Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can't imagine what fake goals are comprised of. What kind of job titles to these folk hold and does anyone have a clue about income?
I would say a "fake goal" is one that if obtained does not get you a raise or bonus at the end of the year. Why require employees to set "goals" if they are not being compensated for them. People are paid to do the work at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Fair enough... just like I have no desire to work for a lower compensation.
Not really clear on if this is a dig at me or not as I didn't mention my compensation in my post at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,457 times
Personally I'm not a total slacker because A. I have a work ethic to a point but also because I dont like when others slack and leave me to clean up their mess.

That said its frustrating in this day and age. Employers have no loyalty to you like in the past companies had where you could work for a company for your entire career.

As soon as it benefits the company to kick you to the curb they will. Because of this I refuse to work 24 hours a day, miss out on time with family and friends so a meaningless TPS report gets done on time, etc.

I guess I'm kind of a slakcer in the sense that my personal life takes an equal priority to work and I refuse to change that. I just see it as a job is a contract between you adn the employer. Just as you have to uphold your end they must also theirs which means at the end of the day I go home and dont do anything else.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,620 times
I "work" from 8 to 5. If it only takes 1 hour that day to get my job done, then so be it. I get paid the same regardless. I have to stay until 5 regardless. However, I do believe the door swings both ways to a point. If I have to stay late once in a while to get something out it is no biggie. I answer my work cell at night and check work emails periodically even on weekends.

I have to actually beg to get addiitonal work. They think I am super busy all the time. A lot depends on the person too. Some people work smarter, others just have the experience to work a companies system better.

I believe a person is only slacking if they are truly slowing the team down by their lack of effort. Chatting at the water cooler, long lunches etc don't mean anything if they get their job done.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:03 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
I "work" from 8 to 5. If it only takes 1 hour that day to get my job done, then so be it. I get paid the same regardless. I have to stay until 5 regardless. However, I do believe the door swings both ways to a point. If I have to stay late once in a while to get something out it is no biggie. I answer my work cell at night and check work emails periodically even on weekends.

I have to actually beg to get addiitonal work. They think I am super busy all the time. A lot depends on the person too. Some people work smarter, others just have the experience to work a companies system better.

I believe a person is only slacking if they are truly slowing the team down by their lack of effort. Chatting at the water cooler, long lunches etc don't mean anything if they get their job done.

I get paid for my TIME, not for performing a task at work. It is up to management to get their money's worth.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Not really clear on if this is a dig at me or not as I didn't mention my compensation in my post at all.
Nope... just pointing out that everyone has different desires and reasons in relation to their job.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I would say a "fake goal" is one that if obtained does not get you a raise or bonus at the end of the year. Why require employees to set "goals" if they are not being compensated for them. People are paid to do the work at hand.
We have goals and they don't always lead to a promotion. We always get raises and bonuses, tho. But, the goals/objectives include day-to-day routine work as well as exploratory work, trainings/seminars, presenting, and all that crapola. It's used to measure performance through out the year.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Another reason management may want you to set "goals" is to provide them with a lever to remove you for performance. If they can find one goal not met, maybe they can produce a safe legal argument for your removal. It's not that easy to get rid of someone but there are a few absolutes: time card fraud, theft, security violations. Even drugs, drinking or violence might not be a slam dunk for an employer. They might be vulnerable in a lawsuit from an employee who could claim he wasn't given substance abuse or anger management counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment