Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 03:51 AM

269 posts, read 371,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you left a job on bad terms, it is better to be honest about it in the interview so there are no surprises when the current employer calls for a reference.
I don't agree - mentioning that you left a job on bad terms could hurt you. I would say just don't give those employers as references.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 03:59 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It's very simple, really. If you suspect that someone is vindictive and giving out a negative reference, call them yourself or have someone else call to see if that person is in fact maligning you! It's a no brainer. Send them a cease and desist letter and threaten to sue. Then give the company lots of negative reviews all over the Internet. Give them a dose of their own medicine. Some people are vindictive in this life and that is that.Fact of life! Unless you are a HARDENED lowlife scum mass murderer criminal and actually deserve a negative reference, nobody has any business giving out bad references. People do make mistakes on the job. People deserve a second chance. I see businesses screw over employees all the time. I see it in the papers or on tv constantly. The elaborate ways in which big and sometimes small companies just do all kinds of nasty, selfish things to hardworking loyal people just because they can. So absolutely no, it is NOT allright to give negative references. Even if the reference is true, the poor victim has a right to sue. People have a right to reboot their lives and start with a clean slate. Now someone evil like Jeffrey Dahmer or Bernard Madoff, ok I can see giving them bad references.

Exactly Mystique. Thank You

Old 05-08-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
I guess you are of the belief an employer is always in the right. And no, unless the person has been charged with a crime, that employer has NO right whatsoever to blackball an individual from earning a living.

That seems to be the norm around these forums. Everything an employer says is gospel and absolute truth. There is no way they would lie or make up anything

Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM

137 posts, read 199,652 times
It's not illegal but employers are careful with what they say about a former employee so they won't be accused of slander. The magic question is: Is John Doe rehireable? If the employer says no that opens the door for further inquires and that's when more information i.e. character references can be added.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post
It's not illegal but employers are careful with what they say about a former employee so they won't be accused of slander. The magic question is: Is John Doe rehireable? If the employer says no that opens the door for further inquires and that's when more information i.e. character references can be added.

Too bad lots of potential employers won't even bother with further inquiries. Once they hear a former employer say that someone is not rehireable, they won't go any further and will pass on that applicant. That is what the poster tonysam was addressing in his posts.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,977 times
Wont a background check show the employer anyway if you leave them off? Also what if you are being hired by a state agency? Can they check your unemployment records to see if you were fired previously?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
I don't think most employers rely on references much anymore. The references you provide to them are bound to be positive, or else you wouldn't provide them. And even a negative reference, or being fired, it would seem most employers would know that sometimes a job is just a bad fit, and for every "bad" employee there are just as many "bad" supervisors.

I mean, I was fired, then a year later the people who fired me were both fired and investigated for all kinds of malfeasance.

Also, many women have experienced sexual harassment and when they won't "play ball" they get fired, and I don't care what anyone says, but trying to bring charges against the bad guy and pursue a lawsuit and everything is very difficult and time-consuming. Also things can be hard to prove when it's a he-said, she-said. Better just to leave the job.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
and for every "bad" employee there are just as many "bad" supervisors.

Agreed.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:07 PM

189 posts, read 275,809 times
It's not illegal, but can certainly be actionable, in terms of filing suit or what have you. I've been told on several occasions that many companies have a policy of doing pretty neutral reference checks, as otherwise they could be in danger of getting sued.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precious8 View Post
Of course they can verify employment but....... is the former employer liable for defamation if they cause the former employee issues with obtaining employment based on their(former employer) negative "comments" regarding that former employee... In the past I verified employment dates but was prohibited from offering negative information regarding the reason for the ending of the employment relationship.
In America, the fact that something is supposed to violate employment law doesn't stop anyone from violating. We can probably count on our fingers the number of times a plainant has sucessfully sued an employer for defamation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search