Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:58 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,320 times

Advertisements

I know some Christian-based businesses here that only hire Christians. How can they get away with that? Does it matter if they are profit or non-profit? To say it PC - "the issue of religious hiring bias by faith-based charities that receive federal funds."
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Very good question and here is an add in my local paper ran this week:

Quote:
WE Have (15 to 20) jobs available every week for men & women: But First you must turn back to God and humble your self through prayer. The prayer room is open every Saturdays at 12noon
it goes on to give contact info.

Aside from the fact I find it very offensive I think they are getting away with it just like companies are getting away with blatant age discrimination. People are so desperate for work they won't complain. I did email the news paper pointing out that this add is discriminatory but it will go no where as usual.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:36 AM

97 posts, read 320,627 times
So I actually could use my Return Missionary status to get a job in Utah once I get back then?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM

8,936 posts, read 20,359,009 times
Actually, we (wife/I) see nothing wrong with this! If a company or place wants religious people to work for them, that actually is entirely up to them. There are certain things that places require for employment........that is their decision. A Christian book store would obviously want Christians to work for them and, during an interview, will make that clear as a stipulation for employment. The way things are going today, applications will soon be (if not already) asking questions like "do you smoke?", "do you have children?" and so and so on.
We have to stop throwing that word "discrimination" around so much! Sure, there are some things, like age, that the word can be used for. But, it seems like everytime someone finds out things a company wants or doesn't want it's "discrimination".
Some company owners look at it like this way: "It's my company and I will hire who I want to!"

Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM

357 posts, read 727,319 times
I've never seen those.
Then again, I've never lived anywhere but NYC.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, we (wife/I) see nothing wrong with this! If a company or place wants religious people to work for them, that actually is entirely up to them. There are certain things that places require for employment........that is their decision. A Christian book store would obviously want Christians to work for them and, during an interview, will make that clear as a stipulation for employment. The way things are going today, applications will soon be (if not already) asking questions like "do you smoke?", "do you have children?" and so and so on.
We have to stop throwing that word "discrimination" around so much! Sure, there are some things, like age, that the word can be used for. But, it seems like everytime someone finds out things a company wants or doesn't want it's "discrimination".
Some company owners look at it like this way: "It's my company and I will hire who I want to!"
It's against the law! and has been since 1978

Quote:
The Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (CSRA) contains a number of prohibitions, known as prohibited personnel practices, which are designed to promote overall fairness in federal personnel actions. 5 U.S.C. 2302. The CSRA prohibits any employee who has authority to take certain personnel actions from discriminating for or against employees or applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age or disability. It also provides that certain personnel actions can not be based on attributes or conduct that do not adversely affect employee performance, such as marital status and political affiliation.
To read the complete law go here:
Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM

8,936 posts, read 20,359,009 times
I keep reading/hearing about.......it's against the law, BUT, just try and prove it!! Yes, it's a written law, but proving that it happened takes time and money of which the "money" part unemployed people don't have! Age discrimination is against the law as well, but employers do it all the time! An employer finds out your age and you don't get a call back for another interview or tells you "sorry, you're just not a good enough fit for the position", so what can be done........ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!
A lot of places don't give a damn what the law reads cause they know they won't be turned in, or if they are, the person complaining has to prove it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
It's against the law! and has been since 1978

To read the complete law go here:
Federal Laws Prohibiting Job Discrimination: Questions And Answers

Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,030,696 times
I live in NYC and have seen this. If you're not religious, why would you want to work for a religious organization anyway?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
I live in NYC and have seen this. If you're not religious, why would you want to work for a religious organization anyway?

Maybe, on the outside chance, they want to make money?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
What I find interesting though, is that if a company said they wouldn't hire Christians, people would freak out and yell discrimination.

Why doesn't it work both ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment