Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate your current job?
1 - Each minute here is like 1000 years in the lowest level of He11!!! 4 8.33%
2 - Dont like it at all 6 12.50%
3 - Not really my thing 2 4.17%
4 - Meh, its a job 4 8.33%
5 - Its a ok job 15 31.25%
6 - I likie this job alot 14 29.17%
7 - Best Job EVER, I would pay to work here! 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 06:38 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times

Advertisements

and, based on the same scale, what is the highest rated job you ever had?

If your not working, rate your last job

best job i EVER had i would rate a 5. was just thinking about that, and thats kinda depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Don't like it.

I don't hate doing it so much as I hate the fact I get no benefits at all and get paid like a janitor after working my butt off for a MS in Chemistry.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,372,776 times
My last job was absolutely WONDERFUL and my Director/Supervisor was a great guy! Very good, but not great salary. Had my own office, computer and phone. Lot of computer/data entry work in Purchasing and Inventory Control. Was on my own when Director/Supervisor was at a meeting, on vacation, etc.

Wife has a nice job now in the banking industry........with some absolutely great bene's and only 5 miles (door-to-door) from our apt.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,644,236 times
I like the people I work with ( mostly military) but don't like the pay. I took a paycut because I was out of work at the time due to a lay off and HAD to get something and that "something" turned into nearly four years LOL

My end is near though, this job goes away in March and I'll be on UC again... grrrr... been looking and sad to say, its going to be more advantageous for me to be on unemployment and go back to school vs working part time (which is a LOT of availability) or working a full time and taking yet another paycut PLUS I just figured out since my commute jumped to an hour (sometimes longer) all of the extra expenses I incur will put about $300 a mth extra in my pocket every month by NOT working and being on UC and just staying home. Sad but true.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm at a 5.5. I like what I do, but this place drives me nuts on a regular basis.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
I don't generally like working (having to be somewhere for X amount of time). But, with that not being a consideration since most of us have to work, I voted 6. Since I'm limited in my research endeavors, which have to fall within the scope of my dept., I couldn't give it a 6.5. The pay is pretty good, but of course I'd like more. I doubt that will ever change, which surprises me now. I thought, while in college, that I'd be happy as a clam with my current salary. To be clear, I'm not complaining. Just noting the annoying 'wanting more' character flaw I have.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I'm a 5.5. I like what I do. I just don't care for the industry in which I work.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM

15 posts, read 42,837 times
I rated it a 2 - the pay is terrible as it is just a menial, part-time job so I can have money in my bank account to pay off loans, the benefits are verging on non-existant, the uniforms look awful on almost everybody and are incredibly limited in what can be worn (to the point of nitpicking about belt and shoe color), the hours are completely unpredictable to the point that I don't even know how many hours I'll be working as there is no regular schedule, plus they tend to not let new employees work many hours a week for months, and although some of the other employees are nice enough people, some of the management is completely hypocritical and uncommunicative. I'm planning sticking it out until I find a better job, but I can't wait to get out.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
I actually lucked out in the day job realm. I'm working while going to school (need some more credentials to do the dream job I did in England, grrrr) and my boss is incredibly flexible, I make enough to get away with working part time and still pay all my bills, and it only takes five minutes to get to class or go home. Yay! The work itself is mediocre- it's a desk job with a fairly large customer service component, but most of our clients are pleasant and I love my office manager (who is pretty much the only other person in the office most of the time). During the summer, I get to make my own hours and take vacations when I want. If I need more money I can work overtime and if I have a lot of work from school, I can work less. I also did this job part time while freelancing in theater and it was perfect. I'm always willing to work overtime (and get paid for it) when we're in a crunch, so my boss is very generous about my hours, raises and bonuses.

I don't want to do this job forever, but it's about as awesome as a day job can get.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Office worker here.
No matter what you do, from filing to accounting analysis, after a while it is all the same.
Totally do it with no feeling what so ever, listen to music, drink coffee, surf the net.

Yup, the bosses here are nice, never give many holidays off, it's very close to home, I make the most money I ever did, and do the least amount of work.

So yes, this will work until it is time for me to retire.
Plus all the workers here get along really well, so it is kinda like a home away from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment