Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 08:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,554,997 times

Advertisements

Anyone here doing anything to create jobs?

Like starting a business, investing in American businesses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 AM

219 posts, read 562,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Anyone here doing anything to create jobs?

Like starting a business, investing in American businesses, etc.
I'm shopping more at local businesses and large retailers that have a reputation for treating their employees well. Does that count?

Old 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
I started freelancing when I was unemployed. No, I wasn't able to collect unemployment because the tax calender had not rolled over yet, so it was basically freelance writing for pennies or no money at all. I tried starting up my own marketing company in this region, but the counselor at the career center said, "How are you going to do that? Do you have the correct licenses? Do you know the rules behind tax law for small businesses? Can you afford to pay rent on a building in town? You're very young and have no experience with starting a business. Go to the job fair and find a real job."

I've been attending seminars on how to start my own business. Though, the big thing that has stopped me is the tax rules (how to file, quarterly vs yearly, etc.) and legal rules (LLC registration vs sole proprietor, copyright law for trademarks, legal documents needed to start a business, etc.). I asked those teaching the seminars about it and they said that I would have to talk to a tax expert or lawyer b/c they were there to teach people the basics. While starting a business is great, and I hope to do so one day, I can understand how frustrating and confusing it can be. I've talked to a lot of people who own small businesses or home businesses and they say it's actually a lot harder than a regular job, but some of them like the idea of being their own boss.

As far as investing in American businesses, I try to buy American when I can. However, I live in a small town and Wal-Mart is the #1 employer in the area. We don't have mom and pop grocery stores anymore. We have a few local businesses, but for the most part people go to Wal-Mart b/c the average salary in this region is $24,000.

I've been thinking about starting a movement to encourage everyone to call companies which move factories to other countries or use call centers from China, India, Mexico, etc. and start complaining on a daily basis if possible. Also, start encouraging people to contact their government officials and pressure them to tax the crap out of businesses that take jobs overseas and give tax breaks to companies which hire American workers. However, I think a lot of people will complain that prices will rise because of it. I'm still up for the idea, but I'm not sure how many others would join the cause and how many would buck because they would rather have cheaper electronics instead of electronics made in America.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
...said, "How are you going to do that?...

Though, the big thing that has stopped me is the tax rules...

Also, start encouraging people to contact their government officials and pressure them to tax the crap out of businesses that take jobs overseas and give tax breaks to companies which hire American workers.
I once started a business by depositing $175 into a new checking account. Two years later, it was a full-time business. A couple things to keep in mind: 1) I was working in the field the business was started in. 2) I ran the business from home.

It would take your start up a while to make enough money to need a complex tax structure.

Let's not bash other countries. I also try to buy American whenever possible. But, foremost I look for quality. Your power is in *how you spend*, not how much trouble you can cause. If you don't like the products a store sells (for whatever reason) shop at a different store.

Business is about supply and demand. If people demand products from America, that demand will be filled by someone starting an American business.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
I once started a business by depositing $175 into a new checking account. Two years later, it was a full-time business. A couple things to keep in mind: 1) I was working in the field the business was started in. 2) I ran the business from home.

It would take your start up a while to make enough money to need a complex tax structure.

Let's not bash other countries. I also try to buy American whenever possible. But, foremost I look for quality. Your power is in *how you spend*, not how much trouble you can cause. If you don't like the products a store sells (for whatever reason) shop at a different store.

Business is about supply and demand. If people demand products from America, that demand will be filled by someone starting an American business.
I'm not bashing them, but I am thinking of suggestions for attempting to bring jobs back to the U.S. However, I don't know if it would work b/c people usually want to buy products that are decent but affordable. Though, shopping at a different store is pretty difficult here since most of the small stores have shut down. However, I plan on moving in the Spring or Summer, so hopefully that will change.

What kind of business did you start if you don't mind me asking? Was it more service-oriented or product-oriented? I know you can start online businesses for less money, though I'm still trying to figure out what to sell since I'm more of a media and marketing person.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
...I am thinking of suggestions for attempting to bring jobs back to the U.S.

However, I don't know if it would work b/c people usually want to buy products that are decent but affordable.

What kind of business did you start if you don't mind me asking?
Buying U.S. products and services is how to create jobs in the U.S. Because there will need to be U.S. companies to sell them.

I'm not sure what you mean by affordable. I think the higher quality you get the more affordable something is. If you mean cheap, well I don't buy cheap anymore. I used to, but I found I was always shopping to replace the cheap junk that quickly wore out. So, I ended up spending extra money driving around shopping and wasting time that could have been used making more money to buy better stuff.

I started a computer services business. If you're a marketing person then you can start a business easily, quickly, and with very little money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment