Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Personal Opinion View Post
I went to a job hunting seminar and the woman who was running the event had a short very sharp professional bob haircut. It looked very polished and professional.

She told the audience of women that if you want to be taken seriously in a serious job you need to cut your hair off your shoulders to the chin. She said a bob style is the peference for a professional career woman.

I agree somewhat but of course it depends on the job. She was talking about women who want to be taken seriously in a very formal corporate position in a very professional highly respected company.

Would you consider cutting your hair short for a corporate job? Do you think you would be taken more seriously if you had a short bob vs longer hair? What is the link between shorter hair and respect for career women?
No, and no to the questions, and I'm not sure about the link. Clean and neat, regardless of length, is what matters. I work for a highly respected global company. I'm taken seriously (at work at least lol) and I'm a professional. My hair is getting past my shoulders again. There are a number of women with short hair at my job, but those are cute pixie cuts. No bobs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
I went to a job hunting seminar and the woman who was running the event had a short very sharp professional bob haircut. It looked very polished and professional.

She told the audience of women that if you want to be taken seriously in a serious job you need to cut your hair off your shoulders to the chin. She said a bob style is the peference for a professional career woman.

I agree somewhat but of course it depends on the job. She was talking about women who want to be taken seriously in a very formal corporate position in a very professional highly respected company.

Would you consider cutting your hair short for a corporate job? Do you think you would be taken more seriously if you had a short bob vs longer hair? What is the link between shorter hair and respect for career women?
Ridiculous post. Must be Weekend traveler.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
So my hair is a variation of a bob. Partly because my hair looks stringy when it gets long.

However, I think what she means is that having a relevant hairstyle. We have women executives with all sorts of hair styles-- although most are shorter though many women have hair touching their shoulders or just below.

I think when you get into some long hair styles you can look very very very dated. I.e. the Pentecostal poof, the french braid with a poof where you look like you walked out of an episode of Big Love. Or a 70s, Crystal Gale like part in the middle with long stringy hair.

Those hairstyles are not relevant now although they could be someone's religious or cultural preference, but I think at that point you would face some biases in the workplace.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Ridiculous post. Must be Weekend traveler.
Ding ding ding - and we have a winner

Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,405 times
When I walk in the Wall Street area where there are thousands of high level executives and attorneys I can see that shorter hair is quite popular with the higher level well paid professional women. Why is this true if there is not any rule that woman with shorter hair do better professionally?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,256 times
Quote:
When I walk in the Wall Street area where there are thousands of high level executives and attorneys I can see that shorter hair is quite popular with the higher level well paid professional women. Why is this true if there is not any rule that woman with shorter hair do better professionally?
Maybe they don't have enough time to style their hair so they keep it short- that has nothing to do with their ability to be taken seriously, just the amount of time they put into their looks. I know a LOT of professional women who are taken seriously and have all sorts of hairstyles. The trick is to have a hairstyle that suits you, and I know a few professional women who would look atrocious with a bob.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Well, that's why they say that opinions are like *****h0les because everybody has one.

It would make me crazy to have hair in my face. I can't stand it. So I pull mine back into a ponytail The only other hairstyle I would even consider would be a loose curly look that I could pull back off my face with combs. But I still prefer the ponytail.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM

15 posts, read 42,819 times
I would look beyond terrible with a bob. I'm not fat, so that's not even a huge issue. It's about face shape and hair type. I have this annoyingly curly hair that is stuck between be super curly and being wavy, and it is also excessively thick. My face is the wrong shape, as well. The best thing you can do is to get a hair cut that frames your face properly and, as others have said, maintain it and keep it well-groomed.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Even if this idiotic advice were good, it doesn't address the real problem of lack of jobs. Economic growth and improved standard of living doesn't happen just because everyone looks the same at job interviews. That would make for a boring society. Economic growth and improved standard of living happens when people are AT work earning a paycheck, regardless of hairstyle.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I don't have the money to maintain a sharp, short haircut. A bob needs ongoing maintainance to look good and not messy. I agree, a short cut can look professional..but I don't think that it is an absolute for getting a job. I have shoulder length hair, and usually wear pulled back in a barette. I don't look good with short hair, when you have curly hair, it just does not work, especially in a place that is humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment