Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM

43 posts, read 129,643 times

Advertisements

On the survey for a position I'm applying for it has multiple radio-button options for pay. I'm not sure what to put. Obviously I'd like to click the button for $15+, but would it be wiser to click the minimum wage button and get me a better chance of getting the position? I'm entry-level, by the way, so it's not like I should necessarily be getting MORE than minimum wage, but would it look better if I clicked a higher wage or go the safe route and go lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
If you check the higher wage they probably won't even consider you for the position. That is the whole point of asking so they don't waste their time interviewing a person that has no intentions of working for a low wage.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM

43 posts, read 129,643 times
That's what I figured. I checked the lower wage option.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
If you have the experience, go for somewhere in the middle. Choose the option you normally are paid.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 PM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,406 times
Baloney. Pick the HIGHEST WAGE, but be able to explain to the employer why you are worth it. If you picked "minimum wage" the employer probably thinks if you don't think you are worth more, then they don't either.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:45 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Is this a new thing? I think it's stupid. Why don't you just tell us how much the job pays and then we can decide if we want to work there?

Bidding for a project or a contractor role is one thing, but a plain old entry-level hourly job? Maybe they are hoping enough people click on "minimum wage" to give them enough qualified people to choose from for interviewing and hiring, whereas saying "this is a minimum wage job" would turn some people off.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister sugar View Post
On the survey for a position I'm applying for it has multiple radio-button options for pay. I'm not sure what to put. Obviously I'd like to click the button for $15+, but would it be wiser to click the minimum wage button and get me a better chance of getting the position? I'm entry-level, by the way, so it's not like I should necessarily be getting MORE than minimum wage, but would it look better if I clicked a higher wage or go the safe route and go lower?
It can backfire on you, if you say you're willing to work for a lower wage. Like you don't feel you're "worth" the higher wage or something. Then, they won't hire you at all. Find out what the going rate is for that job/business and give them that.

Personally, I feel that I'm OVERpaid. But they won't cut my pay any.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:07 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It can backfire on you, if you say you're willing to work for a lower wage. Like you don't feel you're "worth" the higher wage or something. Then, they won't hire you at all. Find out what the going rate is for that job/business and give them that.

Personally, I feel that I'm OVERpaid. But they won't cut my pay any.
Well maybe you should quit your job and get one at McDonald's'. That way you can only get what you feel you are worth

Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I don't think that ANYONE should get more than $10 an hour. I don't care if you're an award winning lawyer or surgeon or scientist. No one alive needs to make more than $10 an hour.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:17 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't think that ANYONE should get more than $10 an hour. I don't care if you're an award winning lawyer or surgeon or scientist. No one alive needs to make more than $10 an hour.
To survive, maybe. But what's wrong with people wanting to make enough money to get things they want in life? What if you want to save up and buy a house? How can you buy a house for $10 an hour in 2010, almost 2011?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment