Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times

Advertisements

Well wouldn't you know it. The day after management called the customer service teams in for a meeting to discuss metrics and ways we can improve our performance, executive management decided to slash our workforce in a couple of offices. Employees who had shown loyalty for years were suddenly told their services were no longer needed. You read about it a lot, but it's only when it happens to you that the volatility of your industry/the job market hits home.
But there are two sides of the coin and so let's discuss the pros and cons of lay offs.

To start, let me just say that I'm rather pleased that the guy who had been competing for my workload and tried to convince my supervisor to give him my busiest day is now gone. She let him help a bit and my workload did get reduced a bit, but it was only for a few weeks. Plus a few annoying women are gone too so I'm happy about that. Those women irritated me to no end due to their rude loudness. I never thought they would get the boot. But they did. So those are the pros of the lay offs.

But the bad news is, hyena girl is still there (there's this really annoying girl-her manager is the same way) who laughs like a hyena, yells like she's in a bar instead of an office and is just a pest. Every time she comes around I feel like leaving the room or wearing earplugs. Another con of this lay off is the loss of one of the hotties. Damn, she was nice and cute. Looks and personality. Great combo!
Another con is the fact a company, who in my 4 years of employment never laid anyone off, can and will use this tactic to trim costs. So it makes you wonder if you're next and does convince me to at least start looking.

What about you? What do you think the pros and cons of economic lay offs are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I've no answer to your question but I do think you're on the short list and in fact thought you were already looking for alternative employment. Oops, I forgot for a moment that you have me on the childish "ignore" CD feature. Silly me.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I've no answer to your question but I do think you're on the short list and in fact thought you were already looking for alternative employment. Oops, I forgot for a moment that you have me on the childish "ignore" CD feature. Silly me.
LOL ! I repped ya..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:35 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Well wouldn't you know it. The day after management called the customer service teams in for a meeting to discuss metrics and ways we can improve our performance, executive management decided to slash our workforce in a couple of offices. Employees who had shown loyalty for years were suddenly told their services were no longer needed. You read about it a lot, but it's only when it happens to you that the volatility of your industry/the job market hits home.
But there are two sides of the coin and so let's discuss the pros and cons of lay offs.

To start, let me just say that I'm rather pleased that the guy who had been competing for my workload and tried to convince my supervisor to give him my busiest day is now gone. She let him help a bit and my workload did get reduced a bit, but it was only for a few weeks. Plus a few annoying women are gone too so I'm happy about that. Those women irritated me to no end due to their rude loudness. I never thought they would get the boot. But they did. So those are the pros of the lay offs.

But the bad news is, hyena girl is still there (there's this really annoying girl-her manager is the same way) who laughs like a hyena, yells like she's in a bar instead of an office and is just a pest. Every time she comes around I feel like leaving the room or wearing earplugs. Another con of this lay off is the loss of one of the hotties. Damn, she was nice and cute. Looks and personality. Great combo!
Another con is the fact a company, who in my 4 years of employment never laid anyone off, can and will use this tactic to trim costs. So it makes you wonder if you're next and does convince me to at least start looking.

What about you? What do you think the pros and cons of economic lay offs are?
Do you have many (or any) friends at work or in your personal life?

Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 PM

924 posts, read 2,230,670 times
Today our supervisor called a meeting asking us how we felt about this week's lay offs. I wanted to tell her I was really happy that a bunch of loudmouthed ******* were gone but decided to hold my tongue. It turns out our team has to pick up the slack and do their work now. How lovely.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
Today our supervisor called a meeting asking us how we felt about this week's lay offs. I wanted to tell her I was really happy that a bunch of loudmouthed ******* were gone but decided to hold my tongue. It turns out our team has to pick up the slack and do their work now. How lovely.
Think of it as "job security".

TVSG could take lessons from you and TKramer regarding how to not SAY what you're thinking...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment