U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,813,891 times

Advertisements

How do you deal with this stuff??

Right now I am working in the most hostile, unfriendly office I have ever worked in, and I have worked in a quite a few places.

There are a few girls in particular who are making this office a very uncomfortable environment. It's like high school all over again, where there's whispering and just a lot of crap.

I am just not cut out for this. I know everywhere you work you can deal with this stuff but this is the first place where it's REALLY bothering me. It's hard to ignore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

219 posts, read 485,197 times
Women co-workers/friends/etc. who can't control their estrogen-driven, primal instincts are the absolute worst.

Sadly, there's no easy way to deal with stupidity. And, make no mistake, that's all these women are. Focus on your job and try to drown out their teenage-high-school-drama-queen antics. They will likely always be retarded. Fortunately, you have the choice in not joining them at their level.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:35 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,813,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
Women co-workers/friends/etc. who can't control their estrogen-driven, primal instincts are the absolute worst.

Sadly, there's no easy way to deal with stupidity. And, make no mistake, that's all these women are. Focus on your job and try to drown out their teenage-high-school-drama-queen antics. They will likely always be retarded. Fortunately, you have the choice in not joining them at their level.
yep, I totally agree. I try really hard to not play into the nonsense, but it's such a toxic environment. I am just sticking it out to the end of the year (for my bonus) and then back to active job searching again.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,285,586 times
Usually it's jealous people who have nothing better in their lives than to start crap with others. I see it on the board here all the time, as well as in other forums. Cranky people who have no future who want to drag down others and stir up ****.

Yes, usually it's women. Some of them think they are witty or clever but they are just bullies.

At work, try to ignore them or look for a less hostile environment. Sadly these losers have no goodness in them. Focus on your own innate goodness. Be an example by NOT gossiping or running others down.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM

926 posts, read 1,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Right now I am working in the most hostile, unfriendly office I have ever worked in, and I have worked in a quite a few places.

There are a few girls in particular who are making this office a very uncomfortable environment.
I'm dying to know...what do they do to make you feel uncomfortable?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:50 PM

219 posts, read 485,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
yep, I totally agree. I try really hard to not play into the nonsense, but it's such a toxic environment. I am just sticking it out to the end of the year (for my bonus) and then back to active job searching again.
That sounds like a good strategy. Your situation reminds me of that scene from "Mean Girls", where they show the girls hissing at each other like a bunch of raging lionesses. That's probably how stupid your co-workers look.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:17 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,667,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svatos View Post
That's why many of them never get promoted, get raises or bonuses. Most of these types are not serious management material. If they ever do get to the management/C-level, they don't last long. Law schools are overloaded with women but how many of them become partners or open their place? Women are the biggest obstacle to their own success, and these behaviors are the primary reason. I have seen this in law offices, non-profit organizations and social work. They will always stay in pink collar jobs, if they behave like that. Those that become bosses are hated time and time again, and they really usurp their position, especially over other females. The males they seem to treat differently. If I have 2 job offers at the same time, I usually pick the male boss any day.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Women have a tendency to turn on you like a snake if they decide they don't like something, or do the Jeckyll and Hyde thing when the time of the month/menopause hits. They take liberties with other women that often they will not take with men.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 PM

21 posts, read 71,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Women have a tendency to turn on you like a snake if they decide they don't like something, or do the Jeckyll and Hyde thing when the time of the month/menopause hits. They take liberties with other women that often they will not take with men.
Yes, I've realized that women tend to have a difficult time controlling their emotions in the workplace. I've seen everything from crying to outrageous outbursts. Just recently, the VP (woman) of my employer called me up and chewed me out over an issue before she had all the facts. It wasn't until she received an email from our client that she was given all the details that she SHOULD HAVE gathered before calling me. Nonetheless, she was absolutely wrong on the issue.

Now, to be fair, men can have difficult personalities as well. But from what I've gathered so far, they typically are more able to keep their emotions and testosterone in check.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

As a woman, the best way to succeed at whatever you want is to act like a man in a woman's body, not fraternize (LOL) with other females, and just focus on the work. Don't socialize too much, tell anybody your life story or problems, or seek approval in any way. The real people, be they female or male, will recognize you for your work if they are smart. If not, start looking for another job, very quietly and diplomatically. You have to be unemotional and not play the "woman" card when it suits you. You can't use your husband, kids or PMS as an excuse to not do work or get out of work you don't like. You have to "be a man" and just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment