Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Just go and do your work. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Red face ughhhh...

Just take in a box of donuts once in a while and help everyone to have a good day. You'll fit in in notime.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Ah, just be nice and professional and remember the paycheck.
Do your socializing elsewhere.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
It can be tricky to pull off, because the signals must be read just right, but workplace romances can be successful. At my company I know of several marriages between coworkers.

And another thing someone once told me that gave me pause: "If you really see a romantic possibility at work, you should go for it. For most people, it's easier to find another job than another significant other."
I totally agree with that, but generally speaking it's a good idea to leave flirting out of the workplace... you never know who's going to be offended, and it could make for an uncomfortable situation later.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Try reading the whole thing instructions are there and btw he was my roomie and didn't make me swoon.
My sister had a roommate once who made her swoon... they've now been married for 6 years, and have 2 beautiful children.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:07 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
My advice, grow a set and stop needing affection at work. I worked in a office for 3 years where I hated 25 of the 30 people I worked with. Out of everyone on my team, I got along with my manager the most. I stuck with the few people I got along with. Often times, I just kept to myself. I would listen to my Ipod while eating lunch and keep to my own table. After a while, I really enjoyed it since I'm not the gossip type. I got my work done way faster than everyone else and my managers eventually noticed. I kind of became my managers manger favorite person to ask about events and whatnot because I was unbias.

The flirting idea is beyond stupid. You'll flirt with someone who could get offended or even worse, likes you. Then what? You have a chick who likes you and you probably aren't interested and have a nice awkward conservation.

"yea, I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression but I figured flirting with everyone would be the best way for you guys to accept me as a apart of the group."

Thats just as bad as buying dounts every other week like someone else mentioned. Just grab 12 bucks out of your wallet and shove it in your mouth. Imagine how stupid that would be and look...thats just like buying donuts.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,006,559 times
I agree with one poster; you don't have to be friends with them or eat together, you could just be about business and focus on work.

But, if you must socialize, women love the whole "mars/venus" thing. But, make the subject light-hearted, bubbly and engaging where you both are trying to learn something about one another (gender-wise). Not disrespectful or antagonistic. Guaranteed, they will be asking you about their male issues or coming to you being inquisitive about why males do "X".

Being as though I'm married, I have to compromise with the wifey. Well, it's really no compromise because I can watch Sex In the City or Housewifes of ATL, etc., but she won't watch Battlestar Galactica. But, where I'm going is, my exposure to this stuff afforded me to relate to some women on the job via reality shows or some of these shows. Or, you just don't know, you may be assuming they aren't huge Steelers fans or into sports, etc.

If all else fails, talk about greenhouse gases, energy prices and whether they think Barry, ie Barack Obama, is a natural citizen.

Some questions/statements for the women in your office:
for the 30 year olds:
"Man, how'd Bristol Palin make it this far on DWTS?"
"I heard the new Sex in the City movie was going to start filming in March of 2011."
"I'm single and trying to settle down. What are some good ways to make a great impression on a woman without sounding like you're running game."
"My girlfriend thinks I'm insensitive. All I did was _________. What do you think? Do you and your man argue over stuff like this?"

for the 60 year olds:
"I heard Congress is thinking about upping the retirement age to 69. How do you feel about that?"
"I'm currently risk heavy with my 401(k) because I think the market is gonna bounce back. What do you think?"
"You know they just added the Beattles songs to iTunes. iTunes is a software application by Apple that... well, Apple is this huge IT company that... IT stands for Information Technology and..."

Last edited by ajsmith365; 11-23-2010 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Talk sports. You would be surprised at how many women watch sports. My wife can talk non-stop about sports. There is not one woman here at my current job that I couldn't talk sports with.

My problem is that I am not that into sports, so I really have nothing in common with the guys here either. Except work!

I do feel for you. My wife wouldn't even work with just three women. They would kill each other.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:04 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
If a co-worker was flirting with me, I'd find it extremely inappropriate and unprofessional... there's no feminist agenda there, just a desire for common respect and dignity.
If you want sexuality forced out of the co-ed workplace because you're too insecure to communicate that flirtation from a given person (or people) is uninvited, in my opinion, you are radical because, in my experience, most women like to flirt at work.

If you make up ridiculous claims like "you'll open yourself up to a lawsuit", then you are, in my opinion, pushing an agenda. The fact that you and the other woman have sidetracked a thread to challenge my opinion also leads me to beleive that it's your agenda driving this hijack.

To me, those add up to a radical feminist agenda. As I said to the other woman, I respect your right to an opinion. However, I have a right to my opinion and if I wished to discuss it with you, I'd respond in a thread made for such a topic rather than hijacking this one. Since that thread doesn't exist and I would likely not post in it, please stop hijacking.

Quote:
Would you like a woman you have NO interest in to bother you at work?
No but if I felt it necessary, I would communicate that I didn't feel comfortable with her behavior. That's just part of being an adult.

Give the guy some credit. He's likely smart enough to know that he should discontinue with any woman who reacts negatively.

I also don't want to be bothered by a woman I have NO interest in on a forum. So please stop.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-23-2010 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Your quote was very telling, you automatically assume young equals liberal. i'm in my mid 20's and about as far right conservative as you can get.

This blind political following based on age and race is basically why Obama is in the white house.
Wow, it looks like someone is trying to start a fight by taking me way out of context. Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I didn't see that. I read her relating an experience of being an outsider and she explained why she was an outsider.
Thank you for actually getting the point of the post .

Okay, back on topic, just talk to them if you want to make friends with them. If they act coldly toward you then cut back on talking to them unless necessary and give them time to warm up to you. It is a good idea to become friends with them, but it is not absolutely necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment