Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:19 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times

Advertisements

When I'm having a tough moment during my day I love to revisit this little
'Pity Party' to remind myself how good I actually have it and to remind myself that I actually do have a brain that can get me out of any jam. Thanks for the dailyboost.
Koale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
Don't think about what you used to do. Be flexible and find something else that you can make money. Don't blame our government, it's up to us to make our lives the way we want to. Depending on the government is only going to set you up. Count your blessings if you are healthy. Sit down and write down what you like to do i.e. bake, cook, housecleaning, babysitting, pet sitting, etc. You CAN make money in this economy.

You said you were an administrative assistant in the past. Go into healthcare and become an administative assistant at a hospital. No matter what the economy is, people get sick and they need healthcare.

Try to stay positive and look at things differently. Try not to be too negative because it does show when you are looking for a job. Good luck!
Don't you realize that a thousand other AAs have already applied? Sick people don't go to hospitals to see an AA, they need medical personnel.

Oh, and the hospitals aren't hiring either.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Don't you realize that a thousand other AAs have already applied? Sick people don't go to hospitals to see an AA, they need medical personnel.

Oh, and the hospitals aren't hiring either.
Rep'd yah on this one...I just now got my umpteenth reject email for you guessed it - a secretary job in the PACU...I met all the criteria but, they won't even let you submit a resume - just an online app with no way to "toot your own horn".

Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Rep'd yah on this one...I just now got my umpteenth reject email for you guessed it - a secretary job in the PACU...I met all the criteria but, they won't even let you submit a resume - just an online app with no way to "toot your own horn".
Thanks! I'm so sick of people telling me to go into the medical profession in some capacity. My brother is a paramedic with 30 years experience. His hospital closed last spring, leaving 6,000 without jobs; doctors, nurses, emergency responders, administrators, secretaries, supply personnel, radiologists, janitors. Most were 9/11 responders and will have health problems of their own soon, if they don't already. Most are still out of work.

I also asked my Mammo tech about that field. She said all the radiology and x-ray fields are locked up. An x-ray tech told me the same last June when I had surgery. There is just no where to go.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM

2,747 posts, read 465,301 times
I hear all of you and am in the same boat as many. The only difference is that a week after I lost my job of 30 yrs. I found out I had cancer. I thought my world had ended. But, I survived. It has now been almost 2 yrs. and I still don't have a job. I was able to get into a retraining program paid for by the government, so am now going to college and still collect unemployment. It's not paying all my bills but am able to survive. Live in a small town with no job openings at all. Never planned on going to college at my age and don't know if I'll ever get a job in my field, but it passes the time and can't hurt. I find it depressing also to think about where the future is headed for all of us unemployed persons, and I know I have no info to brighten up your day, by giving you news about where you might find work. All I can say is your not alone, there are many, many of us in the boat with you. I try always to look at that positively, but it's hard and every time I think about that boat with that many people in it, I wonder how long it will be before it gets overloaded and sinks. That's me, be positive and then look for the negative.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 PM

258 posts, read 540,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyaskwhy43 View Post
I wonder how people can say things like:
--just go find a retail job?
--take your skills and do something else
--move to find a job
--it's just all about networking

or a dozen other stupid comments those WITH jobs say to those without.

How many of you out there with out jobs were in supervisory or administrative jobs that no longer exist? There is a whole section of jobs that have been destroyed by the recession.

Mickey D's doesn't want administrative assistants. They don't want shipping clerks or accountants at Sears or Kohl's...

Faking and dumbing down your resume is not going to guarentee you a job.

Every day at the library I see folks old, young and middle aged looking for work on the computer. I see them in the stores, filling out psychological profiles for jobs that pay very little and who will not hire them. I see them trying to listen to all the people who say:
1.Tweak your resume
2. Tell everyone you need a job
3.Get re-training
4. Do ANY JOB!!!

What a joke...as if...

We're all suffering. Today it's me, tomorrow maybe you--so take time to value what you have, today, no matter how modest.

Here come the holidays and now it's time to spend or just keep your head above water.

Christmas displays depress me. I can't do retail therapy or even buy many of the necessary things I need to keep on job hunting (nice clothes or haircuts). Sometimes just getting my laundry done is a hassle because I don't have much money.

My spouse and I are both unemployed, have no benefits and live with relatives who are kind but do not have any idea what it is like to try to get a crappy job, let alone one that pays the bills. The come home and say "Sears is hiring!" or "This (store) has a big sign that they are hiring." They tell us to "just go there" and "get off the computer" and we will be hired.

Um, maybe you haven't heard:
1. They ask you to apply ONLINE, Mom
2. We've been down there, Dad--they don't want us. They have 300 people or more for these jobs. We're over 40, they want kids or maybe 20 somethings, or maybe...no one...really...

This is bad, bad, bad....

But, don't pity me.

Instead, enjoy today. Don't complain about what you have NOW.

So, today when you pick up your dry cleaning from the cleaners, grab that take out meal, perhaps pay for some date, or anything NORMAL people do, please remember how blessed you are.

I haven't been normal for a long time. I wish I would have counted my blessings when I had them. Now it's too late and we are just another couple of people who have to carry on and hope we score jobs before we run out of money or get kicked out by the relatives or both.

Taking a low paying job is very hard to get motivated to do. What motivated me was getting kicked out of my relatives house. The only thing that motivated me was sleeping in my car and begging for money for food. A few days of that and I took any crappy job that came along.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
Oh, but you're so WRONG that hospitals aren't hiring. They're hiring all the time.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
I just read that you're in NYC. It might be different where you live with hospitals. I'm a medical biller and I've been able to find jobs.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:39 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
My hospital hires RNs and counselors. All new grads, no experience, low starting rates (and the counselors are usually putting in only a year or two of work before going off to advanced degree programs, although I've observed that the long-time workes/lifers have far better skills).

Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyaskwhy43 View Post
I wonder how people can say things like:
--just go find a retail job?
--take your skills and do something else
--move to find a job
--it's just all about networking

or a dozen other stupid comments those WITH jobs say to those without.

How many of you out there with out jobs were in supervisory or administrative jobs that no longer exist? There is a whole section of jobs that have been destroyed by the recession.

Mickey D's doesn't want administrative assistants. They don't want shipping clerks or accountants at Sears or Kohl's...

Faking and dumbing down your resume is not going to guarentee you a job.

Every day at the library I see folks old, young and middle aged looking for work on the computer. I see them in the stores, filling out psychological profiles for jobs that pay very little and who will not hire them. I see them trying to listen to all the people who say:
1.Tweak your resume
2. Tell everyone you need a job
3.Get re-training
4. Do ANY JOB!!!

What a joke...as if...

We're all suffering. Today it's me, tomorrow maybe you--so take time to value what you have, today, no matter how modest.

Here come the holidays and now it's time to spend or just keep your head above water.

Christmas displays depress me. I can't do retail therapy or even buy many of the necessary things I need to keep on job hunting (nice clothes or haircuts). Sometimes just getting my laundry done is a hassle because I don't have much money.

My spouse and I are both unemployed, have no benefits and live with relatives who are kind but do not have any idea what it is like to try to get a crappy job, let alone one that pays the bills. The come home and say "Sears is hiring!" or "This (store) has a big sign that they are hiring." They tell us to "just go there" and "get off the computer" and we will be hired.

Um, maybe you haven't heard:
1. They ask you to apply ONLINE, Mom
2. We've been down there, Dad--they don't want us. They have 300 people or more for these jobs. We're over 40, they want kids or maybe 20 somethings, or maybe...no one...really...

This is bad, bad, bad....

But, don't pity me.

Instead, enjoy today. Don't complain about what you have NOW.

So, today when you pick up your dry cleaning from the cleaners, grab that take out meal, perhaps pay for some date, or anything NORMAL people do, please remember how blessed you are.

I haven't been normal for a long time. I wish I would have counted my blessings when I had them. Now it's too late and we are just another couple of people who have to carry on and hope we score jobs before we run out of money or get kicked out by the relatives or both.
My advice would be look for anything that brings in some cash, even if it is not a traditional "job". Stop in at some small businesses and ask if you can do a couple jobs for them for cash. Many opportunities are not advertised on a website or at a major retailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment