Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times

Advertisements

Hi all
If you are a hiring manager or know about hiring, I have to ask about affirmative action. How exactly does it work? Does it mean you have a "quota" of how many minorities (including women) you have to hire? Does it mean you need to have a certain % of minorities on payroll at all time? Do you (your company) get any type of incentive for hiring minorities?

If 1 position was open and it came down to 2 very qualified candidates: A white male and a woman of color, would the woman of color be more likely to be selected?

I'm looking for true, non-racist replies only.
Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:44 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
When the EEOC proves that discimination has occurred, sometimes they require the company to take action to correct imbalances in their labor force. That is affirmative action.

In regards to your example, if the company has a proven history of discrimination or an unjustifiable imbalance in workforce, then it's likely the minority would gain the benefit of the company's past discriminatory practices and be offered the position.

If a company doesn't have a proven history of discrimination, then they're not required to submit to affirmative action recommendations.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:02 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
So, basically if a company feels like they don't have enough women, they will hire women? If a company doesn't have enough blacks, they will hire blacks?
Hmm.

I don't see how this is fair?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
So, basically if a company feels like they don't have enough women, they will hire women? If a company doesn't have enough blacks, they will hire blacks?
Yes, because for some crazy reason, when white people were given the benefit of the doubt from the 60's to the end of the 70's, African Americans "coincidentally" continued to only occupy low level jobs.

Basically, during the series of discrimination cases before the Supreme Court during the 70's, white America proved that it was racist and needed to be forced to be decent.

Quote:
I don't see how this is fair?
It's not fair. It's equitable. Thank 1960's and '70's American business for being so racist that the Fed had to drop the hammer on freedom. Thank many businesses since then for continuing the practice.

Even today, the steady stream of EEOC-won cases proves that white America still refuses to judge on qualifications and, instead, resorts to using the same measures that put you in your "unfair" situation.

My friend, you are collateral damage from a bigger fight. I don't expect you to be open minded about it. America has always had a warped sense of freedom; a freedom that depends on one group being burdened to, essentially, subsidize another group's "freedom". Whether it's slavery, Jim Crow or white privilege, your people have always benefitted. I don't expect you to be okay with the tables taking a 90 degree turn to help benefit the minorities against your people.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:21 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Lightbulb 'Your People'...

Alright then...now I get the jest of the majority of your posts. Thank you for the clarification. I no longer need to wonder what you are implying most of the time.
K

Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Alright then...now I get the jest of the majority of your posts. Thank you for the clarification. I no longer need to wonder what you are implying most of the time.
K
What do you mean? Are you assuming that I'm not white?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
As an American whio is a foerign employee of a foreign company operating in the US, Affirmative Action and Descrimination is a key part of our hiring process. We don;t want to be accused of violations when hiring US workers based as US workers.
I have found that affirmative action requirments are almsot always based on violations of descrimination in hiring and seldom is based on a companies desire to hire a certain group to meet a certain quota. Most have Affirmative Action requirments because they were caught descriminating and have to make balance the workforce. This is not just to have numbers but to keep their butts out of legal trouble again. many times the Affirmative Action requirments are short lived or may only apply to a certain job or a certain class or to correct a serious past problem. I think there are so few real Affirmative action hiring requirments but when it happens it becomes a big thinga nd so it sounds like its widespread and is going on all the time.

I understand you may not see it as fair because you were not hired but was it fair to the qualifed person who didn't get the job before that caused the affirmative action requirments to kick in? I alsio think it has to be a serious case of hiring decrimination to require affirmative action to be imposed ona company, and not just a case or two.

Also affirmative action hiring is legal in some cases. Look at all the religious organizations in the south that wanted to exclude certain people based on religion or marital status. Unmarried couples were not hired and they claim descrimination but they were told that in certain "non profit" organizations, the organization could set certain hiring requirments that are violating EEO if it conflicts with their organization mission. I think if some can make that argument for legal descrimination, all employers should have equal rights to descriminate based on company philosophy. But we don;t let priavte companies descrimiante unless they claim religion which for some reason is acceptable? Don;'t understand that. So maybe complaints about descrimantion and affirmative action should be sent to the church to explain.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM

183 posts, read 467,442 times
Discrimination*

Old 11-20-2010, 07:39 PM

100 posts, read 291,560 times
In our area, a photo of the workforce at many, many businesses will show 1 or 2 white workers out of 40 or 50 workers. It does not seem equal to me.
Recently, my daughter was told by the electric utility they will not accept applications from whites at this time.
There is no use saying the sun is out when it is raining, there are challenges that are not being addressed in hiring.
I think the above poster states things fairly clearly ..."We don't want to be accused of violations..."
Lawsuit economy.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilady View Post
In our area, a photo of the workforce at many, many businesses will show 1 or 2 white workers out of 40 or 50 workers. It does not seem equal to me.
Recently, my daughter was told by the electric utility they will not accept applications from whites at this time.
There is no use saying the sun is out when it is raining, there are challenges that are not being addressed in hiring.
I think the above poster states things fairly clearly ..."We don't want to be accused of violations..."
Lawsuit economy.
Title VII protects whites as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment