Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,409,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
You have nothing to worry about. If you present well, they'll be thinking that your manager was letting you do it to compensate for the low pay. You learned your lesson so everyone will be happy.

In any interview, 80% is making a personal connection with the interviewer. The rest is just having skills and history that justify hiring you. In the kinds of jobs you're looking at, 99% is the personal connection.

Obviously, if you were struggling before then it's time to reduce your expenses unless you end up landing a job that pays significantly more.

I'm out. Best of luck to you!
you're right!

I had minimal expenses to begin with. Now that I have my car paid off its easier, but there's always extra's like right now I have glasses/contacts to pay for that are pretty urgent and car work to do otherwise I can't get to work. I even had to move back home so I really have nowhere else to cut costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 AM

311 posts, read 694,033 times
I would not tell them you where fired.Most employers only tell them your position and dates worked if they are called.'Are you eligable for rehire' is a question that many employers won't answer because of liability.So roll the dice and tell them you where laid off or you quit for some reason.Better odds than telling them you where fired.Sorry if I offend the 'you must be honest when finding work' hipocrites.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I would not tell them you where fired.Most employers only tell them your position and dates worked if they are called.'Are you eligable for rehire' is a question that many employers won't answer because of liability.So roll the dice and tell them you where laid off or you quit for some reason.Better odds than telling them you where fired.Sorry if I offend the 'you must be honest when finding work' hipocrites.
I always thought they had to tell of rehire status.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:31 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
You should turn it around into a positive experience like others said. I would explain in a nice way that there was a miscommunication between your immediate supervisor, district manager and yourself and tell the details like the previous person explained and that mistake won't happen again.

And I don't think the op has too many expenses to cut back on. Its just hard in general to take care of yourself while in school and working.

I know since your car is paid off that will help. You should be able to get a job. You just need to impress them in the interview.

Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
You should turn it around into a positive experience like others said. I would explain in a nice way that there was a miscommunication between your immediate supervisor, district manager and yourself and tell the details like the previous person explained and that mistake won't happen again.

And I don't think the op has too many expenses to cut back on. Its just hard in general to take care of yourself while in school and working.

I know since your car is paid off that will help. You should be able to get a job. You just need to impress them in the interview.

Good Luck!
Thanks! ya, if it asks on applications, I've been putting down "miscommunication".

I had an interview at Macy's this morning which went really well and the HR lady said she liked me...except my availability wasn't going to work for them cause of my school schedule.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:31 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Thanks! ya, if it asks on applications, I've been putting down "miscommunication".

I had an interview at Macy's this morning which went really well and the HR lady said she liked me...except my availability wasn't going to work for them cause of my school schedule.
Lol....Well I don't think I would put that on the app but I would explain it that way.

Hopefully the other store will work out.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Lol....Well I don't think I would put that on the app but I would explain it that way.

Hopefully the other store will work out.
I don't see anything wrong with it. It'll pique curiosity.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. It'll pique curiosity.
No, it doesn't pique curiosity. When you're looking at applicants for lower level service positions and you see someone write "mis-communication", you think to yourself, uh-oh, we have a bull**** weaver here. Next applicant, please.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 PM

haha, well then what do I put on the app?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
haha, well then what do I put on the app?

Leave it blank, or N/A(Not Applicable). You want to have a chance to explain things to an interviewer. Implicating yourself on an application won't help your chances at obtaining the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment