Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will we be out of this recession?!
0-6 months 3 3.37%
1-3 years 19 21.35%
3-5 years 17 19.10%
5-10 years 15 16.85%
Never. 10% UE is the new normal, just like Europe. 35 39.33%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
First, it's not a recession, it's a depression. Last, it's not going away. I know no one wants to hear that, but it's reality. Our future is higher prices, higher taxes, lower wages, lower standard of living. United Kingdom living standard, if we're lucky.
I totally agree! We are where we are going to be. The 'Good Old Days' are over and we need to recreate whatever it is we plan to have in the future. The lost jobs are not coming back. That is as plain as the nose on your face.
Gas prices will not go down and taxes will do nothing but continue to increase. It's scarey as hell to think the American Public is still allowing itself to be so mislead during elections. There is no point in stewing over it because it is what it is. The only thing we can change is our own destiny. I hope to hell I am wrong. I truly do and I am happy for those who are able and willing to wait around for it to happen. But, I'd get busy and look around at the reality. It is really quite disturbing to watch people cheer when a person is paid tens of millions of dollars for hitting a baseball or listening to politicians brag about the billions of dollars spent to 'help' other needy countries. It baffles me that a new 'affordable housing' development in my community boasts that home prices will start in the mid to high $400's while cutting state workers pay and furloughing jobs each month? Huh? This is new 'affordable housing' for public and county workers? New automobiles costing over $45,000, who's reality is this? It's the new reality and that's all it is. The New Reality. It is The New America. Times are no longer changing...they have already changed. We better get on board.
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:11 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Man, there are a ton of depressing pessimistic people on here. This will not become the new normal. The entire country would have to become so damn apathetic to accept this. Ah, the good ol' days. I wonder why we can't go back to that...who knows? Wheres my can of beans...I love beans for dinner.

2010 is not as bad as 2009. I think 2011 will be better than 2010. I think 2012 will be the first year where it will be nearly as good as it was before things hit the fan.

You guys sound like we're about to become Soviet Russia during the cannibalistic days. My family is having real financial issues but they are safe. My grandparents had to move to America due to war. Meaning, they had to leave everything they knew so they can remain alive. People really need to realize things are bad for sure but they could be AWFUL.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Yeah, I just read a story in Smithsonian magazine this month that gave some instances of what people went through during the depression - we are lucky we have the safety nets. People were giving away their children so the kids could have food for chrissakes.

A Yuletide Gift of Kindness | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian Magazine

A very uplifting story btw

Personally I think unless we can get the country's growing debt back in order we have doomed ourselves. Unfortunately rather than get real growth industry jobs in here, they will choose to raise taxes on the middle class again I fear.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I guess it depends on where you live, where I live...there is no visible sign of this being 'the worst recesion since whatever'...

That's almost laughable...how one can project their own situation across the landscape...

I know everytime I drive past a food court in the mall areas, on Friday or Saturday nights, the whole place is packed with brand new cars and people eating out...packed solid like a football stadium...

If that what 'hard economic times' represent to Americans...than boy have we become spoiled and pampered...

I just don't see this 'great depression' that people speak of, never did see it, but then again I'm not one to believe or follow other peoples rhetoric, for political purposes...

And I'm sure as soon As Obama gets out of office...suddenly the reccesion will be declared over....

So so transparently predictable...

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Man, there are a ton of depressing pessimistic people on here. This will not become the new normal. The entire country would have to become so damn apathetic to accept this. Ah, the good ol' days. I wonder why we can't go back to that...who knows? Wheres my can of beans...I love beans for dinner.

2010 is not as bad as 2009. I think 2011 will be better than 2010. I think 2012 will be the first year where it will be nearly as good as it was before things hit the fan.

You guys sound like we're about to become Soviet Russia during the cannibalistic days. My family is having real financial issues but they are safe. My grandparents had to move to America due to war. Meaning, they had to leave everything they knew so they can remain alive. People really need to realize things are bad for sure but they could be AWFUL.
Never question another person's view of the horrors that are going on in THEIR life or their LOCATION.

Southern California (LA in particular) has no damn decent paying jobs, unless you are mad lucky or know someone.

Not a pessimist just a REALIST. Glad things are not as bad in YOUR life, but don't call out others on what's happening to THEM.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:08 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I guess it depends on where you live, where I live...there is no visible sign of this being 'the worst recesion since whatever'...

That's almost laughable...how one can project their own situation across the landscape...

I know everytime I drive past a food court in the mall areas, on Friday or Saturday nights, the whole place is packed with brand new cars and people eating out...packed solid like a football stadium...

If that what 'hard economic times' represent to Americans...than boy have we become spoiled and pampered...

I just don't see this 'great depression' that people speak of, never did see it, but then again I'm not one to believe or follow other peoples rhetoric, for political purposes...

And I'm sure as soon As Obama gets out of office...suddenly the reccesion will be declared over....

So so transparently predictable...
This isn't a racial thing.

Unless you're saying that as soon as we get a white president all of the corporate bigwigs are going to suddenly start rehiring at pre-recession wages again and give the longterm unemployed positions from out of nowhere.

Um, I seriously doubt this. Obama already said to be prepared for it to be this way for another 5 years. I guess this does correlate with his presidency, doesn't it? Bush & Co. are to blame for purposely letting Wall Street go unchecked.

Clinton is to blame for signing NAFTA agreement which set in motion other agreements to send millions of jobs overseas. What's worse is that American workers had to train their cheap labor counterparts to do their jobs.

Oh, another thing, the entire world is going through some sort of economic meltdown and last I checked Europe (east or west) doesn't have any black leaders running them into the ground.

Just sayin'....

Old 12-21-2010, 12:21 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Never question another person's view of the horrors that are going on in THEIR life or their LOCATION.

Southern California (LA in particular) has no damn decent paying jobs, unless you are mad lucky or know someone.

Not a pessimist just a REALIST. Glad things are not as bad in YOUR life, but don't call out others on what's happening to THEM.
Of course not, but you do realize that living in this country even in the current state is a far better plight than living in the slums of Mexico City, Dehli, etc.

I would also wager that the folks in Iraq and Afghanistan would love to have the kind of poverty that is here in the US where you have at minimum some social programs both government and charity. Heck, closer to home I imagine folks in Port au Prince and Juarez would like to feel the poverty and dismal world of the American depression.

I grew up below the poverty line and my family used to lament how horrible it was. But you know what, we actually owned a house. A house my grandma was able to sell to help her live off of for awhile for only about 30k, but still a house that was paid for. Our poverty reality was such a far cry from what folks have to even contend with south of the border.

I am not saying your life is great or that you are not experiencing something horrible, but I can say when a handful of years ago when the only thing I had to eat was white rice and margarine for lunch and dinner (even at Christmas) I was still grateful I was here in the US versus many other places.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Of course not, but you do realize that living in this country even in the current state is a far better plight than living in the slums of Mexico City, Dehli, etc.

I would also wager that the folks in Iraq and Afghanistan would love to have the kind of poverty that is here in the US where you have at minimum some social programs both government and charity. Heck, closer to home I imagine folks in Port au Prince and Juarez would like to feel the poverty and dismal world of the American depression.

I grew up below the poverty line and my family used to lament how horrible it was. But you know what, we actually owned a house. A house my grandma was able to sell to help her live off of for awhile for only about 30k, but still a house that was paid for. Our poverty reality was such a far cry from what folks have to even contend with south of the border.

I am not saying your life is great or that you are not experiencing something horrible, but I can say when a handful of years ago when the only thing I had to eat was white rice and margarine for lunch and dinner (even at Christmas) I was still grateful I was here in the US versus many other places.
So by comparing the US to third world countries is supposed to make people feel better? We're on the fast track to becoming a third world nation.

There was an interesting segment on 60 Minutes with a woman who predicted the housing crisis. The next thing to go is state municipal bonds. This is going to happen in 2011.

As Al Jolson said in the Jazz Singer "you ain't see nothing yet folks".

These are very scary times. When interviewed she was asked why aren't more people in America paying attention. She said "because people in America only pay attention after it happens"....truer words were never spoken.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
This isn't a racial thing.

Unless you're saying that as soon as we get a white president all of the corporate bigwigs are going to suddenly start rehiring at pre-recession wages again and give the longterm unemployed positions from out of nowhere.

Um, I seriously doubt this. Obama already said to be prepared for it to be this way for another 5 years. I guess this does correlate with his presidency, doesn't it? Bush & Co. are to blame for purposely letting Wall Street go unchecked.

Clinton is to blame for signing NAFTA agreement which set in motion other agreements to send millions of jobs overseas. What's worse is that American workers had to train their cheap labor counterparts to do their jobs.

Oh, another thing, the entire world is going through some sort of economic meltdown and last I checked Europe (east or west) doesn't have any black leaders running them into the ground.

Just sayin'....
I know it's not, you know it's not, but there are many others who pipe out propaganda from radio and tv shows that exploit whatever obvious slant they can to further their cause...

Be it political party, or ideology or color...it varies from induvisual...

It benefits the party out of power to make things seem far worse than they really are...(that's politics for you)...

They, meaning both parties, like to play with our emotions and fears, in hopes of getting their own back into office...that's just how the game is played in politics...

Even if your political opponent does exactly what is right...the party out of power will never admit such...

Anyways...I'm drifting off point...

Back to unemployment or this being the worst since the black plague times in Europe...

I just don't see it...but then again...I've been at the bottom wrung my whole life...so what the upper income makers are going through now...I, and others have been going through since leaving home at 18....it's just normal every day hussle and bussle life for many...

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So by comparing the US to third world countries is supposed to make people feel better? We're on the fast track to becoming a third world nation.

There was an interesting segment on 60 Minutes with a woman who predicted the housing crisis. The next thing to go is state municipal bonds. This is going to happen in 2011.

As Al Jolson said in the Jazz Singer "you ain't see nothing yet folks".

These are very scary times. When interviewed she was asked why aren't more people in America paying attention. She said "because people in America only pay attention after it happens"....truer words were never spoken.
No, I am not saying it is supposed to make people feel better, but I am saying in the grand scheme of things-- what the US is going through right now is not the end of the world.

And I think it is a little ridiculous to equate the US turning into a 3rd world nation. 9.7% unemployment or even 10% unemployment is not 3rd world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment