Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Some of you might recall my previous post about the "where to park the car issue" that I had with my boss. Well, a new, even more exciting issue has emerged.......

Yesterday, it was cold. Not frigid, mind you....but cold enough to be uncomforatable. So, I did the natural thing. I turned on the heater that was behind me so that I could warm up a little.

Well, about 15 minutes later my boss sits down at the chair beside my desk and informs me that we do not turn on heat in the winter. We "put on more clothes", if we are cold. The only time we would consider putting on the heat is if (and this is a direct quote), "our fingers were turning blue". She mentioned to me that her husband (the other manager) wears a coat in his office when he gets cold. She informed me that I am welcome to wear socks, sweaters, jackets, whatever I like (as long as it looks nice).

Her reasoning behind this was that "everybody in the office" likes a different temperature, and what might be too cold for one person might be too hot for another". And also, "that we have people coming in that have been working outside, and it feels too hot for them".

Of course this is all BS.. The fact of the matter is that she is too cheap to pay for heat- so everyone (myself especially) is supposed to suffer for it. I contacted the labor board, who told me that "he has heard it all now", but that they cannot do anything.

I am really amazed. So this morning I made sure to wear some pretty funky looking WARM clothes which DID help. But still, I do not like the idea that I have to dress like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow man to be comfortable.

This really ticks me off. Any ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Some of you might recall my previous post about the "where to park the car issue" that I had with my boss. Well, a new, even more exciting issue has emerged.......

Yesterday, it was cold. Not frigid, mind you....but cold enough to be uncomforatable. So, I did the natural thing. I turned on the heater that was behind me so that I could warm up a little.

Well, about 15 minutes later my boss sits down at the chair beside my desk and informs me that we do not turn on heat in the winter. We "put on more clothes", if we are cold. The only time we would consider putting on the heat is if (and this is a direct quote), "our fingers were turning blue". She mentioned to me that her husband (the other manager) wears a coat in his office when he gets cold. She informed me that I am welcome to wear socks, sweaters, jackets, whatever I like (as long as it looks nice).

Her reasoning behind this was that "everybody in the office" likes a different temperature, and what might be too cold for one person might be too hot for another". And also, "that we have people coming in that have been working outside, and it feels too hot for them".

Of course this is all BS.. The fact of the matter is that she is too cheap to pay for heat- so everyone (myself especially) is supposed to suffer for it. I contacted the labor board, who told me that "he has heard it all now", but that they cannot do anything.

I am really amazed. So this morning I made sure to wear some pretty funky looking WARM clothes which DID help. But still, I do not like the idea that I have to dress like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow man to be comfortable.

This really ticks me off. Any ideas?

20yrsinBranson
Quit.

Seriously tho, your state must have laws about what temperature it's illegal to keep people working indoors? Find out what it is, buy a thermometer and keep it at your desk. Log if/when the office temp reaches or gets close to that temp and report it to the AG's office.

And if they don't turn on the heat, why do they let you have a heater?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Quit.

Seriously tho, your state must have laws about what temperature it's illegal to keep people working indoors? Find out what it is, buy a thermometer and keep it at your desk. Log if/when the office temp reaches or gets close to that temp and report it to the AG's office.

And if they don't turn on the heat, why do they let you have a heater?
The heater was put there before the existing owners bought the business.

I don't know for certain, but I would wager that there is no law governing indoor work temperature conditions.

But thank you for the advice. I will take it under advisement.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
stab the **** in the face, plea hypothermia caused brain to go in twilight state.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Bring in a personal heater, that is what my wife has always done. But then again she does it in the summer when the a/c is blowing cold

Old 11-04-2010, 01:16 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
A situation like this would drive my creativity and imagination into overdrive,
a temptation to have a good time I could never resist!

Imagination/creativity: plug it in!

Just be careful of surveillance cameras today, and have fun!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:17 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,872 times
I kinda agree with your boss. The rest of the office shouldn't have to sweat their collective behinds off just because you get a chill when it is 66 degrees in there. Put on a sweater!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Bring in a personal heater, that is what my wife has always done. But then again she does it in the summer when the a/c is blowing cold

That is a really good idea, but then they'd probably complain about the electric bill. Years ago I worked for a company that added cubicle "offices" wherever they could find room. My particular cubicle, that I shared with a coworker, was at the building's exit, and the door was opening and closing all day, letting in frigid air. One wall was a floor to ceiling window, letting in more drafts. Their answer was to cover it up with plywood. Helped a little, but not much. This area had no heating vents. We brought in space heaters from home, but these required extension cords. Nixed by the fire marshall. We sat there in our coats, scarves, gloves (typing not as fast in those) and hats. They eventually added insulation to the window, but by then it was spring.

Seriously, if you end up catching cold, they will have to address it. Unsuitable working conditions come to mind.

Stay warm, and keep complaining. The squeaky wheel...

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
CDC - Office Environment & Worker Safety & Health - NIOSH Workplace Safety and Health Topic

Why not contact NIOSH for advice? Part of providing a safe and productive work environment includes office temperature and humidity. Cool/cold temps have effect on periphery - hands and feet - first. There could be health hazards for some folks to have temperature induced vessel constriction due to cold. While cutting down on the power bill may save money, staff unable to be effective and efficient nullifies the cost benefit. If running a heater during business hours is going to tank the company, they have more problems than cold hands and feet.. I'd be looking around at alterative employers, though I know that is tough to do these days. Best of luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Seriously, if you end up catching cold, they will have to address it. Unsuitable working conditions come to mind.
A cold is caused by a virus, not from being in a cold office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment