Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 14,847 times

Advertisements

Recently I accepted a job offer that required me to relocate to Montana. They have offered me $2500 in relocation reimbursement ($1000 after I complete orientation, $1500 after I turn in the receipts from the movers, hotels, food, gas, etc.). The problem I am having is that I have spent the $10,000 that I borrowed from my in-laws to get me set up here in Montana and they just told me that orientation will be moved out 1 month. Now that leaves me completely broke, with bills I have to pay, Thanksgiving coming up, and a plethora of other things that I need money for to last me the next month.

My question is: Will it be unprofessional of me to ask my employer to advance me the $2500 to live on for the next month. I really don't want my employer's first impression of me to be that I can't handle money. I would appreciate any advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:44 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
I doubt that they will give it to you. Did you have a contract, with a definite start date? Also, is this a federal job, or a private employer? If this is a federal job, they won't give you an advance at all. I doubt a private employer will either. That is messed up. Well, at this point, I suppose you can go apply for food stamps, as you don't have any imcome...not that it helps much.

When I started a job once, they expected me to start travelling, and staying places, on my credit card, with payment a month later. I told them up front, that I did not have the money for that, and was given a travel advance, but that money was taken out of my last check when I stopped working there.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:28 PM

This is a private employer so I am hoping that they will be somewhat empathetic (since they were the ones who changed the start date). I didn't sign any official paperwork stating that my start date was solid but they were the ones who told me when I could start so I had no reason to believe that they would change it. Oh well. Guess the kids will be eating Ramen for Thanksgiving (I wish that were an exaggeration ). I would totally do the grub stub thing but I am pretty sure that will take longer to get approved than just waiting for my first check. Thanks for the advice, I may just bite the bullet and ask anyway. At least that way I can tell the kids I tried!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:57 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
You are eligible for the first month of food stamps expedited, with the next month needing verifcations. Just ask for them right away. The first month is free. Then for the follow up months, you need to send in all the required paperwrok. Just take in the kid's birth certificates, and have their SS numbers. That is all you need. And your own, of course...it is worth doing.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks I appreciate your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment