Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

I have a little personal oil heater... my office is outside in an aircraft hangar with no temp control whatsoever. I have blankets, jackets and my wonderful fluffy ugg boots. I also recommend scarves, hats and fingerless gloves (helps with typing). I'm also going to try a pair of fleece lined leather boots that look like regular ankle boots, but with extra insulation. Also, leggings or flannel under your work pants work wonders.

I get creative when it comes to being cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Sounds like you are basically in a running conflict with your boss.I really son't thnik it was nayhtig do to do with the heater really. She wnats you to quite it sounds likje ;so atke a breate and start acting lie you have a pair ebcause you have litle to lose.Chuckle next time like its a joke ans see what she does. Report you for using the heater?

Old 11-04-2010, 11:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have a little personal oil heater... my office is outside in an aircraft hangar with no temp control whatsoever. I have blankets, jackets and my wonderful fluffy ugg boots. I also recommend scarves, hats and fingerless gloves (helps with typing). I'm also going to try a pair of fleece lined leather boots that look like regular ankle boots, but with extra insulation. Also, leggings or flannel under your work pants work wonders.

I get creative when it comes to being cold

Get yourself a set of those thermal undergarments skiers use (the silk are lightweight and wick well). I used them the first year I was in this country never having come up against snow/ice and the kind of temps you lot have here in winter LOL

Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
When you find a new job and quit--because this crap will go on and on and on until you do--pick up some shrimp for lunch on your last day. Put it in the potted plants, in the curtain rods, and on the top shelf of every closet. If the office is cold enough, you will be long gone by the time it starts to reek, but reek it will...

Old 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
A cold is caused by a virus, not from being in a cold office.
Being cold will weaken your immune system (to an unknown degree), which can make it easier for you to catch a cold. Without knowing the specifics, it's impossible to form an opinion. Maybe it's 72 degrees in there and the OP weighs 85lbs, then she may be 'freezing'.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
I kinda agree with your boss. The rest of the office shouldn't have to sweat their collective behinds off just because you get a chill when it is 66 degrees in there. Put on a sweater!
I have to agree with this statement, since I'm the type who won't use a heater unless it's FREEZING. But it also depends on just how cold the office is... if it's like 68 wear a coat, however if it's 58 you have a valid complaint.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I have to agree with this statement, since I'm the type who won't use a heater unless it's FREEZING. But it also depends on just how cold the office is... if it's like 68 wear a coat, however if it's 58 you have a valid complaint.
I keep my house at 68 degrees, if I feel cold I don't turn up the heat, instead I put on more clothes. It's how I was raised to think, so it's possible your boss isn't giving you a load of BS, maybe she was raised by frugal parents like I was.
Also as someone who doesn't have much tolerance for heat I agree with some of the others, that while it might seem too cool to you it may not feel that way to others.
Thermal undies do sound like a good investment if you plan to continue working there. Maybe one of those mug warmers so that you always have a hot cuppa to wrap your hands around too.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:20 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Some of you might recall my previous post about the "where to park the car issue" that I had with my boss. Well, a new, even more exciting issue has emerged.......

Yesterday, it was cold. Not frigid, mind you....but cold enough to be uncomforatable. So, I did the natural thing. I turned on the heater that was behind me so that I could warm up a little.

Well, about 15 minutes later my boss sits down at the chair beside my desk and informs me that we do not turn on heat in the winter. We "put on more clothes", if we are cold. The only time we would consider putting on the heat is if (and this is a direct quote), "our fingers were turning blue". She mentioned to me that her husband (the other manager) wears a coat in his office when he gets cold. She informed me that I am welcome to wear socks, sweaters, jackets, whatever I like (as long as it looks nice).

Her reasoning behind this was that "everybody in the office" likes a different temperature, and what might be too cold for one person might be too hot for another". And also, "that we have people coming in that have been working outside, and it feels too hot for them".

Of course this is all BS.. The fact of the matter is that she is too cheap to pay for heat- so everyone (myself especially) is supposed to suffer for it. I contacted the labor board, who told me that "he has heard it all now", but that they cannot do anything.

I am really amazed. So this morning I made sure to wear some pretty funky looking WARM clothes which DID help. But still, I do not like the idea that I have to dress like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow man to be comfortable.

This really ticks me off. Any ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Unless you could get your coworkers to go together with you and refuse to dress for winter and refuse to work in those conditions, I say you are screwed. I would be curious if the boss had heat in his office or not. I would suggest dressing crazy with wool hat, earmuffs etc, but we had a woman do this at my office (also cool) and all it did was get her labeled as a kook and everyone made fun of her for dressing the way she did behind her back. I wish you luck on this one.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:43 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
This has nothing to do with the temp. in the office-it has everything to do with being in control. It is obvious your boss doesn't care for you and she will do whatever it takes to make things "uncomfortable" for you-maybe she sees you as a threat or she just doesn't like you. I hate to say this but it will continue. I suggest looking for employment elsewhere. Why would anyone want to be treated like a child?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Since the very first post, about the parking issue which showed she was being a spiteful b**ch, I think I said it was only going to escalate. It has clearly escalated now to the temperature issue. This is why I try to avoid working for women bosses. They take pleasure in beating it into the ground about who is in control - it's like "I'm the boss and I'll make sure you remember it." I would start looking for another job. If she's cheap about parking signs, heat in the office, then I doubt she's paying or going to pay you 100K per year. I don't know, do you think you will get a raise with these people? They must have a high turnover rate, as she sounds like a nasty, tyrant to work for. Well, today it's the heat, tomorrow it will be something else. Start looking for a better job....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment