Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:02 AM

10 posts, read 47,984 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I applied to the Cashier position at Best Buy in Iselin, New Jersey, and I would like to know what were your experiences from working from Best Buy? I would also like to know what would be my starting pay might be for the full-time Cashier position at the Best Buy location I described or at any other Best Buy location. I'm curious to learn all the good things I heard about it. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
I'll add to your questions. What kind of discount do you get?

Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 PM

12 posts, read 35,477 times
I worked at BBY for 5 years 18 - 23 as Sales. This was a fun job during college years but as i got older the BS, college drama and Sunday meetings started to annoy me. I am not sure how it is now but when i worked in 2008 the managers became real anal probably due to the bad economy and due to pressure to perform. I would recommend this job to someone either still in college or as a stepping stone until you find something better. I have seen too many friends and co workers drop out of school because they got promoted to manager / supervisor and thought making 50k was a big deal. They are now stuck in a dead end job kissing ass to corporate without a degree to pursue a professional career.

The discount was pretty good. Depending on the product the employee discount was just above cost and some accessories ending up being 80% off.

I started as Sales but the starting position for cashiers was about 8.00 - 8.50 (Chicago, IL)
Sales associates was about 9.00

Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorxtr View Post
I have seen too many friends and co workers drop out of school because they got promoted to manager / supervisor and thought making 50k was a big deal. They are now stuck in a dead end job kissing ass to corporate without a degree to pursue a professional career.
And they are probably better off than a lot of people who got a degree and are making minimum wage in menial jobs.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:46 PM

543 posts, read 3,077,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorxtr View Post
I worked at BBY for 5 years 18 - 23 as Sales. This was a fun job during college years but as i got older the BS, college drama and Sunday meetings started to annoy me. I am not sure how it is now but when i worked in 2008 the managers became real anal probably due to the bad economy and due to pressure to perform. I would recommend this job to someone either still in college or as a stepping stone until you find something better. I have seen too many friends and co workers drop out of school because they got promoted to manager / supervisor and thought making 50k was a big deal. They are now stuck in a dead end job kissing ass to corporate without a degree to pursue a professional career.

The discount was pretty good. Depending on the product the employee discount was just above cost and some accessories ending up being 80% off.

I started as Sales but the starting position for cashiers was about 8.00 - 8.50 (Chicago, IL)
Sales associates was about 9.00
How long did it take for them to get promoted to manager and make 50k? I think that is a big deal, since liberal arts major usually gets starting salary of about 30-something k.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Being a manager in retail SUCKS. You are not working 5 days a week from 8-5. After all the hours you put in and all the kissing ass and other bs, your pay equals to a 12 bucks and hour job. My husbnad was a manager for RadioShack, making over 50 grand a year, but he worked 6 days a week from open to close. On his days off he still have to come in or take phone calls. It was not worth the 50 grand and if he was payed hourly he would have mmade much more. It would be STUPID to drop off school to be a retail manager. Plain Stupid!

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 PM

56 posts, read 284,949 times
I worked at a Best Buy for a while. Advancement in the company is extremely difficult, especially since the reorg they did to get rid of individual dept. managers once the recession hit. It's great for a college student (or recent grad these days) or a high school student. The pay is low, the hours are terrible, and the sales pressure can be difficult. As a manager, that sales pressure is intensified.

I worked on the sales floor, and I felt like a zombie. Constantly chasing customers around and pitching things upon them at checkout. There are worse jobs out there for sure, and I did not hate the job, however it is not a career option for the majority of employees. You will learn a lot about emerging technology, and the discount is awesome. For a cashier position you could probably expect $8-9 and hour. At my store in NC, nobody was hired on full-time from the start. It was a dogfight for anybody part-time to advance to full-time. If you are being hired on full-time from the start, consider yourself lucky on that.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael66 View Post
Hi guys, I applied to the Cashier position at Best Buy in Iselin, New Jersey, and I would like to know what were your experiences from working from Best Buy? I would also like to know what would be my starting pay might be for the full-time Cashier position at the Best Buy location I described or at any other Best Buy location. I'm curious to learn all the good things I heard about it. Thanks guys!
The discount is 5% above cost. Whatever price BBY pays for it, you pay that plus 5%. Most items get almost no discount (because there is no profit). These items are the major items like PCs, TVs, appliances. But on accessories, you will easily get 1000% discounts. A cable that costs $70, you will pay $5 for with discount. They make money on the accessories, not actual items.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
From what my girlfriend says, favoritism is how you get promoted. So, if you get along with the managers well, that is the most important thing. Plenty of her managers were complete idiots but they were all friends so there was no way to improve things without going all the way up to the store manager which leapfrogged like 3 managers.

The discounts are SICK for Best Buy made products like Rocketfish (audio equipment) and Dynex (computer cords). I remember she got me a Dynex cord for my comp to TV, cost about 45 retail and she got it for 7 bucks.

I use to work for RadioShack and a couple of my coworkers worked at Best Buy prior to RadioShack. They complained that they want you to sell like a salesmen without getting any commission from the sale.

From what I know, its easiest to get promoted in the mobile department since there is high turnover and you have to learn alot since you learn mobile and you have to do sales stuff when its slow in mobile.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I work part time (seasonal stuff) for a marketing company that hocks a few different brand name products and one of my 'stops' is at a local Best Buy. From what I've noticed this year, all the employees look frightened, like they're going to be fired at any second. The managers are pretty cold towards their employees and basically treat me like I'm not even there, which is perfectly fine with me.

It just doesn't seem like a fun place to work, but that could vary by location. At least there are good looking guys working there to keep me motivated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment