Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:06 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times

Advertisements

heres my logic and it may be flawed, but this is my mindset.

they want to charge me 146.13 a month for the cheapest health care plan. any major injury or surgical procedure will bankrupt me, with or without the plan, which makes me wonder why even bother with health insurance.

if something happens im not gonna do, ill be treated. ill go bankrupt, but i wouldve been bankrupt with the health insurance either way.

what i really just care about is dental and short term disability. i could care less about being insured, im mid 20's, in good shape, and dont want to pay 150 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
for someone your age it probably is a waste but once you add another 10, 20 or 30 years it won't be. In that timeframe our health professionals will have developed more treatments to mask more of the diseases we suffer from and bankrupt the whole country. We can't all live to be 100+ years old; its too damn expensive.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:22 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
heres my logic and it may be flawed, but this is my mindset.

they want to charge me 146.13 a month for the cheapest health care plan. any major injury or surgical procedure will bankrupt me, with or without the plan, which makes me wonder why even bother with health insurance.

if something happens im not gonna do, ill be treated. ill go bankrupt, but i wouldve been bankrupt with the health insurance either way.

what i really just care about is dental and short term disability. i could care less about being insured, im mid 20's, in good shape, and dont want to pay 150 a month.
Why not just use the county hospital at no cost to you?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:33 PM

not aware of a free hospital in my area, might be.

i wouldnt use it unless i needed it though.

im the type that believes in your body healing itself, that medications, pills, etc. get in the way.

i havent been to the doctor in 15 years. if i ever needed something major done, i would do alternative treatments and stay far away from the hospitals.

im just talking about a random crash where i need life saving surgery. why have health care covering that when itll bankrupt me. if itll bankrupt me either way, no need in paying the 150 a month

Old 11-25-2010, 04:39 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

im the type that believes in your body healing itself, that medications, pills, etc. get in the way.
Do you carry a rabbit's foot too?

Old 11-25-2010, 06:47 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Default Be cautious...

I'd think twice about not wanting to carry health insurance. Do you carry Auto Insurance? Sometimes that seems like a waste, a huge waste, but 'if' you ever need it, it is there. Mid 20's is a good time to start being prepared for unexpected emergencies.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
Why would having the insurance still make you bankrupt? That doesn't make sense to me.

I had an emergency appendectomy in June. The cost was just over $50,000. My share was $100.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I'd think twice about not wanting to carry health insurance. Do you carry Auto Insurance? Sometimes that seems like a waste, a huge waste, but 'if' you ever need it, it is there. Mid 20's is a good time to start being prepared for unexpected emergencies.
Auto insurance is actually required in most states as driving is a privilege not a right.
OP that seems awfully high for a company sponsored health insurance program. I've never paid more than 80 for mine and have had BlueCross Blue Shield and Kaiser Permanente, also these were tax free and deductible on paychecks.

You might want to go with private high deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Do you carry a rabbit's foot too?
Nothing wrong with a more holistic, preventative approach. What with the dozens, hundreds of pharmaceuticals that have been pulled off the shelves...

Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Without knowing anything about your plan, it is hard to judge. $146.00/mo is actually a very low price, depending on what the benefits are. Are there fairly low benefit limit for potentially expensive things? A high cost share? At that price, I wouldn't expect that to be a totally comprehensive plan, but it is hard to say without knowing more.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:35 AM

ill post it later today when i get home from work. that 146 also includes dental though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment