Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,735,288 times

Advertisements

How's the best way to go about applying to multiple jobs within the same company? For example, I saw that Fedex has a "ton" of jobs in the same office center (I'm assuming), many of which I would be very interested in. If I were to apply to all the ones I'm interested in and in, what are some helpful hints if questions regarding the reasoning behind me applying to all those jobs (besides, to increase my chances?) Is this common these days?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM

299 posts, read 1,129,424 times
Is it common to apply to several jobs within the company? Sure, I do. Some of the larger companies are so large that different departments deal with certain parts of the company. Many times your resume may go to a different HR person then say another resume for another job.

I applied for a job (almost got it but it went to an internal candidate) at a mid size company. The recruiter told me that there would be another job coming up that she was aware of... in another department and that she had no control over it but that she would be more than happy to forward that to the appropriate person.

So bottom line, apply to several positions in the same company. You never know the workings and most likely it's not just one HR group for ALL the jobs. You do what you gotta do these days and if that means blanketing your resume at the same company. Do it.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,435,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
You do what you gotta do these days and if that means blanketing your resume at the same company. Do it.
Yes, but the original poster would be advised to fine tune or tailor his resume for each job. Look at the keywords and skills in the requisition. Can the resume go into more detail on the desired skills? For example, if you're a hardware guy with some software experience and you apply for a hardware job, great. But what happens if you are applying for a more software oriented position? It might be worth it to ensure the resume better addresses the desired software skills.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,514,620 times
I have applied for multiple jbos in the same company, sometimes jobs that arent even related. As a new grad I did this. I imagine once you got some experience pick one or two jobs that are related. If your applying for everything from Supply Chain Management to receptionist I think it might come off as you not really having a strong skill set but just wanting any job they have. I can totally relate to this as I've done it before as well but just something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search