why it would be any of their business how many jobs you have outside the time that you devote to them. Some places don't like it when employees have other jobs on the side, but that's life. Some jobs don't pay enough full time, so people seek additional employment. I would definitely not reveal that you have another job on the side. It's your life, your personal business, and really, we should stop deifying these employers and giving them sooo much control over our lives. They control us within the time that we work for them: the hours that they pay us for. Evenings and weekends are your own time. If you were going to school or working on starting your own business on your own time, would you "let your employer know?" I wouldn't. That's almost like asking for approval. Some corporate people will argue and say that if one has a high profile job, then what one does outside is limited by that job. There was one case in New York in which a corporate exec had a sex industry business on the side and she was plastered all over the Internet. Of course, she lost her day job - she was stupid. She should have kept it low key or done that type of business in a way that it wouldn't impact her day job.That's an extreme example though.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Does your full time employer provide a policy manual? If so, look to see if it addresses this.

Is your part time job in the same field as your full time job? If so, did you sign a non-compete?

Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I doubt your employer cares if you have a part-time job....but there are certain part-time jobs that your full-time employer might have concerns about.

Years ago, I was a police officer, and there were places we weren't allowed to moonlight at. So check the manual or ask.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Does your full time employer provide a policy manual? If so, look to see if it addresses this.

Is your part time job in the same field as your full time job? If so, did you sign a non-compete?
No, my employer does not have a policy manual. I did sign an agreement, it was simple and just gave my starting salary and that either party shall give 2 weeks notice for termination. And that's it.

My old employer wouldn't allow me to work for anybody else. That was a very detailed agreement and that included a non-compete clause also. I had no reason to get a part time job with them, they paid me well, not like this lousy job.

Thank you.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
I don't see why it would be any of their business how many jobs you have outside the time that you devote to them. Some places don't like it when employees have other jobs on the side, but that's life. Some jobs don't pay enough full time, so people seek additional employment. I would definitely not reveal that you have another job on the side. It's your life, your personal business, and really, we should stop deifying these employers and giving them sooo much control over our lives. They control us within the time that we work for them: the hours that they pay us for. Evenings and weekends are your own time. If you were going to school or working on starting your own business on your own time, would you "let your employer know?" I wouldn't. That's almost like asking for approval. Some corporate people will argue and say that if one has a high profile job, then what one does outside is limited by that job. There was one case in New York in which a corporate exec had a sex industry business on the side and she was plastered all over the Internet. Of course, she lost her day job - she was stupid. She should have kept it low key or done that type of business in a way that it wouldn't impact her day job.That's an extreme example though.
Thank you

As of now, I'm not going to say anything to them. The part-time job is at a mall working retail, totally different field. My full time job is working for a software development firm in an office.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I doubt your employer cares if you have a part-time job....but there are certain part-time jobs that your full-time employer might have concerns about.

Years ago, I was a police officer, and there were places we weren't allowed to moonlight at. So check the manual or ask.
I think I don't have to tell them on a legal standpoint. But these people I work for are from another culture. I believe they have OCD. I'm not kidding either. I don't want them to find out and find an excuse to get rid of me. Unfortunatlly I still need my full time job for now until I find another job that pays more. Thay's why I had to find a part time job.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Wendy, you sound like you've got it together. Unless somebody from your job goes to that mall, they probably won't find out.An even if they do, it's a free country, you didn't sign a non-compete agreement, and you're "not plastered all over the Internet" , what is the worst they can do? Fire you? You would qualify for unemployment, based on all this info you have posted. Of course, you can't use them as a reference if you don't want them to know.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Wendy, you sound like you've got it together. Unless somebody from your job goes to that mall, they probably won't find out.An even if they do, it's a free country, you didn't sign a non-compete agreement, and you're "not plastered all over the Internet" , what is the worst they can do? Fire you? You would qualify for unemployment, based on all this info you have posted. Of course, you can't use them as a reference if you don't want them to know.
Thank you, I'm trying to keep it together

I don't want to lose my full time job, and be unemployed again. I was one of the long term unemployed and collected all 99 weeks. The salary I make is half of what I used to get and unemployment will be like nothing. I had to take this job at the time in the beginning of April. That was the only offer I got and was happy to get it. I got lucky or I would have had nothing. Being unemployed left alot of scars that I'm trying to heal. I don't want to re-open those wounds again.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:19 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
Unless you signed something that prevents you from doing it or requiring that you disclose it you should be fine.

If, however, you are working for a competitor or something that may harm/take advantage of your primary employer you may want look into this and see if other provisions/limitations may apply and in that case you may have to address this with the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment