U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 2,039 times

Advertisements

Most places I applied for a job had me fill out a employment application which had a section asking for three people who they could contact and discuss my qualifications and experiences. This was not for the purposes of a verification of employment, but instead so the employer could find out about your previous work experiences and what type of employee you were.

Trouble is I just left a job of five years that I was fired from. They said I was a bad fit. I never went through any progressive discipline process of a warning and proformance improvement plan, one day they just fired me. I was blind sided! Now I have no professional references because my last employer told everyone not to respond to reference calls including my old bosses and coworkers.

So I had to move to plan b. That was getting three Google Voice Mail accounts and having myself, my wife and my brother have professional sounding messages acting like we were business people. So after a bit of interviewing I became a finalist for a job and they asked me if it was OK to call my professional references. So a Professional Background Check Company called me and my two other fake professional references and asked questions about me. My wife and brother using fake names, did great after being coached on what to say. I of course said wonderful things about myself using a fake name. We threw in a few development issues and small personal weaknesses to make it seem honest.

I got the job and my boss told me to thank my Professional References for getting back to the people who did the check so quickly. My employment was verified at my last three employers and as per my agreement with my last employer, they did not say I was fired.

Is honesty always the best policy. No, not in today's world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Well it worked for you - so far - but I'm an employer and if I ever found out you'd pulled something like that on me I would let you go in a heartbeat. I would far prefer someone be honest and just the fact that you devised such an elaborate scam would make me wonder what else you might be able to come up with to the detriment of my business. Just saying!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 AM

17,580 posts, read 21,138,047 times
Congrats for being unethical. Pretty impressive to not only act in this way, but to then post it on the internet.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,039 times
My employer was not ethical when he fired me for no reason and told everyone who worked with me not to be a professional reference. Most employers who treat applicants poorly are not ethical either. It is war out there, and we have to do what we can to survive.

If they find out and I am fired they are not going to ask for my paychecks back. I will still be ahead because I will have money and more experience until the axe falls. If I had not lied I would be sitting home now broke and alone. Now I have a job. Desparate times means desparate measures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Congrats for being unethical. Pretty impressive to not only act in this way, but to then post it on the internet.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times
Hey, what the heck........if this worked for him and everything went fine, more power to him!! I don't necessarily believe in being dishonest/lieing, but when "push comes to shove" concerning getting a job......I'd do the very same thing!! Remember folks, the "employment search world" out there today is a very hard one and for those that don't have the perfect job history, gotta do something to help it become more perfect looking!!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 AM

5,682 posts, read 10,504,262 times
MUST agree with this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored and Silly View Post
My employer was not ethical when he fired me for no reason and told everyone who worked with me not to be a professional reference. Most employers who treat applicants poorly are not ethical either. It is war out there, and we have to do what we can to survive.

If they find out and I am fired they are not going to ask for my paychecks back. I will still be ahead because I will have money and more experience until the axe falls. If I had not lied I would be sitting home now broke and alone. Now I have a job. Desparate times means desparate measures!

Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM

5,078 posts, read 8,857,938 times
Quote:
Most places I applied for a job had me fill out a employment application which had a section asking for three people who they could contact and discuss my qualifications and experiences. This was not for the purposes of a verification of employment, but instead so the employer could find out about your previous work experiences and what type of employee you were.

Trouble is I just left a job of five years that I was fired from. They said I was a bad fit. I never went through any progressive discipline process of a warning and proformance improvement plan, one day they just fired me. I was blind sided! Now I have no professional references because my last employer told everyone not to respond to reference calls including my old bosses and coworkers.

So I had to move to plan b. That was getting three Google Voice Mail accounts and having myself, my wife and my brother have professional sounding messages acting like we were business people. So after a bit of interviewing I became a finalist for a job and they asked me if it was OK to call my professional references. So a Professional Background Check Company called me and my two other fake professional references and asked questions about me. My wife and brother using fake names, did great after being coached on what to say. I of course said wonderful things about myself using a fake name. We threw in a few development issues and small personal weaknesses to make it seem honest.

I got the job and my boss told me to thank my Professional References for getting back to the people who did the check so quickly. My employment was verified at my last three employers and as per my agreement with my last employer, they did not say I was fired.

Is honesty always the best policy. No, not in today's world!

These days, I say do whatever you need to do in order to get the job. You can bet that most people have "padded" something about either their resume or their experience or references.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM

4,348 posts, read 4,971,762 times
I agree why do employers even do professional references nowadays? Almost every established company won't say anything useful. Most other companies won't say anything negative. Anyone who says something negative without extreme cause it is probably more a reflection on them than the person who they are giving the reference of (extremely petty, spiteful, and unprofessional).

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 AM

22,482 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
I guess you've never heard the old adage that two wrongs don't make a right?

Years ago, I moved to completely new territory where I had a job all lined up. I quickly realized that my new employer was a totally unethical and amoral piece of work and, three months into the job, I was fired for the first time in my life. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was high and dry in a place where longevity wasn't the norm for "newbies" and getting a job was extremely difficult when one didn't know the right people. Through a stroke of sheer luck I landed an interview with a great company through a friend of a friend. Having a firing on my only local record was a big hurdle but I was honest about it, without mentioning the name of the employer. My prospective boss then asked me point blank for whom I'd worked and I told him. I got the job (a fabulous position which I had for 10 years until the company changed hands) and only later found out that the employer who fired me had a terrible record with the company who hired me. He had rented warehouse space he was finally evicted from for non-payment and a bunch of other reasons. Being fired and being honest about it definitely worked to my advantage.

Point two. I took on a bartender in my current business a couple of years ago. Had him in training for a couple of days and then he was on his own. He had provided me with local references and work history which all looked on the up and up but which I unfortunately hadn't checked on. After a few days on the job little discrepancies started cropping up which made me very uncomfortable and I decided to check the references. When I checked the last place of employment, a very well-known local establishment where he said he had worked for six months, I discovered that he had actually worked there for only three weeks and had been fired for misconduct and misappropriation of funds. When I asked him about it he shrugged and said, "Oh well, I didn't think you'd check because most people here don't." I fired him on the spot. He apparently couldn't find another job and left the island.

I'm way more careful now, my instincts are well honed and, although I still make mistakes from time to time, my point is that I'm a firm believer that honesty is the best policy. What you did was conniving and totally dishonest and I find it very saddening that some posters are giving you kudos. Good luck in your new job.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 AM

17,580 posts, read 21,138,047 times
Heck, you may as well start stealing from your new employer to get back at your old employer for something they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment